DIY: Gen IV Upgraded Walbro Fuel Pump Install

Show off what mods you've done to your car.

DIY: Gen IV Upgraded Walbro Fuel Pump Install

Postby adhar » Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:09 pm

Hi there Gents,

Ric, can you put this in Walkthroughs and References if you approve? Thanks.

Chadza put together a great walkthrough of installing a Walbro fuel pump in his B4 here: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5775

So i thought i'd put together a walkthrough of the install of the same pump in a Gen IV Liberty. My car is a pre-facelift GT, i only assume the in tank assembly is the same in other Gen IVs but i haven't installed one in any other Liberty so can't confirm if there are any differences.

I sourced a Walbro GSS342 255L p/hour in tank pump kit from Petroject in Victoria. It cost me $150 for the universal kit.
I didn't use all the parts as this kit as is designed for numerous model cars. All i used is the pump and 1x O clip

Time:
It took me nearly 2 hours, but i'm pretty good at this kinda thing so i would allow alot longer if you want to try this.

Tools:
A range of screwdrivers, they are always handy, if you have small ones that's even better!
8mm socket, ratchet and extension
Pliers

Step 1:
Remove seat (I won't show you that as it's super easy)

Step 2:
Fold back the white soft stuff to reveal opening, then using a philips head remove 4x screws holding the cover on

Step 3:
Unplug the electrical connecter that plugs into the top of the fuel pump (no pics, that's easy)

Step 4:
Unplug the 3 fuel lines (these are tricky and require some force. Use long nose pliers to depress the inner clips and then pull really hard. Give it a gentle twist if it doesn't want to budge. (watch out for a little bit of fuel in the lines - have old towels ready)
Then undo 8x nuts holding the assembly in
This pic shows the fuel lines unclipped

Step 5:
Remove the metal bracket and entire in tank assembly. (carefully so you don't bend the float)
Then tip out the fuel in the canister so you can work on it without covering yourself in petrol!

Step 6:
Unplug the wires

Step 7:
Separate the plastic canister to reveal the pump. There are 4 clips, 3 on one side and 1 on the back. Use flat head screwdrivers to do this and be patient as its pretty stuck in!

Step 8:
Remove the filter, it is held on with an O clip. Put the filter aside as we will re-use it. No need to keep the O clip as you get another one with the pump.

Step 9:
Disconnect the hoses on the bottom which are clipped in

Step 10:
Compress the springs together to reveal a clip on one end of the metal guides. Remove this clip

Step 11:
Now remove the entire top assembly. (The only reason do this is to get better access to unclip the pump itself - It's way easier this way, trust me!)
This photo shows the assembly removed and put to the side.

Step 12:
Remove the old pump. There are 2 clips holding it in. Use small flathead screwdrivers from the top to separate the clips and pull down.
Then install the new pump. There is a plastic sleeve on the OEM pump you don't need. Also make sure the rubber O ring is embedded properly.

Here is a comparison of the Walbro pump next to the OEM one

Step 13:
I re-used the OEM filter as the one that came with the kit was on a 45 degree angle and clearly wouldn't fit. I used a new O clip that came in the pump kit. I asked Subaru about replacement filters and they said i'd have to buy a whole new fuel pump as they don't normally replace the filter on Gen IVs as part of servicing like they did on Gen 3s.

Now the new pump is installed you can reverse this process to put it back together!!

Things to note:
-When clipping the plastic canister back on, there is another rubber O ring in the canister itself. I found it easier to remove the O ring and place it on the 'male' end before pushing back in. It does require some pressure to 'click' the whole plastic canister back together.

-The rubber ring that goes around the bracket under the back seat only has one way to go in so have a look at the 3x guides that help you.

And as Chadza said in his post, re-prime the system a few times by turning the key on and off before starting.
And don't worry about the noise the pump makes, that's normal!

I would recommend getting a professional to do this as it's quite a fiddly job, but if you have the confidence and some very basic tools, anyone can do it!

If anyone has any questions i'm happy to answer them.

