any insurance company insure raceway racing too?

Nearly everything is in here to start with.
If it's about your car, or Subaru's in general, put it in "Subaru Chat".

any insurance company insure raceway racing too?

Postby subarugt » Sun May 16, 2010 2:30 pm

Is there any insurance company will insure you even if you go to a raceway?

I am with NRMA atm If anything happened in raceway would NRMA cover?
subarugt
formerly andygt

Car: Liberty GT

Re: any insurance company insure raceway racing too?

Postby moggy » Sun May 16, 2010 3:03 pm

Short answer NO. :!:

8) Bob.
When I give an opinion you have to ask yourself...what the hell does he know about anything!

I started out with nothing....and I've still got most of it left.....

MY07 Liberty GT spec B 6MT Sedan;
P3 Dump|Fujitsubo Legalis R|Whiteline|Enkeis|HKS EVC|Dixcel|Blitz|Greddy|Pink Bits|Brembos|178.6 kw ATW|
moggy

Car: MY07 Lib GTB 6MT

Postby teK-- » Sun May 16, 2010 3:09 pm

Shannons provide racing cover but the premium and excess is ENORMOUS and they said they would only insure vintage/classic vehicles anyway.

Your best bet is to go to CAMS affiliated events where at the very least you are covered for personal liability if you smash up a barrier or something. Damage to your car or to someone else's car won't be covered though.

If you are talking about going to a raceway for a defensive driving course then check your PDS as it may cover you in that case, but usually it's only if it's a course that is to improve driver safety rather than teach you how to drive at high performance.
MY04 2.5i Safety 5MT Sedan "Project Locomotive"
..: JDM Subaru-AVO-Whiteline-Bilstein-Swift Springs-Cusco-Rallitek-GT Brakes-Remsa-K4RT30Y-Blitz-Philips-Défi-STI-Sabelt-Redline-Alpine-Polk Audio-Kenwood-Dynamat :..
teK--
-stickered-

Postby subarugt » Sun May 16, 2010 3:30 pm

can't we get some sort of insurance just for the race day? Damn if Australia wants to improve the motor sport they should come out with some sort of insurance.
subarugt
formerly andygt

Postby teK-- » Sun May 16, 2010 3:33 pm

You probably could but I guarantee it will cost a fortune and there would be a lot of onerous conditions you have to meet.

I used to stress out about it when I first started tracking but then you go once and you realise that if it's a well organised event and you respect the limits of your car and driver, then there is very little chance of something going wrong. I'd say there is a higher risk of having an accident driving on public roads.

Perhaps just go to your first event as an observer or passenger...
..: JDM Subaru-AVO-Whiteline-Bilstein-Swift Springs-Cusco-Rallitek-GT Brakes-Remsa-K4RT30Y-Blitz-Philips-Défi-STI-Sabelt-Redline-Alpine-Polk Audio-Kenwood-Dynamat :..
teK--
-stickered-

Postby subarugt » Sun May 16, 2010 4:28 pm

I never been to any race events before that's why I am worried.

What if someone hits me in the track and don't have money to pay? or what If i hit someone and don't have money to pay? "touch wood"

They don't offer insurance like for just 1 day on the race track?
subarugt
formerly andygt

Postby adhar » Sun May 16, 2010 4:36 pm

If you hit someone or someone hits you, too bad. You would have to come to a personal agreement between the parties involved, but no-one has to as everyone accepts the risks involved before entering the track.

Personally i feel safer on a track with everyone going one direction that i do on a public road.
adhar
-stickered-

Car: VE SS-V

Postby teK-- » Sun May 16, 2010 4:38 pm

If someone hits you then it's up to you to work out with the person as to whose fault it is, and it's a civil dispute you have to resolve. If someone hits you it's not always their fault, see: track etiquette.

In the end if you wanna play you gotta pay!
teK--
-stickered-

Postby Posseltperformance » Mon May 17, 2010 10:36 am

and why would an insurance company want to insure track cars? The risk is enormous and its only a very small market.

andygt wrote:can't we get some sort of insurance just for the race day? Damn if Australia wants to improve the motor sport they should come out with some sort of insurance.

