Weird Electrical Startup Issue

Posts specific to the 2.5 litre NA engine

Weird Electrical Startup Issue

Postby MDNT_Mossy » Fri Jan 01, 2021 4:30 pm

So i've been having this problem with my 2004 4GEN manual sedan where it struggles to start, it's been happening for a few weeks now and i recently bought a new battery for it. When i started it up for the first time with the new battery in it fired up instantly, faster than it ever has, but later on that day it would take longer and longer to start to the point where i'm cranking it for a few seconds before it fires up. It's a weird issue because i tested the alternator and it said it was fine and i dont think its the starter because when i had to jump start it when it wouldn't start it started straight away but i could be wrong on that point. The only things I can think of would be a bad fuse but if a fuse is blown would it even start at all? It could be that the battery terminals are slightly corroded but they looked fine when i changed the battery. Any help is greatly appreciated as my lack of electrical skills has brought me to a dead end.
MDNT_Mossy

Car: 2004 Subaru Liberty 2.5l Sedan

Re: Weird Electrical Startup Issue

Postby BillyCorgi » Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:00 pm

MDNT_Mossy wrote: with the new battery in it fired up instantly, faster than it ever has, but later on that day it would take longer and longer to start to the point where i'm cranking it for a few seconds before it fires up.

Fuel pressure?
Get your Short Shift Adaptor viewtopic.php?f=68&t=30525
Get your Gear Shift Rejuvenation Kit viewtopic.php?f=68&t=31240
Get your Centre Differential Rebuild viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31089
Want a custom built Brake Cylinder Stopper? viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31321
Need to hire a Guard Rolling Machine? viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31899
Get your BillyCorgi's "Not-4-Wimps" Chilli Sauce
BillyCorgi

Car: Liberty 3.0R-B Wagon E85 Flex Fuel
Profile URL: www.facebook.com/CorgiWerx

Postby bigBADbenny » Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:42 pm

Its worth checking the fuel pump & sender loom plug, for burnt pins, its on the top of the filter/bucket assy, under the inspection cover, under the rear rhs passenger seat.

Otherwise, the FSM workshop manual has crank no start diagnostics.
Link in my signature below, download your 2004-6 adm/general market FSM and search “no start” in H4DO sections, using a PC.
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby MDNT_Mossy » Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:39 pm

bigBADbenny wrote:Its worth checking the fuel pump & sender loom plug, for burnt pins, its on the top of the filter/bucket assy, under the inspection cover, under the rear rhs passenger seat.

if it's not that would you recommend just doing a fuel pump and filter change?
MDNT_Mossy

Postby MDNT_Mossy » Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:45 pm

BillyCorgi wrote:Fuel pressure?

i had a strange feeling it could be to do with fuel because the problem started after i filled up at a different servo. Thought it might've been that some dirt was blocking something but whenever i got it running it would feel completely fine, and not sluggish as if it was not receiving all the fuel it needed.
MDNT_Mossy

Return to 2.5i engine specific