Journal of a MY07 Liberty GTB

Nearly everything is in here to start with.
If it's about your car, or Subaru's in general, put it in "Subaru Chat".

Journal of a MY07 Liberty GTB

Postby buggermedumplings » Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:48 pm

Have changed the thread title and will update with thoughts/mods as I go...

Well have had the GTB wagon a little over a day and 300kms now and thought I’d post my thoughts on the car.

Positives:

Extremely quiet, even when giving it a squeeze. Considering the power I’m surprised.

Bilstein suspension is superb, seems to soak up everything yet when you do hit a good sized pot hole, does maintain composure and control. We’ll see how it goes when I change the springs.

Love the power of the 2.5T, effortless overtaking when sinking the boot. Again see how it goes after retune.

Fuel economy seems pretty good, sitting on 12.0/100kms

The boot, things like plenty of tether hooks, grocery hooks, compartment for oil or just stuff, even a hook to hold up the boot floor- Brilliant.

Paint on mine seems pretty good. Silver colour probably masks the forum-mentioned orange peel finish a little.

Massive sunroof, opens the cabin up which helps with the all-black interior.

Did I mention the power???

Negatives:

McIntosh stereo no where near as good as I was led to believe. I know it’s a factory system but Bose factory setups seem much better (RX8, Murano, CX7 etc) with in some cases half the speakers. Does not seem to image well and sounds muffled.

Although it looks great, would be interested how long the leather lasts. Seems a little ‘thin’ or lower quality.

Transmission selector display would have been good if it displayed the gear you were in when in auto mode. Just to know.

Too many buttons on steering wheel, no need for S#, trip meter buttons and maybe even the paddles. Makes the cabin look cluttered.

Seat belt indicators are ridiculous…

Why, why, why does the GTB miss out on electric passenger seat?

Blue light for engine temp really does not say what it is.

I can see the sun visors getting dirty… Should have been a solid plastic.

Anyway that’s just me ranting. Overall great car and very happy with the purchase.
Last edited by buggermedumplings on Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.
buggermedumplings

Postby watt4 » Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:56 pm

Re Little Blue Light - You cant engage S# mode until that light goes out - part of the engine management.
MY07 GT Spec B STI 133/300 Obsidian Black Pearl & Charcoal Rims
watt4

Postby libsti » Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:47 pm

a good review,

i agree with the selecter for the auto transmission.there are times when i feel the gears havent changed quick enough,over revs a little and it would be good if you could see when it actually did register the change.
libsti

Postby XRC15T » Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:13 pm

Whilst i was browsing for goodies, I came across Mines has mod to make the auto gear selector a bit better. Its only what i read...

Ask Phat to see if he can get the part.
[TEAM FUNERAL]
XRC15T

Postby libsti » Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:59 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Whilst i was browsing for goodies, I came across Mines has mod to make the auto gear selector a bit better. Its only what i read...

your next challange phat,what is it and can you get it?
libsti

Postby buggermedumplings » Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:35 pm

watt4 wrote:Re Little Blue Light - You cant engage S# mode until that light goes out - part of the engine management.

Yeah found it in the manual but indicator could be a S# with a cross over it or something...
buggermedumplings

Postby XRC15T » Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:19 pm

XRC15T wrote:Whilst i was browsing for goodies, I came across Mines has mod to make the auto gear selector a bit better. Its only what i read...

Ah my bad, read it wrong, I rechecked it, Its a reverse mode system, ie swapping up and down and down and up in sports shift mode.
[TEAM FUNERAL]
XRC15T

Postby buggermedumplings » Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:25 pm

Here's a couple of pics, bog standard...

A couple of exterior mods are on order from the Phat Man so hopefully be installed on the car in upcoming weeks.
buggermedumplings

Postby GTSPECB STI » Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:22 pm

Nice review and pics mate, congrats on the buy!

Why, why, why does the GTB miss out on electric passenger seat? My STI version gets the electric seat and 2 postion memory which is awesome. can't believe they do not come standard though.

Blue light for engine temp really does not say what it is. Blue light comes on when you start car and indicates you cant switch into S# mode until the car has warmed up properly. Once it has the light goes off.
PS who drives the RX8 and is it any good?
cheers Dave
MY10 Forester XTP
GTSPECB STI
-stickered-

Postby buggermedumplings » Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:31 pm

It's got an electric drivers seat with 2 position memory, but front passenger is manual, unlike the 3.0RB. Unsure why, dealer could not even tell me. Funny thing is the wiring harness for it is probably there.

