Member Profile - Marcus' GT Spec B 6MT Wagon

Show off what mods you've done to your car.

Dual Baffled catch cans - Bracket and Mounting

Postby marcus.bspec » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:48 am

I managed to finally get around to a new dual catch can setup.

I purchased two Mishimoto Baffled and Filtered catch cans, one to run in-line with the breathers and the other for the PCV system.

I used an old FMIC bracket I had lying around to mount the cans behind the motor as there was really no other place the supplied mounts would work with. In a
way this was an advantage as it would eventually make routing the hoses much easier and cleaner.

bracket.JPG
bracket.JPG (37.11 KiB) Viewed 3628 times
cans mounted.JPG
cans mounted.JPG (48.19 KiB) Viewed 3628 times
cans mounted2.JPG
cans mounted2.JPG (56.06 KiB) Viewed 3628 times
cans mounted3.JPG
cans mounted3.JPG (47.97 KiB) Viewed 3628 times

The GCG Turbo should be back with me today, and so I'll make the trip to Supercheap or Autobarn to grab some breather hoses, clamps and coolant to get this all buttoned up :)
2007 Subaru Liberty GT Spec B | 6MT Wagon | instagram.com/marcus.bspec

2019.06.20 - 146 kw @wheels

2021.02.26 - 228 kw @wheels
marcus.bspec

Car: Subaru Liberty GT Spec B Wagon 6MT

Re: Member Profile - Marcus' GT Spec B 6MT Wagon

Postby bigBADbenny » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:10 am

Good luck!

Get in touch if you want to try my improved dual can routing idea.

The catch can intercepts are pre pcv and sump breather hose.
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby marcus.bspec » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:29 am

bigBADbenny wrote:Good luck!

Get in touch if you want to try my improved dual can routing idea.

The catch can intercepts are pre PCV and sump breather hose.

Will do! Hopefully there aren't any dramas with the turbo, car see's the dyno on Thursday next week!

I've been trying to get onto Matt to see when he's free to give me a hand flashing the ECU with the stock tune.

I'll see how the catch can setup goes and let you know. Would be cool to do a bit of a comparison :)

marcus.bspec

Postby bigBADbenny » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:11 pm

If what I know is correct, its simply a matter of reflashing your stock rom over Matt’s tune...
bigBADbenny

Postby marcus.bspec » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:15 pm

bigBADbenny wrote:If what I know is correct, its simply a matter of reflashing your stock rom over Matt’s tune...

I've been told 1000 different things, even from Matt in the past, he's agreed to give me a hand before Thursday via teamviewer.

marcus.bspec

Postby Yowie » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:41 pm

Nice catch can mounting solution. I'm a bit fan of using short simple hose routing where possible. That location will allow that.

The Mishi catch cans are a quality item, albeit with some improvements that can easily be made to the internal baffling/filtering.

Mishimoto also separately sell longer lower sections of the can if you have the available vertical space and/or you need more internal volume. Eg on E85 in winter my rocker covers catch can fills up with (mainly) water condensation at a great rate so a larger volume catch can is essential.

Will you be running a drain line from each of them or is "unscrew to empty" the plan? I recommend the drain line for convenience and low-mess.
Yowie

Car: SH Forester XT

Postby marcus.bspec » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:34 am

Nice catch can mounting solution. I'm a bit fan of using short simple hose routing where possible. That location will allow that.

The Mishi catch cans are a quality item, albeit with some improvements that can easily be made to the internal baffling/filtering.

Mishimoto also separately sell longer lower sections of the can if you have the available vertical space and/or you need more internal volume. Eg on E85 in winter my rocker covers catch can fills up with (mainly) water condensation at a great rate so a larger volume catch can is essential.

Thanks mate! Yes, half the reason I went with the Mishi cans was for this reason, I'll see how I go and make the call once I've had the chance to see how much they fill and at what rate they're filling up at.

Will you be running a drain line from each of them or is "unscrew to empty" the plan? I recommend the drain line for convenience and low-mess.

