Fast ticking noise when car is rolling (03 liberty 5sp)

Posts specific to the 2.5 litre NA engine

Fast ticking noise when car is rolling (03 liberty 5sp)

Postby StormB » Sun May 02, 2021 12:20 am

Hi all,

I recently purchased a cheap "03" liberty which needs a little attention. To give you some background, I just fixed a misfire issue which was just some bad plugs. Done an oil change, oil filter and cleaned the air filter. I'm getting some oil in the spark plug wells so I'm planning on replacing the valve cover gaskets and tube seals shortly.

Now to the issue: I'm hearing a noise when the car is rolling. It's hard to explain the noise, but it sounds like a constant and very fast ticking sound. Kinda reminds me of the sound a Cicada makes but not as loud or high pitched. It's not exactly low pitched either, it's kinda mid pitched if that makes sense :lol: I can also hear the sound slightly over the sound of the engine when driving and it seems to be louder when moving faster. I've tried listening for the noise when revving the engine while stationary but can't hear anything of that nature.

Not sure if it's coming from somewhere in the engine bay or the wheels but I've tried looking up what it could be and can't seem to find any info. It doesn't seem to be the sound of a bad wheel bearing. Anyone have some ideas what this could be?
StormB

Car: 2003 Subaru liberty 2.5i Manual

Re: Fast ticking noise when car is rolling (03 liberty 5sp)

Postby RX25SE » Sun May 02, 2021 8:00 am

Does the noise change with road speed or engine speed?
RX25SE

Car: MY07 30RB 6sp Wag

Postby StormB » Sun May 02, 2021 4:14 pm

RX25SE wrote:Does the noise change with road speed or engine speed?

It's hard to tell because when I speed up, naturally the wheels move faster also but I think it's engine speed. Only seems to be when moving though as I can't hear it when revving the engine while stationary.
StormB

Postby Tonic » Mon May 03, 2021 7:06 am

I guess you have checked the tyres for stones or nails?
Also I guess you have checked the cv joints?
Air conditioner on at the time?
Maybe the vicious coupling ... but you usually feel that through the wheel on a tight slow turn....

I know nothing...
Tonic

Car: 06 Liberty 3.0RB now 09 facelift

Postby StormB » Mon May 03, 2021 11:41 am

Ok I have an update. This morning when I left home, the noise was worse than ever so I was able to hear it clearly. It's more of a rapid tapping sound. It stopped or greatly subdued when the engine warmed up so I looked that up and seen that it could be the lifters. I checked the oil and the weird thing is that the oil level is well above the full line. When I did an oil change about a week ago, I filled the oil to exactly the full line and checked it when hot and cold so why is it now over full? Could this be the reason for the lifter noise? I don't have a lot of knowledge with cars but I know high oil levels can cause some issues so would lifters be one of those issues?
StormB

Return to 2.5i engine specific