MUFFLER FITTING INSTRUCTIONS

The new business name for PHAT GT
Forum rules
If you would like to make an order, have a question, or just need some advice, please contact Garage 88 by email shown below, rather than PM or asking in a topic.

sales@garage88.com.au

MUFFLER FITTING INSTRUCTIONS

Postby PHAT GT » Fri May 29, 2009 9:46 am

Hi Guys

due to me being unable to post in the non commercial vendor section you must read fitting instrutions here

PLEASE folllow below instructions as you all now there have been problems with fitting some other branded muffliers out there and my test muffliers melting the out side of the mufflier arch on the rear bar

*first remove factory muffliers (dur) keeping gaskets and bolts..... Ps: a bit of WD sprayed on the rubber mufflers hangers will help ALOT

*fit up new muffliers (BOTH) with the gaskets and bolts hand tight so the flangers are very close together *NO silicon reqired*

*NOW this is where it makes all the differance,[i]you must push up and out *45degs* and hold it there (with a bit of muscel) while tighting the bolts [/i]on the flanges on both sides

*you will notice the tips sit close to the inside of the mufflier arch this is not a problem as when they get hot the factory Y pipe will open out :? moving them to the center ((DRIVERS side first followed by the passanger) and once cooled they will move back .if you find its touching the inside loosen the bolts adjust (see above) and tighten again

*those of you runing a custom or branded cat back system wont have this problem due to the Y pipe not having this movment problem (unless you CUSTOM center and Y pipe where made off center)

*if you would like these muffliers to sit in the center a tad more (at your own risk) you can drill out the flange bolt holes on the muffler and the Y pipe to a larger size giving you more adjustment to where the tips sit

Regards
Michael
Last edited by PHAT GT on Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:56 am, edited 4 times in total.

WINNERS DONT DO DIFFERENT THINGS , THEY JUST DO THINGS DIFFERENT
PHAT GT

Postby Sentinel » Fri May 29, 2009 9:50 am

Hey Michael,

Thanks for posting this - should be a great help.

Dumb question, but worth asking. Will these instructions apply to us wagon folk?

Cheers
Memoirs of Sentinel:
GT-B | Black | Wagon | Manual | Brembo's | 19"x8 Blaque Diamond Wheels | Tein C/O's w EDFC | Custom Interior | PHAT Zorst | WL Sways | STi Stuff...
Sentinel
-stickered-

Postby PHAT GT » Fri May 29, 2009 9:58 am

Sentinel wrote:Hey Michael,

Thanks for posting this - should be a great help.

Dumb question, but worth asking. Will these instructions apply to us wagon folk?

Cheers

yes even you wagon folk

because the bolt holes on the muffler flange a larger than the bolt holes on the Y pipe flange giving some adjustment alignment problems if just waked on and tightened up

:D

PHAT GT

Postby Arith » Fri May 29, 2009 10:45 am

Thanks for that Mr Phat. I have posted the link to this in the Muffler Group Buy thread.

[ Former Liberty ... Slightly Modified -> Click
here for modifications & profile ]
Arith
-stickered-

Car: MY11 Volvo S60 T6

Postby loweart » Fri May 29, 2009 8:48 pm

Thanks for posting this advice on fitting the mufflers as well as all your hard work on getting the muffler and pipe work done for us Michael. It's really appreciated !

Big Thanks,
Lok
FAST cars and slow women

Silver MY03 Subaru Impreza RS
HKS Panel Filter | Clarion NX502a | Kenwood XR-4S multi channel D class amp | Morel & Eclipse speakers | Yokohama C Drive
loweart
-stickered-

Car: MY03 Impreza RS ( Team Silver )

Postby libsti » Fri May 29, 2009 9:27 pm

just to let you know i had the HiTechs on for about an hour and they melted the crap out of the plastic exhaust tip surrond,(what ever you call it) it only cost me $14.00 to replace the cover. oh and a set of phat mufflers
libsti

