[CLOSED] Phat Performance Products - Quad Tip Mufflers

The new business name for PHAT GT
Forum rules
If you would like to make an order, have a question, or just need some advice, please contact Garage 88 by email shown below, rather than PM or asking in a topic.

sales@garage88.com.au

[CLOSED] Phat Performance Products - Quad Tip Mufflers

Postby Arith » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:28 pm

P3 (Phat Performance Products) Quad Tip Mufflers

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Updates

As Of - Thursday May 29, 2009
News - Last week saw Phat go into a production frenzy, as he churned out x8 sets of mufflers. This week was focused on shipping them out! x3 sets went to QLD, x2 to ACT, and x1 to Mildura. Sorry, sedans only.

Phat is finishing up the jig for the wagons, and will start production on wagon mufflers Friday. I've given him a target of producing all x5 wagon sets by next Friday. Yes, it should be in time for birch_security's run to Melbourne either on the 15th or 24th of June. Anyone wishing to receive theirs earlier, it's $30 to Melbourne.

Those of you asking when this Group Buy will open again, well, I can't say at this point. I just want to finish up the orders we currently have so that people aren't waiting any longer. Then once Phat takes a break, we'll open it up again.

Muffler Fitting Instructions - http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?p=74675

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Summary
Ok, here it is. The quad tip mufflers from Phat Performance (like Norm, that's something I made up). Sorry it took so long to post up but I was busy today taking pictures and videos on the guinea pi ... err, volunteer testers.

A big big thanks to the Phat man for dedicating his own time to doing the research on selecting the best muffler available (out of 50 that he went through he decided on this one). And also putting in the labour work on swapping out the mufflers on numerous Libs more times than I can count. Also thanks to our volunteers: Norm (libsti), Tony (smythie), and Trieu (WhiteGTB).

The main reason why this muffler came into existance is to provide an alternative to the HiTech quad tips, which are extremely popular. However, in order to qualify them to be street legal, they are also quite restrictive and as of recently, has had QA issues with construction and fitment. So comparisons here on in will be between HiTech vs Phat Performance.

Construction
Upon inspection one can already see the quality difference between the two. Phat's is stainless steel throughout and is of high quality material. Yes, the size of the muffler body is bigger than the HiTechs, but it also means that more insulation can be packed in to provide better noise control. However do not take the pictures here as the representation on what the final product will look like. This is just the prototype so everything was quickly thrown together in order to produce this post.

Sound
As for the sound, which is why most people buy the HiTechs, they are relatively similar. On a 2.0t engine, Phat's sound deeper, more solid, with less 'rhaspy' noise to them. On the 3.0 NA engine, it sounds like a V8! A very nice deep growl to it. And on the 2.5t, the WRX burble is up front and well pronounced. There is no interior cabin drone and while the exhaust noise is noticeable, it's not intrusive or obnoxious just like the HiTechs. Phat's muffler actually recorded 2 decibels lower than the HiTechs in a non-formal test environment using sound measuring equipment. On a completely stock turbo car, 81 decibels was recorded, meaning it is street legal.

Performance
In terms of performance gains, one probably won't see too much difference between Phat's and HiTechs for the stock NA engines. However for modified NA's and turbos, less restriction equates to more power. And the HiTechs are quite restrictive if you compared pipe size in inlet, outlet, and internally. You'll see a sizeable difference in the pictures below as well for the inlet. But Phat's one has a very unrestrictive flow design that does not get smaller even in the muffler body. But the straight through design is excellent at providing the least restriction possible while still controling noise levels.

Pricing
At the moment pricing is looking at the $800 mark. It could have been cheaper by going with a lesser muffler body, but this is a brand new muffler and design that just came on market and has quality constrcution throughout as well as a improved design.

Specs
- All stainless steel construction
- 2.5" inlet
- Dual 2.5" outlets
- Straight-through perforated internal design
- Capable of channeling up to 500kw
- Reading of 81 decibels on a stock car making it street legal

Pictures
Production release is finally at hand. Here are some new pictures of it:
http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?p=60614#60614

Pretty good for a 1st attempt. The reinforcement bracket between the tips will not be there in the final version, the slash cut tips will be at a lesser angle, and the tips will sit closer together.

