'08 BL9 2.5i. '91 BC6 awd and turbo conversion.

Show off what mods you've done to your car.

Re: '08 BL9 2.5i.

Postby bigBADbenny » Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:37 pm

Great progress!
How did you diagnose the headers leaks?
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby rexhunta » Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:44 pm

bigBADbenny wrote:Great progress!
How did you diagnose the headers leaks?

Spray bottle and detergent worked best for me. Couldn't do it when the headers were super hot though.

Hopefully get into Jaycar this week and grab enough parts to get the reverse camera all going.

http://www.uklegacy.com/forums/index.ph ... t-nav-dvd/
rexhunta

Car: 2008 Gen 4 BL9, 1991 Gen 1 BC

Postby rexhunta » Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:22 pm

So now I've been watching logs etc, I have noticed my intake temps were quite high due to the pod sitting right behind the radiator and above the headers, I had a spare night so modified the hot pipe side of the intercooler piping to push it back more against the abs module and sit lower into the gaurd, then remade the afm intake pipe and got it right in the unused guard void that collects a lot of cold air. This has significantly reduced the temps as thought, on an 18 degree day I was seeing temps of 20 degrees at the AFM which is pretty much halved.

For a few bends and couple of hours work it definitely has paid off.

I gave it decent run this weekend, and have got a few maintenance things pop up, so during the long weekend coming up i'm hoping to get a day in the shed and fix the last few bits, I did a plug change friday night and the cover gaskets are all now leaking, which I have ordered, but just can't see them turning up in time, it'll be another weekends problem, cause I can see all the intercooler piping and having to lift the engine up to get them changed out.

Pete.
rexhunta

Postby Yowie » Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:09 pm

Good work on the filter relocation and the data before and after.

Should run a lot safer & with more power with cooler intake air.
Yowie

Car: SH Forester XT

Postby rexhunta » Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:24 pm

Yowie wrote:Good work on the filter relocation and the data before and after.

Should run a lot safer & with more power with cooler intake air.

Hopefully get to play around with the temps in summer, December is our hottest here, then the rest are all mid to late 30s until march.

Today I got the rocker gaskets done. Drivers side ~20 mins. Passenger side. Over an hour :roll: Was one problem another, just as I got the gasket on one of the plug tube gaskets would fall off, just as i get that sorted the gasket would slide out of the cover, sort that the other tube gasket popped out. Do this about 12 times and you get slightly frustrated. Ended up lubing the lot with grease and it all held still the last time. Had the engine sitting up in the bay with the engine crane so that helped a lot, and let me do a few other things I had been ignoring.

Fixed the oil return to the sump, hopefully no more leak there. Hose clamp wasn't tight enough, next off change coolant then I'm done for a while.
rexhunta

Postby bigBADbenny » Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:24 pm

Thanks for the rocker cover & tube seals tips.
Having stuffed up my 2.5t passenger side/do it twice, never again, every tip is a good one.

I’ll buy 2kits for the 2.5i :P

Eg double check with inspection torch & mirror in the crossmember area, if not completely lifting the engine. :swoon:
bigBADbenny

Postby rexhunta » Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:45 pm

Well, this is it.

The Gen 4 will be reverted back to stock. It'll either be given to the wife for work duties or sold off.

Today I purchased the model of car I have been chasing for over a year, everytime they had popped up they either sold quick or they just never came up in around 200kms of Where I live. Today my wife found this when we were in Perth visiting, jumped on it asap, cash exchanged and drove it the 180km home with no issues, cruise control set, spotify cranked and eased at 110 no hassles.

I now have my childhood hero car, a Gen 1 Liberty.

It may not look like much, but once I finish a few more jobs around the house, the windows will be stripped, interior stripped, engine bay stripped, and started. It was a single person owner, the lady showed me the receipts from when she purchased it, and all service history from 2006 onwards.

Probably early next year, as work is about to kick ass with the amount of construction we have going on in WA.

This can sit for as long as it wants, I finally have one.

It's a '91 GX, all electrics work, plush interior, cruise control, a/c. It is fwd, but that's a future problem, we have plenty of scrapyards here, I'll be able to piece enough gear to make something around here.

Pete.
rexhunta

Postby bigBADbenny » Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:16 am

Sensational news, congrats with the purchase!
Lmk if the wbo2 setup becomes available fs :good:
bigBADbenny

Postby rexhunta » Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:11 am

bigBADbenny wrote:Sensational news, congrats with the purchase!
Lmk if the wbo2 setup becomes available fs :good:

Thanks.

Will be using it in this once I sort out the spare motor on the stand and other stuff. I've tracked down a few rear subframes and most parts I need from the wreckers, problem is time poor atm since suns cranking we're working big days again so cant get in to grab them.

I probably will be selling my Tactrix dongle though, going to see if any of the local ford guys down here want to use it first.
rexhunta

Postby bigBADbenny » Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:23 am

Cheers!
What’s the plan for the gen1?
Have you seen Nico Turbine’s cars?
He basically goes full spec c on older subies, lego gone mad :P
bigBADbenny

Postby rexhunta » Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:39 pm

Gen 1 will be a full RS copy. I was lucky enough to have the GSR Galants and RS Libertys as the hero jap cars back in my early teens, and love them now still. I've done my AWD 4G63T thing in the shape of an RVR, which was an ultimate sleeper for what they are, Evo 3 4G mated to the evo driveline, just in a minivan, now it's time for me to do the Liberty side.

See what the inside of this ej205 I have is like, if it's fingered I'll source another. I've sourced and picked up a couple of panel inserts that have some little rust in, i'll cut them and weld them in over the holidays, start stripping it and putting all the trims and stuff up on one of my mezanine floors, and just attack body work bit by bit.

Hopefully this weekend i'll grab down all the stock stuff to the Gen 4 and start.

Pete.
rexhunta

Postby bigBADbenny » Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:09 am

Its certainly one way past covid tax, and another way to get a completely sorted car!
Given adequate facilities and skills, its a winning approach :good:
bigBADbenny

Postby rexhunta » Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:56 pm

Well, slow boring Liberty is yes, boring.

No more choo choo noises :( But, worth it in the long run. Everything is swapped out and completely stock again. I've left the Kobe pump in the tank, I think the factory pump was pretty cooked anyway so doesn't bother me. Am I surprised out of every piece, the only thing I needed to track down was the sump, as I tapped mine for the oil return, the only stock piece that wasn't reusable.

And, here's the turbo kit mocked up. It's not pretty, it's not blingy, it's functional and works. Held 5 psi completely fine, and had no leaks. Once I got everything off I managed to find the exhaust leak with it all on the ground. :lol:

I'll be able to reuse 90 % of this in the Gen 1, but will ever so hopefully have a tig by then. Cooler and turbo are absolutely fine, and the headers will be useable, up pipe won't be, but have another uppipe already waiting.

Time to give it a massive detail, swap plates and get the missus to put it out for sale.

Pete.
rexhunta

Postby bigBADbenny » Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:29 pm

Niiice! Where was the exhaust leak?
bigBADbenny

Postby rexhunta » Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:16 pm

bigBADbenny wrote:Niiice! Where was the exhaust leak?

The Dump pipe had a bolt unthread which I never saw, it's the bolt on right on the bottom where you can only see it underneath, on idle could not notice, was only when it had a massive amount of pressure through it It must of leaked.
rexhunta

PreviousNext

Return to Post your mods