As for the drain, I'll simply unscrew and empty when needed, just for observations' sake, unless of course they're filling quite rapidly during spirited driving or during the colder months I might consider using the thread underneath currently blocked
by a blanking plug and replace it with an easy-drain plug attachment of some kind :)
Last edited by marcus.bspec on Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

marcus.bspec

Postby Yowie » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:43 am

Easiest for draining would be a NPT-to-barb fitting on the bottom of each can, a length of rubber hose, then an ebay stopcock/ball valve with barbed ends. Available space will dictate whether that can be a short hose for draining while standing over the engine bay, or a long hose running down to level with the bottom of the gearbox. Go short if you can.

I don't recommend merging the two drain hoses to one stopcock in case the different vacuum/pressure in each can does weird things.
Last edited by Yowie on Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yowie

Postby marcus.bspec » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:47 am

Yowie wrote:Easiest for draining would be a NPT-to-barb fitting on the bottom of each can, a length of rubber hose, then an ebay stopcock/ball valve with barbed ends. Available space will dictate wither that can be a short hose for draining while standing over the engine bay, or a long hose running down to level with the bottom of the gearbox. Go short if you can.

I don't recommend merging the two drain hoses to one stopcock in case the different vacuum/pressure in each can does weird things.

Great idea, I'll definitely have a fiddle. I'm definitely happy that they're positioned where they are, heaps of space to fiddle with can sizing and draining.

Both cans are plumbed back into the inlet, but nonetheless if I do end up setting up drain hoses, they'll be seperate for sure :)

marcus.bspec

Postby Yowie » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:25 am

Both cans are plumbed back into the inlet,

I assume:

(a) the crank gas goes through one can into the PVC valve on the manifold; and;

(b) the rocker cover gas goes through the other can into the pre-turbo pipe.

If not, I'm intrigued.
Yowie

Postby bigBADbenny » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:19 pm

Personally, imho, on cars with dual head ports, tapping the CCV for AOS/CC is redundant.

Subaru went to huge lengths with these engines to improve the woeful oil control issues experienced in a track situation, extended high G’s leading to oil surge in the sump filling the outside corner head.

Everyone apart from Flatirons has missed the intent of the schema:

The CCV blows into the heads, via the so called balance pipes, to assist oil return to sump.

This effectively makes the CCV & heads part of the stock AOS setup, the heads forward PCV return ports being baffled.

The sump is scavenged from the breather port straight into the PCV/inlet (iirc).

So ideally the head return breathers and the sump emissions hoses will be the aftermarket AOS/CC inlets.

Subaru didn’t put a big AOS on the rear of the block for nuthin!

Anyway you heard it here first :P
bigBADbenny

Postby Yowie » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:41 pm

The sump is scavenged from the breather port straight into the PCV/inlet (iirc).

The sump gasses leave the sump breather port (just in front of the gearbox) and go into an F-shaped splitter (with internal restrictions). See image below.

Under manifold vacuum the dirty air goes to the PCV valve on the inlet manifold.

Under manifold boost the PCV valve closes and the dirty air is drawn into the pre-turbo pipe.

Either way, the crank gas is filthy with water vapour and oil that I would rather catch (most of) before it goes into the manifold or the pre-turbo pipe. That's why I put a catch can after the sump breather port and before the splitter.

[Some people only care about gunk in the intercooler, so they insert the catch can on the pre-turbo pipe side of the splitter and let whatever rubbish directly into the manifold.]

I can't claim to fully follow your explanation above (diagrams & exploded images usually help my understanding of all this hose routing) but I see plenty of value in adding a catch can after the crank vent just based on the rubbish I collect from that spot.
Yowie

Postby bigBADbenny » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:23 pm

Love it.
Best start my own thread rather than clog this one! :P

Over here indeed:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=36572&p=449434#p449431

:P
bigBADbenny

Postby marcus.bspec » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:14 am

Yowie wrote:
Both cans are plumbed back into the inlet,

I assume:

(a) the crank gas goes through one can into the PVC valve on the manifold; and;

(b) the rocker cover gas goes through the other can into the pre-turbo pipe.

If not, I'm intrigued.

Great job on the other thread guys, seems to be a lack of information regarding this particular topic here.