Postby smythie » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:44 am

3 litre owners don't need to worry about these burning the bumper :D
Flag Bitch

MY06 3.0RB
smythie

Car: MY06 3RB - Blue

Postby loweart » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:21 am

Thanks for that bit of advice Smythie, although I'm a little curious to know why that is the case for the 3.0 litre Libs ?
FAST cars and slow women

HKS Panel Filter | Clarion NX502a | Kenwood XR-4S multi channel D class amp | Morel & Eclipse speakers | Yokohama C Drive
loweart
-stickered-

Postby smythie » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:50 am

because mine sit tight on the inside (towards the centreline of the car) of the bumper openings. I don't know if the turbo cars put more heat through the cans though which is why I added the 3 litre specification. The positioning isn't a problem for me which is why I've never made an issue of it
Flag Bitch

MY06 3.0RB
smythie

Car: MY06 3RB - Blue

Postby loweart » Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:20 pm

I see, got it. Thanks Smythie
FAST cars and slow women

loweart
-stickered-

Re: MUFFLER FITTING INSTRUCTIONS

Postby Sentinel » Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:07 pm

Thanks for the instructions Michael!

Mine are in. Sounds nuts! I love it!

I think that my right one 'hangs' about 5-10mm lower than the left though - I'll check when it's daylight and outside (bit hard to tell exactly until I can see the car from a bit further back than 0.5m in the garage!)

Thanks once again mate. :wink:
Memoirs of Sentinel:
GT-B | Black | Wagon | Manual | Brembo's | 19"x8 Blaque Diamond Wheels | Tein C/O's w EDFC | Custom Interior | PHAT Zorst | WL Sways | STi Stuff...
Sentinel
-stickered-

Postby Sentinel » Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:09 pm

Hi Micheal,

Took a quick shot of the rear - not the best, but you can see the height difference by looking at the lower edge of the bumper. The right is about 5mm lower than the left, or is the left is 5mm higher? I met Alex (birch) today and he mentioned that the left may be too high as it actually 'just' touches the bumper when cold. The right is barely 0.5mm from touching. No touching when warm though. :good: Alex also mentioned that there's an order to the nuts up. Is this the fix to the level issues?

Hope you can help. Thanks.

Memoirs of Sentinel:
Sentinel
-stickered-

Postby PHAT GT » Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:47 am

Sentinel wrote:Hi Micheal,

Took a quick shot of the rear - not the best, but you can see the height difference by looking at the lower edge of the bumper. The right is about 5mm lower than the left, or is the left is 5mm higher? I met Alex (birch) today and he mentioned that the left may be too high as it actually 'just' touches the bumper when cold. The right is barely 0.5mm from touching. No touching when warm though. :good: Alex also mentioned that there's an order to the nuts up. Is this the fix to the level issues?

Hope you can help. Thanks.

Hi Sentinal

iv fitted quite a few of these to wagons to date as they all come from the same jig they would all be the same so its not that yours dont fit correctly

if you tighten one up before you install the other or have them to loose with both fitted they will never line up due to the cat back set up on a liberty only having one hanger. the mufflers are what keeps the whole system straight

FIX
loosen the two nut & bolts that hold the mufflers on both sides (just enough so your able to move them up & down *NOT TO LOOSE*) Please dont use silcon on the gaskets (NOT NEEDED)

than read my first post

PHAT GT

Postby Sentinel » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:41 am

Thanks Phat,

I followed your instructions the first time so I reckon I might have had the bolts too loose as you pointed out. I'll drop them off later today and do it again. Finger's crossed she'll be right! :good:

BTW - noob question: when the DP goes in, does that change any of the alignment at all? i.e. would I need to drop the muffs off and do this again?

Cheers

Memoirs of Sentinel:
Sentinel
-stickered-

Postby PHAT GT » Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:47 pm

Sentinel wrote:Thanks Phat,

I followed your instructions the first time so I reckon I might have had the bolts too loose as you pointed out. I'll drop them off later today and do it again. Finger's crossed she'll be right! :good:

BTW - noob question: when the DP goes in, does that change any of the alignment at all? i.e. would I need to drop the muffs off and do this again?

Cheers

you should'nt need to change anything when the dumps being installed

PHAT GT

Next

Return to Garage 88