RX8 is mine also. Drives brilliantly, last trip down the GOR and was pissing down was absolutely fantastic. In saying that, a few corners around home, the GTB stacks up pretty well. We'll see when I go down the GOR for a better comparison.
buggermedumplings

Postby buggermedumplings » Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:35 pm

Nearly 3 weeks and 2000kms in, a few more thoughts. You will notice that I tend to concentrate on the little things, only because I believe it's the little things that make the car.

Positives:
*Si Drive better than I thought, definately suited for an auto gearbox.
*Love the shove-in-the back feel of the turbo.
*Super impressed with the handling, wet or dry, it does not matter.
*Fuel ecconomy sitting on 12.4

Negatives
*Heating/cooling- When I select feet only, that's what I want, not feet and side vents that I need to manually close.
*McIntosh inc. audio controls- I've said enough in other threads.
*Space around pedals is a little cramped, find the top of my shoes hitting the lower part of the steering column/dash.
*Brakes are lacking a little, perhaps fluid/pad change could improve.
*Is it just me or do the cruise lights in the binnacle look totally out of place (Yes I know I sound like I'm disapearing up my own a***hole!)

Anyway awaiting parts from the Phat man and looking at springs/wheels at the moment. Pic's as soon as there fitted.

Cheers
Daniel
buggermedumplings

Postby buggermedumplings » Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:14 pm

Now 6 weeks old and more and more impressed with the car. Engine seems to be loosening up a bit (4500kms). Previously driving in I mode, now in S mode for last 3-4 tanks and fuel consumption averaging below 12's.

Positives
*Engine feeling stronger
*Love how the window lockout button actually turns out the indicators for those windows.
*Fuel consumption
*Maybe I'm getting used to it, but McIntosh sounds a little better. Perhaps speakers have run in a bit.

Negatives
*Carpet is cheap- Ordinary for a $50k+ car

Big thanks to the Phat Man who prganised the STI Lip, JDM Grill and HKS filter. Even called me to make sure I had no issues installing. Thanks again Mike. Photo below with the bits installed.

Cheers
Daniel
buggermedumplings

Re: Journal of a MY07 Liberty GTB

Postby thepunchman » Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:28 pm

buggermedumplings wrote:Have changed the thread title and will update with thoughts/mods as I go...

Well have had the GTB wagon a little over a day and 300kms now and thought I’d post my thoughts on the car.

Positives:

Extremely quiet, even when giving it a squeeze. Considering the power I’m surprised.

Bilstein suspension is superb, seems to soak up everything yet when you do hit a good sized pot hole, does maintain composure and control. We’ll see how it goes when I change the springs.

Love the power of the 2.5T, effortless overtaking when sinking the boot. Again see how it goes after retune.

Fuel economy seems pretty good, sitting on 12.0/100kms

The boot, things like plenty of tether hooks, grocery hooks, compartment for oil or just stuff, even a hook to hold up the boot floor- Brilliant.

Paint on mine seems pretty good. Silver colour probably masks the forum-mentioned orange peel finish a little.

Massive sunroof, opens the cabin up which helps with the all-black interior.

Did I mention the power???

Negatives:

McIntosh stereo no where near as good as I was led to believe. I know it’s a factory system but Bose factory setups seem much better (RX8, Murano, CX7 etc) with in some cases half the speakers. Does not seem to image well and sounds muffled.

Although it looks great, would be interested how long the leather lasts. Seems a little ‘thin’ or lower quality.

Transmission selector display would have been good if it displayed the gear you were in when in auto mode. Just to know.

Too many buttons on steering wheel, no need for S#, trip meter buttons and maybe even the paddles. Makes the cabin look cluttered.

Seat belt indicators are ridiculous…

Why, why, why does the GTB miss out on electric passenger seat?

Blue light for engine temp really does not say what it is.

I can see the sun visors getting dirty… Should have been a solid plastic.

Anyway that’s just me ranting. Overall great car and very happy with the purchase.
if you pull the gear stick into sportsmode, sideways only and not go up or down it then displays the gear you are in but still works as auto , having said that mine does not have the steeringwheel paddles so i dont know
MY10 GTB
thepunchman

Postby Rosso » Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:55 pm

Great work Daniel,

Very well done with the lip & grille, looks niiice 8)
Cheers,

Rosso.

#135/300 MY07 GT Spec B Tuned by Sti Sedan
Obsidian Black Pearl w/Charcoal Rims, 6MT.
Rosso

Postby MY07GT » Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:16 pm

Looks Great Daniel!

Really changes the look of the front dont it!

I get heaps of other lib looking at the front grille.

Phil.
[TEAM FUNERAL]
[MY07GT]
club.liberty.asn.au
MY07GT

Next

Return to General Chat