Cheers

Andrew
adhar
-stickered-

Car: VE SS-V

Re: DIY: Gen IV Upgraded Walbro Fuel Pump Install

Postby chadza » Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:58 pm

Good write-up!

Thats interesting what you are saying with the fuel pickup sock. Does that mean that the filter in the picture there is the ONLY fuel filter on the Gen4? Or is there a remote fuel filter in the engine bay?

They certainly changed the whole in tank setup in the Gen4 compared to the Gen3.
MY02 Blue Pearl Liberty B4 - 185kw atw
Ecutek Stage 2, 3" exhaust, Hyperflow CAI, Walbro FP
chadza

Car: MY02 Liberty B4

Postby adhar » Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:04 pm

As far as i can see it is the ONLY filter and it doesn't get changed (but i believe 'Inspected' on the a service). I'd love someone to point out another filter to me IF there is one in the car somewhere. Out of interest a WRX's fuel filter is under the bonnet and it looks like an oil filter. It's so easy to change. Under the bonnet is a great location!

With the Gen IV, the filter 'sock' as you call it is touching the bottom of the plastic canister (which acts like a surge tank) and the bottom of the canister is touching the bottom of the fuel tank itself under the pressure of springs.
adhar
-stickered-

Car: VE SS-V

Postby 04GTLIB » Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:10 pm

Great install/walk through Andrew.
Thanks heaps for posting it up.

Cheers.
19" Koya wheels - STI front lip - STI Scuff Plates - STI Shift Knob - STI Pedal Set - Blitz A/C filter - Battery and ABS covers - Hyperflow TMIC - Auto Meter boost gauge and fabricated pod - EXOTIC EXHAUST ceramic coated dump pipe, hi flow cat, 3" centre pipe and fabricated rear mufflers - BC Racing Coil Overs - Phat lower control arm bushes - Whiteline rear camber bushes - Rallitek end links - Valenti LED tail lights - DBA Slotted rotors - QFM pads - Goodridge Brake Lines.
Coming soon - Spec B front - Kinugawa turbo upgrade
04GTLIB

Car: MY04 GT Liberty Wagon

Postby adz2.0r » Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:44 am

Very good DIY write up mate, Thanks.
adz2.0r

Car: my06 2.0r

Postby Greeneggs » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:57 pm

Hi all,

Digging up an old thread here. I've just done this install and fitted it all back into the tank but it won't fire. I can hear the pump priming but it won't fire. Any thoughts? Pulled off the lines going to top of assembly and there's fuel in the 2 lines next to each other but nothing in the lower line.
Greeneggs

Postby Surge » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:43 pm

Did you put the rubber o rings back in their stock locations ?

From memory they are slightly different sizes and it's not very noticible but can cause issues.
Surge

Car: 2010 lib GT 5eat

Postby Greeneggs » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:14 pm

Yeah left it all as it was pretty sure... I just followed the guide,all seemed to click into place quite easily.
Greeneggs

Postby MadmanSean » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:00 pm

Awesome Writeup! Saved me time as i have never gotten around to doing one myself :D

Additionally: Here is a video i made outlining the process https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysRtnRTmv-k&t=158s
Subaru ECU Unbricking, Unlocking and Bench Flashing/Recovery service! Check out SICK CHIPS @ https://www.facebook.com/SickChips/
http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=35489
If you'd like to say thank you feel free to Buy me a coffee https://www.buymeacoffee.com/sickchips
MadmanSean

Car: 2007 Libert GT SpecB wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=33793

Postby Wellsie » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:33 pm

Hey mate, great write up on the install. Im about to do this install myself (same pump), and just have a few questions.

1. On the inside of the filter where the pump outlet slides into, theres 2 plastic tabs that stick out. Do those tabs need to be trimmed or removed completely to allow the pump to fit?

2. On a stock pump, theres 2 retaining clips on the connector side that clip into the filter housing. The Walbro pump doesnt have one. What holds the pump into filter housing?

3. Does the stock fuel pump connector fit into the Walbro pump?

Thanks
Wellsie

Car: 07 Subaru Liberty GT Spec B

Return to Post your mods