Hi all. I'm hoping to tap into vast knowledge base on the forum please!
About 2 months ago I replaced my stock LCA bushes with the highly recommended Jspeed ones from Garage 88 (Phat), clearly they are a quality product. I got a local suspension place (I won't mention their name) to install them with specific instructions on having the LARGE shim below and SMALL shim above the bushes (which the installer wrote down at the time) as recommended by the manufacturer and the supplier.
Yesterday, whilst having a roll centre adjustment kit installed at the same place, I asked if the installer (same guy) would check the shims he installed 2 months earlier and tell me what size they were. Well it turns out he has put the same size shims top and bottom, ie the medium sized ones, despite my earlier request. Of course he justified his decision by saying there is no reason or benefit for installing a large shim bottom and a small one on top. Whether he is right or wrong, this is information I should have been told at the time he originally installed them. Of course the large and small shims that came with the bushes have since been thrown out by the installer so I don't even have them anymore. (may have to start looking for some).
He is an experienced installer so I trust him to know his stuff, but I don't think I'll be using him again. Unfortunately I'm far from an expert on the science of suspension so I am unable to intelligently argue with him on the subject. In all honesty I'm REASONABLY happy with how the car feels, but if there is a further improvement in turn in and feel to be made simply by moving some shims then I'd be mad not to give it a try. All I'm after is the best possible handling/steering feel with minimal compromise to the ride quality.
Which leads me to these questions...
What exactly does the large shim bottom/small shim top achieve? Obviously it would raise the rear of the LCA somewhat, but why? Is it an increase in castor or something else?
Does doing that have any detrimental effect on ride quality or NVH as compared to having the medium shims top/bottom?
I know that the dedicated thread on the Garage 88 LCA bushes touches on this subject, but I'm really hoping to get some more clarity on the subject.
Any input greatly appreciated,
Mick.

