RDA slotted and drilled disks

Springs, shock absorbers, swaybars,
Brakes, Wheels and Tyres

RDA slotted and drilled disks

Postby gtsti7 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:28 pm

Image
I know rda are not as good as dba, but I'm looking at getting front and back rda drilled and slotted for my 07 lib sti. Is there still a high chance of if cracking if I don't take it to the track? Thanks
User avatar
gtsti7
 
Posts: 98
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:49 am
Location: VIC
Car: liberty sti 07
Real name: Mike

Re: RDA slotted and drilled disks

Postby dawesy » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:50 pm

From what a guy was saying at a brake and suspension place that rda have changed their manufacturing process to similar to dba weather the quality is as good duno but apparently theyre on the improvement
User avatar
dawesy
 
Posts: 584
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:07 pm
Location: parramtta area
Car: my05 3.0R-B sedan
Real name: Chris

Re: RDA slotted and drilled disks

Postby HyRax » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:30 pm

I've cracked cross-drilled rotors on the street myself - doing a downhill run of Macquarie Pass (NSW). Never again will I buy cross-drilled. It's pretty factor only that cannot handle any remotely serious driving.

And before you ask, they were not cheap rotors either. They were DBA's (their old gold and silver street series, which is mostly just bling-spec anyway). It doesn't matter the brand anyway - cross-drilled promotes micro cracks which very quickly turn into major cracks if the rotor cools unevenly. They are simply not worth it if you like to do the occasional spirited run through a twisty mountain road, especially if you're on a steep downhill run.
I was going to procrastinate, but I put it off...
User avatar
HyRax
 
Posts: 1202
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:25 am
Location: Sydney
Car: ADM MY19 3.6R Outback
Real name: Jeff
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15482

Re: RDA slotted and drilled disks

Postby ferret89 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:41 pm

HyRax wrote:I've cracked cross-drilled rotors on the street myself - doing a downhill run of Macquarie Pass (NSW). Never again will I buy cross-drilled. It's pretty factor only that cannot handle any remotely serious driving.

And before you ask, they were not cheap rotors either. They were DBA's (their old gold and silver street series, which is mostly just bling-spec anyway). It doesn't matter the brand anyway - cross-drilled promotes micro cracks which very quickly turn into major cracks if the rotor cools unevenly. They are simply not worth it if you like to do the occasional spirited run through a twisty mountain road, especially if you're on a steep downhill run.


^ this

Thats pretty much what I heard, drilled rotors leads to cracked rotors. Slotted are the way to go
User avatar
ferret89
 
Posts: 1041
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:23 pm
Location: Brisbane, QLD
Car: Liberty MY08 Tuned by STI
Real name: Daniel
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28511

RDA slotted and drilled disks

Postby gtsti7 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:34 pm

Thanks guys, I thought it was an exaggeration when I heard from others. Can you please explain though why AMG BMW And other good brands put drilled in their sports cars then? Are their quality much better than dba? I am set on only slotted now, but I'm just curious why good car brands use drilled on performance cars if they crack?
User avatar
gtsti7
 
Posts: 98
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:49 am
Location: VIC
Car: liberty sti 07
Real name: Mike

Re: RDA slotted and drilled disks

Postby xyz » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:02 pm

^^ I've always wondered the same
User avatar
xyz
 
Posts: 267
Joined: Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:59 pm
Location: Melbourne
Car: 08 GTB
Real name: George

Re: RDA slotted and drilled disks

Postby J0HNATH0N » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:43 pm

if you are going to go slotted then atleast make sure you go the 4000 series for DBA or the equivalent in other brands. I was told by DBA that they are heat treated or something and will allow more of a hammering....
User avatar
J0HNATH0N
 
Posts: 178
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:08 am
Location: Western Australia
Car: MY06 3.0RB
Real name: Johnathon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=19423

Re: RDA slotted and drilled disks

Postby HyRax » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:15 pm

gtsti7 wrote:but I'm just curious why good car brands use drilled on performance cars if they crack?

Because those rotors are usually made of carbon not iron.

Even those running iron rotors generally have much larger rotors than a typical Subaru, sometimes with aluminium hats, so they dissipate heat far better than a smaller one-piece rotor. Less stored heat, less thermal shock, equals less micro cracks which reduces the chance of a major crack.
I was going to procrastinate, but I put it off...
User avatar
HyRax
 
Posts: 1202
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:25 am
Location: Sydney
Car: ADM MY19 3.6R Outback
Real name: Jeff
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15482

Re: RDA slotted and drilled disks

Postby Deep Heat » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:12 am

dawesy wrote:From what a guy was saying at a brake and suspension place that rda have changed their manufacturing process to similar to dba weather the quality is as good duno but apparently theyre on the improvement


RDA rotors are very good for the money. I had a set on my liberty and a set on mum's commodore. I've got them very hot and they didn't warp or crack. One thing I noticed was that they wear faster than DBA rotors probably because the RDA have less carbon in them.
Jack_Keaka wrote: I like my women like subarus, box explodes and does a head easily.
Deep Heat
formerly Twinkle
 
Posts: 1403
Joined: Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:01 pm
Location: Kellyville, NSW

Re: RDA slotted and drilled disks

Postby cruisn » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:14 am

The RDA's are not drilled, theyre dimpled.......ie, not drilled right through.

Im running them.......

Theyre equivalent to DBA street series rotors which also arent heat treated. Depends what sort of driving you do as to what you need.
User avatar
cruisn
 
Posts: 6560
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:09 pm
Location: Melbourne
Car: MY02 GTB E Tune
Real name: Mark

Re: RDA slotted and drilled disks

Postby HyRax » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:28 am

cruisn wrote:The RDA's are not drilled, theyre dimpled.......ie, not drilled right through.

<squints closer at image on screen>

Hmmm... I do believe you are right. Who on earth advertises dimpled as drilled?

In that case there's no problem. These rotors would last much longer in an abusive situation than drilled rotors would.

/thread.
I was going to procrastinate, but I put it off...
User avatar
HyRax
 
Posts: 1202
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:25 am
Location: Sydney
Car: ADM MY19 3.6R Outback
Real name: Jeff
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15482

Re: RDA slotted and drilled disks

Postby senator » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:10 am

gtsti7 wrote:Thanks guys, I thought it was an exaggeration when I heard from others. Can you please explain though why AMG BMW And other good brands put drilled in their sports cars then? Are their quality much better than dba? I am set on only slotted now, but I'm just curious why good car brands use drilled on performance cars if they crack?


Thermal cracking occurs on cheaper rotors due to the veins between the rotors faces not being thin to disperse the heat.

The rotor below is Audi RS5/R8 OE rotor which is crossed drilled, but look at the how the outer rotor is mounted to the centre hub…… minimal material unlike what RDA & DBA.
Attachments
R8 rotors.JPG
R8 rotors.JPG (15.2 KiB) Viewed 4229 times
Not a soobi anymore, but still slightly dirty
"TEAM TONY"
User avatar
senator
 
Posts: 3217
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:53 pm
Location: SYDNEY


Return to Suspension, Brakes, Wheels and Tyres.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 31 guests