A look into the muffler from the inlet pipe. Things to note are the straight through design because you can see through the other side. The even Y-split on both sides without the reduction of pipe diameter. The divider in the middle is rounded for un-interrupted air flow. The prototype has a mild steel backplate where the inlet pipe is. The production version will be full stainless steel like the one seen here.

The HiTechs (top) and Phat Performance (bottom) side by side. Phat's are bigger but are at the same noise level while providing better flow and performance. Again, final version will have tips sitting closer together like the HiTechs.

A front view comparison. Phat's is fat (left).

From the back. Notice the inlet for Phat's (right) is centred to provide a true Y-split. The HiTech's inlet sides to one side and diverts flow to the other side.

Comparison of inlet sizes. Notice how restrictive the HiTechs (bottom) are.

Phat's (bottom) compard to the STi/stock muffler.

Same comparison at a front view (Phat's on the right).

How they sit on Norm's (libsti) MY06 STi sedan.

A close-up view of Phat's mufflers on Norm's car. The fitting was done off of a MY07 so it doesn't sit as snug. However that will be corrected in the final version.

Production version

Videos

Member - libsti
Liberty - MY06 STi sedan (2.0t)
Mods - Dump pipe, centre/Y-pipe, intake, top mount
Clips -
1. Revving in idle [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xxf6mhG-oGo]
2. More revving in idle [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCU76I7PUYY]
3. Revving in idle with HiTEchs (ignore the missing exhaust shroud) [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAObBspljlQ]

Member - smythie
Liberty - MY06 3.0RB sedan (3.0 NA)
Mods - Stock baby!
Clips -
1. Revving in idle [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KVqQyMKW04]
2. Launch [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqQNfuQ8gKE]
3. Drive By [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dT2yWljunlQ]

Member - WhiteGTB
Liberty - MY07 GT-B sedan (2.5t)
Mods - Intake
Clips -
1. Revving in idle (too much background yapping) [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5Sx44MOypI]
2. 1st Drive By [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xB4pJN-GC3Y]
3. 2nd Drive By [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqG0S9ouh8U]

Member - Blacknwhite
Mods - Phat dump pipe, custom 3" centre pipe, HKS Panel Filter
Clips -
1. Revving in idle [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwRZQl4jGKg]

Member - Moggy
Mods - None
Clips -
1. Revving in idle [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sf_gzIH8YLE]

Member - Arith
Mods - K2 Gear centre pipe, Blitz intake, Phat dump pipe
Clips -
1. Revving in idle [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMIma-pXuQE]
Last edited by Arith on Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:00 am, edited 76 times in total.

[ Former Liberty ... Slightly Modified -> Click
here for modifications & profile ]
Arith
-stickered-

Car: MY11 Volvo S60 T6

Postby MY07GT » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:29 am

Nice write up Jim.

They sound more meaner than the hi techs.

Phil.
[TEAM FUNERAL]
[MY07GT]
club.liberty.asn.au
MY07GT

Postby Arith » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:35 am

Opps! I forgot to give a big thanks to Phil for donating his car for half a day so that the prototype could be developed. :blush2: Sorry, Phil. I wasn't sure if you wanted to be identified as someone who was involved in this or if you wanted to remain anonymous. :P

Arith
-stickered-

Postby loweart » Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:04 am

Thanks Jim for putting in all this work to get this organised along with posting photos and sound clips. Please also pass on my thanks to PHAT for doing the "hard yards" as going through so many mufflers to choose just one in the end based on performance/sound/quality/fit is very labour intensive. Also, thanks to the guys who were able to loan their vehicles so this comparison was possible.

Now, you've estimated the pricing to be about the $800 mark, just wondering about delivery/freight costs as I can imagine there WILL be interested parties from most states ?

This may be a silly question, but I assume that PHAT can provide this setup without the exhaust tips for those who may want to fit their own style of tips ?

Thanks once again to all those involved !

