Brake fade Q:

Springs, shock absorbers, swaybars,
Brakes, Wheels and Tyres

Brake fade Q:

Postby bigBADbenny » Wed May 16, 2012 10:33 pm

When brake fade has been induced, are both front and rear brakes affected equally?

I'm considering purchasing some accessories: titanium shields, to assist in making my brakes more fade resistant, thus inquiring if they are required for rears as well as the fronts.
User avatar
bigBADbenny
 
Posts: 10489
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:36 pm
Location: Collingwood, Melbourne
Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Real name: Ben Richards
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Re: Brake fade Q:

Postby cruisn » Thu May 17, 2012 12:26 am

Rears only do 30% of the braking.

Are you planning on tracking the car frequently?

I did track days with GTB brakes, good pads, rotors and braided lines in my GT Legacy and never got fade....
User avatar
cruisn
 
Posts: 6560
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:09 pm
Location: Melbourne
Car: MY02 GTB E Tune
Real name: Mark

Re: Brake fade Q:

Postby 3rspecb » Thu May 17, 2012 7:02 am

bigBADbenny wrote:When brake fade has been induced, are both front and rear brakes affected equally?
I'm considering purchasing some accessories: titanium shields, to assist in making my brakes more fade resistant, thus inquiring if they are required for rears as well as the fronts.


While your at it, also buy some carbon fibre brake ducts to channel cool air to your rotors.


Sorry Ben but i couldn't resist.
MY06 3rspecb manual sedan, Urban Grey- Shockworks Coilovers '- Gone

MY17 SSv Redline, manual sedan, White.
3rspecb
 
Posts: 1342
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:59 pm
Location: Melbourne
Car: MY17 SSv Redline
Real name: G

Re: Brake fade Q:

Postby 3rspecb » Thu May 17, 2012 7:06 am

cruisn wrote:Rears only do 30% of the braking.
Are you planning on tracking the car frequently?
I did track days with GTB brakes, good pads, rotors and braided lines in my GT Legacy and never got fade....


You can increase the workload of the rear calipers by using a more aggressive pad :wink:
MY06 3rspecb manual sedan, Urban Grey- Shockworks Coilovers '- Gone

MY17 SSv Redline, manual sedan, White.
3rspecb
 
Posts: 1342
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:59 pm
Location: Melbourne
Car: MY17 SSv Redline
Real name: G

Re: Brake fade Q:

Postby bosc0 » Thu May 17, 2012 7:18 am

Benny, you really shouldn't get any sort of fade on the street. If you do, take it a little easier on the roads and don't ride the brakes down steep hills 8)
Any idea what brake pads are in the car?

3rspecb wrote:You can increase the workload of the rear calipers by using a more aggressive pad :wink:


That's what she said :lol:
User avatar
bosc0
 
Posts: 2637
Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 8:22 am
Location: Melbourne
Car: GT SpecB wagon
Real name: Jake

Re: Brake fade Q:

Postby SegR » Thu May 17, 2012 8:15 am

Ewww. You've just made me picture soiled 'calipers'.
Team Beards
Beards Don't Kill People, People With Beards Kill People.
SegR
 
Posts: 1240
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:11 am
Location: Brisbane
Car: MY05 3.0R sedan, black
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14605

Re: Brake fade Q:

Postby Jack_Keaka » Thu May 17, 2012 8:17 am

Better brake pads, replace brake fluid and bleed well, along with some braided lines and you will have no trouble at all. This is exactly what I plan for mine
Apparently i've never been on live television before
User avatar
Jack_Keaka
 
Posts: 3348
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:39 am
Location: Antarctica
Car: 21 Forester
Real name: Jack
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18091

Re: Brake fade Q:

Postby bigBADbenny » Thu May 17, 2012 10:47 am

Thanks for all the replies and you got me nailed!
I don't need these accessories, I want them: just hooked on gizmotronic "upgrades" I think they're harmless, yet somehow, exiting fun.
I'll get over it one day...

