Engine light on with flashing cruise control light

Posts specific to the 2.5 litre turbo engine

Engine light on with flashing cruise control light

Postby gtspec » Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:27 pm

Hey guys, ok here is the situation..

driving home today as normally do.. wasnt going hard or anything, just crusing on the freeway home then i tried to put the car in Sport# mode just to give it a bit of a hit then i heard it double beep, when i looked down i noticed the engine light was on with the cruise control light flashing and the (S) mode light flashing..
Car was driving per normal, but i couldnt change the SI drive or put the car in crusie mode.. At the time it happened i was NOT using cruise control.

Anyhow i just drove home normal.. tried turning the car off and on a couple of times but didnt go away. i took a short vid clip to show what its doing..

Anyone had this before? Any help would be appreciated..

I called subaru and they said it could be a sensor and want me to bring it on Wedneday morning.. Im worried they will complain about my mods :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcJjPO7SCR0
gtspec

Car: MY07 GT SpecB

Postby icefirehk » Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:25 pm

take to ur local subbie dealer, have him run diag on car.

have u recently installed anything to dash area? ipod/gps/screen?

most likely a loose connection somewhere or neutral switch issue.
My08 Tuned by STi 161/250 Obsidian Black Sedan Rego: GTSTI
icefirehk

Car: My08 Liberty Tuned by STi

Postby GTSPECB STI » Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:37 pm

I will bet you it has cleared by tomorrow morning and dont worry about what the stealership might say about your mods. Unless you have changed snails, whacked on a fmic, ect chances are they wont even notice. They dont even need to open the bonnet to do a diagnostic with your ecu.
MY10 Forester XTP
GTSPECB STI
-stickered-

Postby gtspec » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:41 pm

i hope its cleared by the morning, save me some $$$

the guy at the dealer said he will be doing the recall with the oil lines as well so they will be opening the bonnet and see the DP and can hear the exhaust upgrade.. praying they dont make that an excuse for the engine light..

thanks for ur replies.. i take it no one else has had this same thing happen to them?
gtspec

Postby gumbyy » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:04 pm

Happened to me, though I have a pre-facelifted GT so no (S) mode light flashing, just the cruise control and check engine light. Turned out to be the o2 sensor that needed replacing. The cruise control flashing is most likely just a formality, a safety measure, since there is something 'wrong' with the engine it would be unsafe to have the cruise control enabled..
Last edited by gumbyy on Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:swoon:
gumbyy

Car: MY04 GT Sedan (Team Black)

Postby gtspec » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:10 pm

gumbyy wrote:Happened to me, though I have a pre-facelifted GT so no (S) mode light flashing, just the cruise control and check engine light. Turned out to be the 02 sensor that needed replacing. The cruise control flashing is most likely just a formality, a safety measure, since there is something 'wrong' with the engine it would be unsafe to have the cruise control enabled..

thanks gumby, u think the 02 sensor will be covered under warranty.. and doesnt that sit in my new dump pipe??
gtspec

Postby gumbyy » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:28 pm

It may not even be the o2 sensor but yeh thats just what happened to my one.. i think it should be replaced under warranty. I believe our cars (mine at least) has a self diagnostic tool u can use to pull up the CEL code.. then google that code to find out exactly whats wrong. Use this link for instructions:

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/attachme ... 1127189539

Helped me find out my problem was an o2 sensor!

EDIT: The box should be located above or around your right knee when sitting in the drivers seat. The code should be displayed on your trip meter.
gumbyy

Postby gtspec » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:34 pm

ohh how good is that, wow didnt know that.. im going to go now n give it a try see how it goes..
thats all the dealership would hae done i guess..
gtspec

Postby gumbyy » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:41 pm

Go, go, go and come back and tell us what it says :lol:

OK im gonna make it easy for ya, check the code on here:
http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthre ... ight=P0134

Wow brings me back, i researched this shit for hours back when it happened to me hehe
gumbyy

Postby gtspec » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:16 pm

ohh crap.. i couldnt find it i looked long and hard..

i looked were u said in the right knee location in the drivers side?? and found the fuse box cover.. took that off and seen the same pics in the first legacygt link you sent.. http://www.legacygt.com/forums/attachme ... 1127189539

the fuse box looked the same except reverse with the fuses on the right n those 8 square boxes on the left..

i noticed those 2 regtangle connectors in the diagram but it didnt have a part were there was a connector i could join together.. :( maybe its different in the 07 and above models
gtspec

Postby gumbyy » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:29 pm

Damn, sorry I couldn't help! Try searching the legacygt forum or maybe even post a new thread stating that you have an 07 model.. I tried searching for you but can only find advice on 05 :?
gumbyy

Postby unfunkable » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:46 pm

hey that happened to me exactly the same last week
the flashing light, and not being able to use cruise control is to make sure you get it looked at.

it could be alot of things, you really need to see what code it is. my problem cleared it self, car was off at work for ~ 9 hrs and it cleared itself.
unfunkable

Postby Arith » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:14 pm

Adam, if it's not your O2 sensor playing up, just start the car, turn if off (like take the key out of the ignition), and then repeat about .... oh ... 5 to 7 times. This has happened to me twice already, and each time after a day or two of normal driving it went away. By the second I figured out that the warning goes away after so many startups. So I sat there for 5 minutes starting and turning it off again. After x number of starts it went away. Of course once it goes away Subaru will have a hard time diagnosing it if you have an appointment.

[ Former Liberty ... Slightly Modified -> Click
here for modifications & profile ]
Arith
-stickered-

Car: MY11 Volvo S60 T6

Postby CheesyMong » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:44 am

gtspec wrote:i hope its cleared by the morning, save me some $$$

the guy at the dealer said he will be doing the recall with the oil lines as well so they will be opening the bonnet and see the DP and can hear the exhaust upgrade.. praying they dont make that an excuse for the engine light..

thanks for ur replies.. i take it no one else has had this same thing happen to them?

search my friend :)

It has happened to a few of us running a DP, Centre and zorst...but most of us a running a tune as well. In my case it was more than likely a boost spike which cleared itself as Arith said after a few reboots.

Cheers

Joel
CheesyMong

Car: MY07 Liberty GT-B 6MT

Postby SillySora » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:45 am

I HAVE had the same prob. HOwever it was my turbo timer i think. So my turbo timer just sits on off now .
SillySora

Car: My 08 Liberty

Next

Return to 2.5T engine specific