Member Profile - Tragic MY10 Liberty GT

Show off what mods you've done to your car.

Member Profile - Tragic MY10 Liberty GT

Postby LibertyTragic » Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:32 pm

Hi All,

I consider my Liberty GT a completely unnecessary toy, hence why I call it "Tragic". Sort of re-living the early days of when I first got my license and always wanting a turbo Lib. Now that I have her, it's time to start modifying it tastefully to make it my own! Some parts have started to arrive!

Car details:
2009 MY10 Liberty GT Premium 5EAT
- Obsidian pearl black

Mods when purchased:
- 2x 12" Alpine R subs hooked up to the McIntosh stereo
- Factory bodykit and sti front lip

Mods completed (23/3/20):
- ROH RF1 18x8 +40 rims (complete)
- 3" AVO turbo back exhaust
- Chiptorque Ezyflash Tune
- MCA Coilovers
- dba slotted rotors and XP performance pads all round
- Crystal eye headlights

Future mods:
- None!

Pre-mod pics:

The MCA street essentials coilovers go in this week:

The dba rotors are sitting around awaiting for the pads to show up. Seems to have been a bit of a supply shortage recently on dba performance pads. Parts numbers below for benefit of others:
ImageImage

For the tune, I decided to go with ChipTorque's Ezyflash system. Pricey vs other options, yes, but the ease of use appealed to me. I have no local tuners where I am located, so remote tuning is my only option. I'm not expecting max numbers out of this path and that's ok with me. Chiptorque supplied me with a tune set for stock engine and for the TB exhaust, once I source and install one.

Speaking of the exhaust, it has been a little challenging sourcing one for my needs. Due to the rear factory bodykit, I need a muffler set that has removable tips, otherwise it will not fit inside the bodykit exhaust shrouds. This rules out the invida system (tips are welded on). X-force looks suitable, maybe with some muffler outlet shortening, but they no longer manufacture a TBE system for the Gen 5, just cat-back. So i'm thinking the AVO J-pipe and front pipe added to the X-force might be the go. Hopefully it all fits together without an issue...
Last edited by LibertyTragic on Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
LibertyTragic

Car: 2009 Liberty GT Premium
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=36145

Re: Member Profile - Tragic MY10 Liberty GT

Postby LibertyPrime » Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:33 pm

Looks nice mate, where did you get your headlights from?
LibertyPrime

Car: 2009 Subaru Liberty GT Premium MY10

Postby LibertyTragic » Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:25 pm

Cheers!

I don’t have the new headlights yet. Mine are stock at the moment (but clean!). The crystal eye headlights I am considering are these:
https://marsperformance.com.au/Black-3D ... 9-14-Wagon

Pretty sure a member on here has a set on their gen 5. I think it is a silver wagon.
LibertyTragic

Postby SYM » Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:11 pm

That might be me :)

I bought mine from Jesse Streeter a fair way back - very happy with them!

Welcome, and nice Gen5 btw!

I recently installed a set of H&R springs - had the guards rolled previously, and I'm not getting any scrubbing issues
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17124&start=270#p446028
[ MY10 Liberty GT Wagon ] : Powered by HKS | STi | KiDo | Cusco | Valenti | Crystal Eye | F&R Brembo BBK, cruisn style :mrgreen:

Pics | Jack Moss' awesome Prototype photography of the GT | MY10 LGT early days, and Most Recent pics
Vids | SYM Member Profile video | Our slick club.lib #bandbacktogether video plus Various other club.liberty vid compilations
SYM
-stickered-

Car: MY10 LGT Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17124

Postby LibertyTragic » Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:08 am

Ah my memory served me well! I do like those lights. I wonder how the Japan versions compare to mars... Thanks for the tip on Jessestreeter. How much were the lights landed from Japan?

My lib was dropped off today for the coilovers install. Looking forward to testing them out. Only going to drop it 25mm to start with so it is still somewhat drivable! I’ll post up my impressions and some pics once I get her back.

No scrubbing issues with my rims. Not big enough ;) and I preferred to go for a wheel choice I knew was going to fit without mods.
LibertyTragic

Postby fedaykin » Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:02 pm

Buying alibaba headlights via Japan? Whut
fedaykin

Car: MY10 GT Wagon 6MT

Postby LibertyTragic » Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:37 pm

Ok so the MCA coilovers are in!

First impressions of them are I'm stoked! If you are looking for potential coilover options but are concerned with comfort, these are the ones to get. You definitely notice the extra firmness over the factory bilsteins, but it is not firm enough to be unpleasant. I haven't fiddled with the damper settings just yet, currently running the recommended clicks from the spec sheet, which put it about half into the range.