Australia doesn't give a toss about motorsport - hence why Oran Park closed. But even if they did how on earth is insuring a few blokes run around in road liberty's going to improve Australia's standing on the world stage of motorsport?

if you want to race seriously go get yourself a race car or go kart. something where you can rub panels and not worry too much. Improve your race craft and your speed

All those who enjoy having a flog around the track - its great fun and will improve your driving skills, but I think many of you would agree it wouldn't make you ready to enter v8's or similar would it? (all current F1 drivers are karting champions not track day heroes)
2006 (pre-face lift) Atlantic Blue 3.0R Spec B + BajaDesigns Fuego driving lights
Posseltperformance

Car: 2006 Liberty Wagon 3.0RB

Postby tangcla » Mon May 17, 2010 11:20 am

Shannons will, if you can get a policy with them. I think they do just race-day insurance as well.
www.tangcla.com - photography

Canon 5D Mark III x2 | 16-35mm f/2.8L | 24-70mm f/2.8L IS | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS
100mm f/2.8L IS macro | 200mm f/2.0L IS | 580EX-II x2 | 430EX-II | PocketWizard TT1/TT5
tangcla

Car: B6 Audi S4 (4.2L V8)
Profile URL: http://www.tangcla.com

Postby adhar » Mon May 17, 2010 11:29 am

I think Club racing is great grass-roots motorsport. Most people are in it for fun, and not to become the next Mark Webber. It is accessable to almost anyone and doesn't require you to be a "karting champion" or own a fully set up race car. In fact, this entry level stuff is where alot of interest is harvested and will help australian Motorsport survive - i think its sad that there isn't more encouragment for people to join in.

For example; a few years back my old man went along with a friend to a track day and had a passenger lap. He enjoyed it so much he entered his WRX in the next event in a standard class. Now, several years later it is one of the quickest WRX's at the track days he goes to, and now in the 'open' class because of all the modifications, and the car is now his dedicated track car. He has supported many local businesses in buying tyres, brakes, race fuel, engine rebuilds, panel work from race damage etc etc. This is what keeps grass roots motorsport ticking - and what keep motorsport accessable to the everyman.

Another example; A couple of years back my Dad took my cousin for a passeneger lap in his WRX. He enjoyed it so much he went and bought the same model WRX as Dad, and within a year he had won Targa Tasmania Rookie class in that car and had a major sponsorship from Horsepower Factory. Once again, neither my Dad or my cousin will be the next V8 supercar champion, but are having alot of fun while supporting local race tracks, local car clubs, and businesses to keep these cars going - that is what motorsport is about to me.
adhar
-stickered-

Car: VE SS-V

Postby TIB304 » Mon May 17, 2010 11:32 am

As far as I am aware Shannons is the only company that will insure you on the track but they only cover certain sanctioned events:

Taken from Shannons PDS

Racing cover.
If this endorsement is shown on your certificate or is otherwise approved by us in writing,
subject strictly to the terms of that endorsement or approval, we will pay for loss or damage to your motor vehicle if at the time of loss or damage you are driving or
using your motor vehicle whilst participating in, preparing for, practicing for or familiarisation for a Motor Sport event, but only if the event is either;

• an event sanctioned by a Motor Sport Governing Body, and your participation in that event requires a license of any kind issued by a Motor Sport Governing Body and
you are the holder of such a license, or

• an event which has been approved by us in writing or by way of endorsement to your policy

Also they only cover you up to $20.000

At the end of the day you would have to be doing something pretty dumb to hit someone on a track or be hit by someone. (as above: see track ettique)

Most track days are well organised, all the noobs usual get put in the same group and there are strict rules for overtaking ie. only on the main straights, the car in front must signal when the car behind is save to overtake etc.

I wouldn't worry about it, as long as you drive within your limits and follow the rules you won't have any problems.

At last track day Swingn orgainised at wakefield there were only about 7 cars in each group so you had plently of room. And you could only overtake on the 2 main straights (no overtaking in corners etc), no one had any problems with other cars.
TIB304

Postby Posseltperformance » Mon May 17, 2010 11:45 am

I completely agree that its grassroots motorsport and a whole bucket of fun + improves driver ability and transfers skills to the road etc (not dissing it at all). Merely questioning that it is supporting motorsport in the sense of rearing drivers - which I'm fairly sure is what Andy meant.

Its great for local business for tyres/mods etc.

(please don't read my post the wrong way :D )
2006 (pre-face lift) Atlantic Blue 3.0R Spec B + BajaDesigns Fuego driving lights
Posseltperformance

Postby Ric » Mon May 17, 2010 11:48 am

I could have done with that Shannons insurance yesterday. After 12 years of club sport without hitting anything, I stuffed both left hand mudguards on my MGA at Haunted Hills yesterday, by sliding off the track into an earth embankment. :(
However, as stated above, if I'd been paying their premium for this policy for 12 years, I'd have more than paid whatever the repair will come to...

Img_6574b.jpg
Img_6574b.jpg (92.89 KiB) Viewed 6942 times

Img_6577b.jpg
Img_6577b.jpg (134.19 KiB) Viewed 6942 times

Img_6580b.jpg
Img_6580b.jpg (82.82 KiB) Viewed 6942 times
Ric
Site Admin

Car: OLD: MY06 3RB Wagon NEW: MY21 Outbck
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=12

Postby Posseltperformance » Mon May 17, 2010 12:10 pm

Damn Ric - that sucks! oh well the price you pay to have fun eh?!
Posseltperformance

Next

Return to General Chat