And yes I got down Mt Buller, for example, barely using the brakes.
Just wondering if the rears usually get cooked along with the fronts in that particular scenario.
User avatar
bigBADbenny
 
Posts: 10489
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:36 pm
Location: Collingwood, Melbourne
Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Real name: Ben Richards
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Re: Brake fade Q:

Postby Rome_BRZ » Thu May 17, 2012 11:12 am

bigBADbenny wrote:Thanks for all the replies and you got me nailed!
I don't need these accessories, I want them: just hooked on gizmotronic "upgrades" I think they're harmless, yet somehow, exiting fun.
I'll get over it one day...

And yes I got down Mt Buller, for example, barely using the brakes.
Just wondering if the rears usually get cooked along with the fronts in that particular scenario.


Benny save all the money you'd spend on the gizmotronics and upgrade your turbo :twisted:
Rome_BRZ
formerly Rome_STI
 
Posts: 4305
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:06 pm
Location: Sydney, NSW
Car: 2015 Audi S3 Sedan
Real name: Jerome
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12392

Re: Brake fade Q:

Postby bigBADbenny » Thu May 17, 2012 11:28 am

I want to fully exploit the stockness via brakes, driveline and suspension tweaks, then a little aero maybe... :wink:
User avatar
bigBADbenny
 
Posts: 10489
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:36 pm
Location: Collingwood, Melbourne
Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Real name: Ben Richards
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Re: Brake fade Q:

Postby Rome_BRZ » Thu May 17, 2012 11:44 am

bigBADbenny wrote:I want to fully exploit the stockness via brakes, driveline and suspension tweaks, then a little aero maybe... :wink:


No no no you're doing it all wrong, more powah more powah!!

:assassin:
Rome_BRZ
formerly Rome_STI
 
Posts: 4305
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:06 pm
Location: Sydney, NSW
Car: 2015 Audi S3 Sedan
Real name: Jerome
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12392

Re: Brake fade Q:

Postby bigBADbenny » Thu May 17, 2012 12:54 pm

Coming from a twin carb civic the stock GT-B has heaps!
It will only ever be modded engine wise for more response and or reliability :-)
I'm getting the Ti hub insulators via RSLib forum and maybe the Ti piston/pad insulators from HardBrakes...
Do I go f&r or just front? :P
User avatar
bigBADbenny
 
Posts: 10489
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:36 pm
Location: Collingwood, Melbourne
Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Real name: Ben Richards
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Re: Brake fade Q:

Postby Rome_BRZ » Thu May 17, 2012 1:00 pm

bigBADbenny wrote:It will only ever be modded engine wise for more response and or reliability :-)


Last off topic response...but I'm willing to bet this will change within a year :wink:
Rome_BRZ
formerly Rome_STI
 
Posts: 4305
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:06 pm
Location: Sydney, NSW
Car: 2015 Audi S3 Sedan
Real name: Jerome
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12392

Re: Brake fade Q:

Postby bigBADbenny » Thu May 17, 2012 1:13 pm

I wish but I'll be struggling with the budget just to get to where I want!
Let alone the dough to make any meaningful 200Kw + figures. :wink:
User avatar
bigBADbenny
 
Posts: 10489
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:36 pm
Location: Collingwood, Melbourne
Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Real name: Ben Richards
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Re: Brake fade Q:

Postby 3rspecb » Thu May 17, 2012 2:18 pm

I'd go for the ventilated titanium series :roll:
MY06 3rspecb manual sedan, Urban Grey- Shockworks Coilovers '- Gone

MY17 SSv Redline, manual sedan, White.
3rspecb
 
Posts: 1342
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:59 pm
Location: Melbourne
Car: MY17 SSv Redline
Real name: G

Next

Return to Suspension, Brakes, Wheels and Tyres.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 18 guests