The added performance is impressive. The car is now a skateboard! No thick swaybars etc. required. Highly recommended!

No issues at all with installation being custom made for the Gen 5 GT. Height has been set to ~35mm lower all round. Definitely now have to be more careful of curbs etc, but for the looks.... worth it 8)

LibertyTragic

Postby bigBADbenny » Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:42 am

Niiiiice!!!! :good:
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby LibertyTragic » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:43 pm

Hey all,

It's been a while since the last update on progress on the Lib. It's been a little bit of a frustrating journey with the car in various workshops for 7 weeks, and not always for go fast bits!

Here's what I've been up to:
- Many weeks back I installed a GFB Mach 2 recirc valve. Nothing exciting, just for avoiding boost leaks from the factory valve.
- Was in the panel shop for 2 weeks for a rear bumper replacement and paint, thanks to a tyre shop for reversing into it! At least they fixed it without fuss and no cost to me.
- Fixed my auto box for this issue: viewtopic.php?f=73&t=36223 That one hurt the wallet :cry:
- Finally received the correct dba XP performance pads for front and rear, allowing me to get all the rotors and pads on the car.
- Got the AVO TBE on the car, which also had a hold up as AVO had supplied some gen4 pipes in the cat-back section :( I can't catch a break! However, AVO were awesome in sending the correct parts straight over to my remote WA town.

So I finally have her back. Loaded the TBE tune onto the car and she sounds, drives, pulls and stops great now! Sticking with a 13psi tune for now until I'm happy the auto box is playing nicely. Plus i'm keeping an eye on a potential slow cooling leak, so don't want to push it to the limits.

Some latest pics and thoughts (after being treated to a wash):
dba T3 front slotted with XP pads. This is a great upgrade and the XP pads give great bite from cold. One reason I reckon the T3's are worth it over the T2's is the surface rust factor. The T3's suffer much less from this due to a higher quality steel.

Here are the part numbers for other gen5 owners, since the dba website and many other online retailers do not have this info:
Front pads: p/n DB1722XP
Rear pads: p/n DB1789XP

AVO turbo back exhaust. Very happy with the finish and quality of this exhaust and i'm stoked it fit in nicely with the factory rear skirt, which was one of my concerns with other brands. Very nice tone, not too loud and only a slight cabin drone when the car is loaded at ~1500rpm, which is not many driving conditions. Video to come later this week when I can whip out the gopro!

All clean!
LibertyTragic

Postby nay » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:48 pm

Looks good! I love the look of polished stainless steel exhaust, especially when it's brand new and so shiny!
[MY14 Liberty GT 6MT]: Tuned by MSR Engineering | Invidia Q300 TBE | Whiteline F + R Sway Bar Kit | Exedy HD Clutch | HKS Super SQV4 | Silvers Neomax S
nay

Car: MY14 Liberty GT 6MT
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=36098

Postby LibertyTragic » Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:20 pm

As promised, short video of the AVO turbo back exhaust system 8)

LibertyTragic

Postby LibertyTragic » Sun May 03, 2020 1:56 pm

Added an Ultrex rear spoiler lip in carbon fibre. Compliments the rear end nicely and breaks up the slanty butt of the gen V.

LibertyTragic

Postby LibertyTragic » Sun May 03, 2020 2:12 pm

Photo coz why not!

LibertyTragic

Postby Azza38 » Tue May 19, 2020 10:36 pm

Hey mate, the car looks great. I have just recently bought a 2011 GT.
I am very keen to put a rear lip spoiler like yours on and is that a splitter you have on the front? Was hoping to grab the website off you for those mods if possible as I’m struggling to find.
Cheers
Aaron
Azza38

Car: 2011 Subaru Liberty GT

Postby LibertyTragic » Wed May 20, 2020 9:52 pm

Hey Azza,

Welcome and congrats on the GT!

The rear boot spoiler is this one:
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=8720

The rest of my body kit is factory stuff that came with my car, namely the rear bodykit and exhaust shrouds and sti front lip. You can still buy these items OEM, but that option is rarely cheap. Worth investigating though. Perhaps ask the City Subaru guys who just posted on here with a new parts store: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=36295

I know a member Nay bought a replica sti front lip for his gen5 GT aftermarket, so it would be worth asking where he sourced it from. See here: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=36098#p446737
LibertyTragic

Next

Return to Post your mods