But yes Yowie you are correct, a very simple setup, the pipe originally connecting both head breather ports that plumbed back into the inlet was horribly gummed up, I've simply added a can into the system and freshened up all of the hoses and clamps for OCD's sake. :lol:

marcus.bspec

UPDATE - THE LAST FEW MONTHS - CONTINUED OVER NEXT 3 POSTS

Postby marcus.bspec » Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:36 pm

OKAY, THIS WILL BE A BIG UPDATE

Its been a little while, thought it best to update the thread. I'll try my best to cover everything I remember happening within the last 3 months.

CATCH CAN - PCV DELETE [LATE NOV 2020]

As mentioned prior I had purchased 2 baffled and filtered cans for the car which I used for a few weeks before concluding that one of them was doing next to nothing and that I
had stumbled upon an opportunity to conduct some research and simplify the setup further.

I plugged the port on the inlet for the PCV can and got rid of the PCV Valve entirely, and removed the 2-port can originally used for the PCV system. The other can that remained was a 3-port can, with 2 inlets and 1 outlet.

1 Inlet was used to route the sump breather in, whilst the other was used for the hoses cut to equal length replacing the balancer pipe that ran to the head-breathers, and finally
the outlet ran back into the turbo inlet hose.

No issues so far. No signs of excessive crankcase pressure or build-up of oil in the inlet. Good result.

TURBO DIAGNOSIS AND TUNING - [LATE NOV 2020]

On the 26th of November the car went over to GIR after around a month of the GCG turbocharger having issues... at least that was suspected to have been the problem at the time.

I also, with the help of Matt (Kido) re-flashed the ECU with the factory tune, allowing Warwick to tune the car from scratch. The car barely drove with the bigger turbo and stock tune
and so for safety sake, I had the car towed to GIR.

Tune Day.JPG
Tune Day.JPG (45.93 KiB) Viewed 3066 times

I had put a .9mm restrictor in the oil feed to the Turbo with hopes that excessive oil pressure was the issue. This unit is Ball-bearing after all, and requires a small fraction of the oil needed to lubricate
journal bearing unit's or other. The plan was to get the car onto the Dyno, tune it, run it under load and hopefully clear any residual oil out of the turbine housing and the exhaust system.

Unfortunately, after tuning, the issue persisted, and so it was time for this Turbocharger to come off in order for me to inspect further and more closely.

The car drove away having made 172kw at the wheels on only 11 pounds of boost... stock boost pressure...

Tune Day 02.JPG
Tune Day 02.JPG (52.3 KiB) Viewed 3066 times

ALSO, I was now able to hear the Equal Length PSR Header at full song and god I absolutely love it. No more UEL EJ dub-dub noises, just the clean, refined sound of efficiency.

I had also managed to get around to a New Clutch, Group N Engine and Transmission mounts, a brand new Radiator and Radiator hoses and a bunch of other things.

INVESTIGATING OIL ISSUES - [LATE NOV 2020]

The turbo had been rebuilt once, and a restrictor went into the feed, but to no avail...

I got back into contact with GCG and was told that I should invest in an oil pressure regulator.... for a turbo supposedly designed to work with the stock configuration in terms of oil feed and return, and cooling. I would have entertained
the idea if I'd known it was a necessity from the beginning. It doesn't even out, stock turbo, no smoke anywhere. .. GTX goes on, smoke under boost...

They so generously offered to supply me with a Turbosmart OPR to solve the problem... a $100 part which would cost me more money to fit that what it was worth, once ofcourse you factor in AN fittings, lines, hose ends etc etc.

When they eventually got back to me they had this to say...

"Our offer to supply a free OPR is total at your discretion to accept or decline, but we would not be paying any further cost, as this is an assistance to your particular issue and not covering any sort of warranty issue...... Our offer is valid until the end of this
week 11/12/2020 and should you decide to take the OPR as a road to a solution then we will send one out, should you decline the offer this is where we part ways."

Mind you, I had been in contact since the week after the report was written by GIR confirming the car had been exhibiting unusual behaviour (burning oil and smoking out the exhaust) since the installation of the turbocharger. GCG claimed that they could not return the unit because
they could not prove it was faulty and because it was "used".....

...the difference in odo reading between the turbo going in and the first email I sent to GCG was approximately 80km.... "used" they reckon....

