Replacement Wheel Locking Nuts / Socket

Springs, shock absorbers, swaybars,
Brakes, Wheels and Tyres

Replacement Wheel Locking Nuts / Socket

Postby specwarop » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:16 am

Well it seems I am after a new set of nuts, or a replacement socket to fit the current set.

The scumbag dealer mechanic that replaced my LCA bushes forgot to give me back the socket (admittedly I forgot to check) and I just recently noticed.
I contacted him and he said he posted it on the 28th Dec, needless to say I am yet to receive it. So its either lost by Auspost (likely) or he is playing silly buggers.

In any case, I will need to find alternate arrangements. It is the for the standard 18" rims on the 2006 3.0R Spec B.
Can you get replacement sockets, or is it easier just to get a new set of nuts (what size do I get)?
(Also, if you cant get a new socket, how do you get the old nuts off, epic predicament?)

Regards
specwarop
 
Posts: 135
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:30 pm
Location: Perth, WA
Car: Liberty
Real name: Matthew

Re: Replacement Wheel Locking Nuts / Socket

Postby ynot87 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:30 am

try checking the area around the door sills to see if there is a sticker that has the lock nut key type.
User avatar
ynot87
 
Posts: 350
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:12 pm
Location: S.E Melbourne
Car: MY06 Liberty GT TB STi
Real name: Tony
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16443

Re: Replacement Wheel Locking Nuts / Socket

Postby sheppo9 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:34 am

As in the "Genuine" lock nuts?
They are all the same. Go to a friendly dealer (do they still exist?) and ask the parts bloke if you can borrow one to undo your locks.
User avatar
sheppo9
 
Posts: 552
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:44 pm
Location: ACT
Car: An Outback
Real name: Luke

Re: Replacement Wheel Locking Nuts / Socket

Postby specwarop » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:37 am

sheppo9, To be honest, I have NFI if they are genuine or not. How can I tell?
specwarop
 
Posts: 135
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:30 pm
Location: Perth, WA
Car: Liberty
Real name: Matthew

Re: Replacement Wheel Locking Nuts / Socket

Postby sheppo9 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:31 am

Ahh, I just assumed.
Got a picture?
User avatar
sheppo9
 
Posts: 552
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:44 pm
Location: ACT
Car: An Outback
Real name: Luke

Re: Replacement Wheel Locking Nuts / Socket

Postby specwarop » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:39 am

I will have to take a photo tonight.

In the meantime, can you help me find possible replacement nut sets?
I would just want the 4 x locking nuts.
specwarop
 
Posts: 135
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:30 pm
Location: Perth, WA
Car: Liberty
Real name: Matthew

Re: Replacement Wheel Locking Nuts / Socket

Postby ferret89 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:54 am

I don't know about replacement lock nuts, but I can recommend a set of these:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GENUINE-SUBA ... 1094303391
User avatar
ferret89
 
Posts: 1041
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:23 pm
Location: Brisbane, QLD
Car: Liberty MY08 Tuned by STI
Real name: Daniel
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28511

Re: Replacement Wheel Locking Nuts / Socket

Postby specwarop » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:59 am

So its pretty much a standard fit of nut for all Subarus, years and models?
Reason I ask is with Ford, they all are different....
specwarop
 
Posts: 135
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:30 pm
Location: Perth, WA
Car: Liberty
Real name: Matthew

Re: Replacement Wheel Locking Nuts / Socket

Postby ferret89 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:07 pm

Apparently they fit all Subaru models, they fitted my lib
User avatar
ferret89
 
Posts: 1041
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:23 pm
Location: Brisbane, QLD
Car: Liberty MY08 Tuned by STI
Real name: Daniel
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28511

Re: Replacement Wheel Locking Nuts / Socket

Postby specwarop » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:32 pm

I have measured the current locking lug and the inner spline diameter is roughly 16.9mm and the outer spline diameter is 19.3mm. And two of the splines are wider than the others.
So just wondering, would this fit it you do think? Or is my current lug unique?

http://www.amazon.com/McGard-65300-SplineDrive-Installation-Tool/dp/B000COTX9S

I have uploaded a photo here:

Image
specwarop
 
Posts: 135
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:30 pm
Location: Perth, WA
Car: Liberty
Real name: Matthew

Re: Replacement Wheel Locking Nuts / Socket

Postby nze121 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:53 am

65300 should work. if order fm Amxxxn.com , just note that i-parcel need approx 3 week to ship the gear. or u select another faster shipping option.
nze121
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:36 am
Car: BP5

Re: Replacement Wheel Locking Nuts / Socket

Postby specwarop » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:47 am

The splines on the 65300 look to be all the same. Whereas the spline on the nut looks to have thick and thin splines....

For the price anyways, may as well just go a set of these:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/140896710832 ... 1423.l2649

Then its just a matter of getting the old nuts off.
specwarop
 
Posts: 135
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:30 pm
Location: Perth, WA
Car: Liberty
Real name: Matthew

Re: Replacement Wheel Locking Nuts / Socket

Postby specwarop » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:13 pm

Okay, well I bought a new set of Mcgards lock nuts and they arrived today.

However, I cannot get the old lock nut off. The f-wit mechanic never sent the socket.
I also cant seem to find a spline drive socket to fit due to some of the splines on the nut being different sizes.
Also, from what I can tell, the 65300 also have even sized splines.
So how can I get it off. I tried hitting a normal hex socket on it, and it just ends up spinning....

What other options are there before I get out the angle grinder and grind too sides flat for an adjustable (and big bar)....
specwarop
 
Posts: 135
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:30 pm
Location: Perth, WA
Car: Liberty
Real name: Matthew

Re: Replacement Wheel Locking Nuts / Socket

Postby sheppo9 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:50 am

Go to a tyre shop and get them to take them off.
User avatar
sheppo9
 
Posts: 552
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:44 pm
Location: ACT
Car: An Outback
Real name: Luke

Re: Replacement Wheel Locking Nuts / Socket

Postby specwarop » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:47 pm

Okay finally got the old buggers off. Took some pics. Is it just me or does the taper on the new nut look longer, is that an issue?
Installed them, they stick out a bit but not as much as old ones.
Attachments
nuts2.jpg
nuts2.jpg (173.96 KiB) Viewed 2806 times
nuts1.png
nuts1.png (217.57 KiB) Viewed 2806 times
specwarop
 
Posts: 135
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:30 pm
Location: Perth, WA
Car: Liberty
Real name: Matthew

Next

Return to Suspension, Brakes, Wheels and Tyres.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 26 guests