Cheers,
Lok
Last edited by loweart on Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
FAST cars and slow women

Silver MY03 Subaru Impreza RS
HKS Panel Filter | Clarion NX502a | Kenwood XR-4S multi channel D class amp | Morel & Eclipse speakers | Yokohama C Drive
loweart
-stickered-

Car: MY03 Impreza RS ( Team Silver )

Postby libsti » Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:13 am

hey guys,just to make it all official please put me down for the phat mufflers,
gotta go now and jump on a plane.

norm
libsti

Postby ez30rb » Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:23 am

First up,Arith and to all involved:THANKS for your commitment to help out fellow club members. 8)

The Phat performance muffler sounds great, especially on the H6. My only concern is the size of that muffler, do you have any more pics from the back so I can see how much it hangs below and how they look compared to the size of the car?

thanks again
Juz
ez30rb

Car: 3.0RB
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=21069

Postby gumbyy » Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:35 am

Geez looks like work blocked youtube :cry:
Can't wait to go home and check these out.. Thanks for all involved, you have all done a great (Liberty) community service :wink:
:swoon:
gumbyy

Car: MY04 GT Sedan (Team Black)

Postby drndrn » Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:17 am

2.5i? :D
Diamond Grey 2.5i Heritage
drndrn
-stickered-

Car: MY08 Subaru Liberty

Postby SkoobyGT » Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:51 am

They sound awesome, a lot deeper and less raspier than the HiTechs from the videos at least.

As I have said before, anything to do with Phat, his work is of top quality, doesn't cut corners like the bigger companies to make more bucks, knows his stuff so well, and DOESNT RIP you off.

AND about $500 cheaper than the HiTechs.

Need any more be said. 8)
************FOR SALE - $20,999 - ************2004 GT Liberty
SkoobyGT

Postby gumbyy » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:01 am

SkoobyGT wrote:AND about $500 cheaper than the HiTechs.

Actually its $100 cheaper with the Hitech GB, but you're probably referring to RRP :D
:swoon:
gumbyy

Car: MY04 GT Sedan (Team Black)

Postby senator » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:18 am

arith...sign me up for a set of these..... :lol:
Not a soobi anymore, but still slightly dirty
"TEAM TONY"
senator

Postby WhiteGTB » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:31 am

All you guys that have the 2.5T eninges, this will set it right off.

The sound is deep and solid and MOST IMPORTANTLY NO DRONE. Driving normally and carrying a conversation in the cabin was no issue whatsoever.

I know alot of ppl were considering the Hi Tech's and it ain't a bad product, however now that we have something substantial to compare it with that is Oz made and put together with Liberty knowledge... I know which I'd prefer.

I think also these are pretty sharp on the pricing too.
WhiteGTB

Car: MY07 Legacy GT Spec B 6pd

Postby swingn » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:41 am

Phat's mufflers have my vote! :D
swingn
-stickered-

Car: MX5 SE / 911 Turbo
Profile URL: www.rtdc.com.au

Postby smythie » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:42 am

I've now removed my write up from the HiTech thread

You 3 litre boys will be in heaven with Phat's setup. Man did it sound good. My fuel economy would be shot if I got a set.

Very deep down low with the throttle open any further than cruising. Lovely, lovely. Eggs you on a bit. OK, Ok, a LOT. Had me misbehaving most of the 5 or 10 minutes I had them on the car

Once you get it spinning above about 5500rpm with WOT (at least with the resonator removed) the exhaust note smooths out and the induction roar takes over.

If you have gotten accustomed to the smooth quiet cabin of the 3 litre (as I have) it may be a little loud for you (it's a good deal louder inside than outside btw - from outside it's hardly louder than stock)

For those who are looking for a top exhaust tune when cruising around town without a drone cruising down the highway (at least with the 6 speed) and aren't as precious as I am regarding a quiet cabin, this is an ace option.

Better than the Hi-Techs soundwise? Yeah I think so

Further to senator's comments, I reckon these mufflers would not produce a single bit of back pressure. Phat reckons they were designed to operate as a single muffler (rather than as a pair as we have) and easily cope with the 6.0/6.2 Chev V8's in the commodores.

A 2.5" inlet to the muffler followed by a smooth Y into 2.5" duals through the length of the muffler. It is a very nice piece of muffler design IMO

Man, I shouldn't have done that yesterday.

Sign me up for a set too :D :oops: :?
Flag Bitch

MY06 3.0RB
smythie

Car: MY06 3RB - Blue

Postby Arith » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:45 am

smythie wrote:Sign me up for a set too :D :oops: :?

WTF????!!!!! OMG!!!!! No way!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But wow, good on ya, Tony! :good:

Arith
-stickered-

Next

Return to Garage 88