I was trying to be the honest consumer, supplying invoices where needed, keeping regular contact, but these guys did nothing more than make it known all they wanted was to get rid of me... which wasn't going to happen.

TURBO COMES OUT - [EARLY JAN 2021]

Here is a photo of the inside of the turbine housing...

turbine housing.JPG
turbine housing.JPG (57.73 KiB) Viewed 3066 times

The up pipe was bone dry.

OPR GOES IN - [EARLY JAN 2021]

I was due to go away for the summer and was hoping to take the car with me, however this was looking like it wasn't going to happen.

I continued asking GCG for a refund, and got back onto CMA to ask if they'd be happy to do a swap-over for another unit in their inventory. I was told it was up to GCG first, and so I decided to give the OPR a shot.

An absolute Legend by the name of PJ whom I had heard about through the JZX community, was able to make up a couple of -4AN lines all cut to length, and supply fittings for the OPR. There weren't any speed shops local to me that were open
at the end of December where I could get this stuff, thankfully PJ had previously worked for a few of them out South-East of Melbourne, and came through for me like an absolute champion.

OPR and fittings.JPG
OPR and fittings.JPG (68.92 KiB) Viewed 3066 times
lines.JPG
lines.JPG (33.75 KiB) Viewed 3066 times

I tapped into the Oil Filler neck
for the OPR return/drain for the time being, purely because if this didn't work/fix my issues with the turbo, I didn't want to have gone through the effort of welding any fittings onto a rocker cover or something more invasive and time consuming.

oil filler neck.JPG
oil filler neck.JPG (37.31 KiB) Viewed 3066 times

As fate would have it, the OPR did make a fair difference, but did NOT fix my problems all together. Instead of smoking constantly under load, it would now smoke for 4-5mins of regular driving after taking off, and then none at all... UNTIL the
car came to a stop and was allowed to sit at idle. Once I took off again, it would smoke out the exhaust for another 5 mins before clearing. And on and on and on....

This lead me to conclude that the turbo was in fact not leaking under load, but leaking at idle... As far as my fairly crude knowledge of Turbochargers goes, the faster the turbine spins, the greater aid on the seal of the CHRA. My hypothesis made sense.

I sent out an email just after the new year to Car Mods Australia (whom I had bought the unit from) to give this swap/refund one last try... otherwise I was going to have been $2000 out of pocket with a dodgey turbo.

SUSPENSION // 9K +12K SPRINGS - ALIGNMENT AND ADJUSTING HEIGHT - [MID JAN 2021]

I though it best to address other parts of the car in my spare time during time off work, because the car was grounded and I couldn't do anything until coming to a solution with CMA anyway, with regards to the turbo.

coil disassembled.JPG
coil disassembled.JPG (52.48 KiB) Viewed 3066 times
front springs.JPG
front springs.JPG (50.47 KiB) Viewed 3066 times

I purchased a set of 9K front springs for my Cusco Coilovers after learning quickly that 10K was a little too much... I installed 12K springs out back, and subsequently sacked the car as low as I could get it for a bit of a laugh... and ended up keeping it
that way.

height adjusted - car lower.JPG
height adjusted - car lower.JPG (66.63 KiB) Viewed 3066 times

I then took the car to Reid at Hakon Suspension, who gave the car a much needed alignment, and was able to give me a heap of advice on how to set up the car for track if ever that was something I'd be interested in for the future.

HAKON.JPG
HAKON.JPG (114.27 KiB) Viewed 3066 times

All round awesome service, could not be happier. Definitely recommend! Reid primarily deals with Nissans (GTR's of all gen's in particular) as well as a smattering of other vehicles. Be sure to check them out if you should need his services.

The new spring setup rides incredibly well... and surprisingly the car handles on a dime. Has the correct amount of roll, stiffness and travel, and doesn't understeer anymore... oh and its not back-breakingly stiff either....

Remember all, this is a street car that I want to look good, and handle as well as it could without compromising on too much. I also wanted to go slightly lower without the 9.5" Rays smacking the shit out of the guards on every bump in the road.

It feels like its always ready to boogie, has a great amount of grip and feels awesome.

CONTINUED IN NEXT POST
Last edited by marcus.bspec on Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.

marcus.bspec

PreviousNext

Return to Post your mods