Member Profile - nay's MY14 Liberty GT

Show off what mods you've done to your car.

Member Profile - nay's MY14 Liberty GT

Postby nay » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:34 am

Car: 2014 Subaru Liberty GT Premium
Transmission: 6 Speed Manual
Colour: 37J Satin White Pearl

Hello peeps,
I've been surfing around the forums and Facebook page for a while now, and I thought it is about time that I'd make my first post :D , so here goes!

This is my 2014 Liberty GT that I had recently purchased from a dealership. Once upon a time, my eyes were set on buying a 4th Gen Lib, but when I came across this face-lifted 5th Gen with the some-what rare 6 Speed Manual, I knew I had to have it. Although the 4th Gen Lib is a more appealing package, you rarely come across modified 5th Gens which makes each one special 8) 8) . Also it's a newer car so the interior is WAAY better and it's cool that this car is one of the last Manual Turbo'd Libertys that Subaru made, with 2014 being the last year of production for this generation.

Anyways, the car was purchased completely stock and I decided that I'd keep it that way until the warranty period ended. This way I could enjoy the car for what it was designed to be, whilst allowing me to better distinguish the benefits of future mods. Now that warranty has ended.... the modifications have begun!

Current Mods
Boomba Short Shift Plate
COBB Shifter Stop
Perrin Brass Shifter Bushing
2015+ WRX Shifter upgrade
STI Group N Transmission Mount
Billetworkz Custom Shift Knob
STI Leather + Suede seats from VA WRX STI
AEM 52mm Boost Gauge
Invidia Q300 Catted Turboback Exhaust (cat-back + downpipe)
Whiteline F+R Sway bar Kit (incl. End-links, bushings, braces)
Whiteline Positive Shift Kit
Whiteline Front Roll Centre/Bump Steer Correction Kit
Whiteline Rear Diff Inserts/Bushings
SuperPro Front LCA Bushings Inner Front
SuperPro Front LCA Bushings Inner Rear
Exedy Sports Tuff Heavy Duty Clutch
Exedy Lightened Flywheel
STI Brembo F+R
DBA T3 4000 Series Slotted Rotors F+R
Intima SR Brake Pads F+R
Goodridge Stainless Steel braided brake lines
HKS Super SQV4 BOV
Silvers Neomax S Coilovers
Koya SF03 (18x9.0 +42 5x100 - Satin Bronze Chrome)
Michelin Pilot Sport 5 (245/40/18)
MSR Engineering Custom ECU Tune
SOTN'A Aeroparts Front Lip
Ultrex CF Boot Lip Spoiler
STI Replica Side Skirts
Crystal-Eye V2 Sequential Headlights
Philips Dual Colour CCT Switchback LED Fog light kit

Planned Mods
DAMD D-Shaped Steering Wheel OR 2015+ WRX/STI Steering wheel

Photos
ImageImage

Q300

Perrin Short Shifter Adapter + Bushing

Tune
Last edited by nay on Fri Mar 03, 2023 12:59 pm, edited 58 times in total.
[MY14 Liberty GT 6MT]: Tuned by MSR Engineering | Invidia Q300 TBE | Whiteline F + R Sway Bar Kit | Exedy HD Clutch | HKS Super SQV4 | Silvers Neomax S
nay

Car: MY14 Liberty GT 6MT
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=36098

Re: Member Profile - Nay's MY14 Liberty GT

Postby bigBADbenny » Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:08 pm

Niiiice :)
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby fedaykin » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:21 am

Very nice. A tad weird seeing the S-drive knob replaced with park brake.
I'd add DAMD d-shape steering wheel to your mod list, well worth the $500-odd IMO (grabbed mine via Jesse Streeter).
fedaykin

Car: MY10 GT Wagon 6MT

Postby nay » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:57 pm

fedaykin wrote:Very nice. A tad weird seeing the S-drive knob replaced with park brake.
I'd add DAMD d-shape steering wheel to your mod list, well worth the $500-odd IMO (grabbed mine via Jesse Streeter).

Yeah it's sad to see the SI Drive knob gone, there's a certain aura behind changing modes through a knob that you don't get when you press a button on the steering wheel :|.
Good idea with the DAMD wheel, I shall add it to my list! I think I smell an early Christmas present for myself :lol: :lol:. How was the install of your steering wheel, did you need to do any alignments?
[MY14 Liberty GT 6MT]: Tuned by MSR Engineering | Invidia Q300 TBE | Whiteline F + R Sway Bar Kit | Exedy HD Clutch | HKS Super SQV4 | Silvers Neomax S
nay

Re: Member Profile - nay's MY14 Liberty GT

Postby fedaykin » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:45 am

I think there's a guide either on here or legacygt (US forum), but it's pretty easy to figure out.
Disconnect battery, remove airbag centre bit, unbolt/bash/remove steering wheel, transfer switches, assemble and enjoy.
The wheel should go in at the same angle as the factory one, just line it up (lots of splines on the steering shaft).
fedaykin

Car: MY10 GT Wagon 6MT

Postby bigBADbenny » Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:35 pm

The gen4 damd wheels usually line up about 1/2 a tooth out.
This can be corrected at the tie rods next alignment.

However if it is a little out, it feels weird for the first few drives, then perfectly normal once you’re adjusted to it :P
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby nay » Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:33 am

fedaykin wrote:I think there's a guide either on here or legacygt (US forum), but it's pretty easy to figure out.
Disconnect battery, remove airbag centre bit, unbolt/bash/remove steering wheel, transfer switches, assemble and enjoy.
The wheel should go in at the same angle as the factory one, just line it up (lots of splines on the steering shaft).

Thanks, I'll definitely check out the US forum when the time comes.
nay

Postby nay » Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:18 pm

Clutch goes in today! The current clutch suffers from a slight rattle when engaging at low speeds, and the pedal is quite hard with little to no clutch feel. Decided to replace it with an Exedy Heavy Duty one (FJK-7683HD), as it will be needed when there's an increase in power in the not too distant future. I was also debating whether or not to replace the flywheel with an Exedy Lightened Flywheel but I figured it wasn't really worth the extra ≈$500 at this stage, so I opted to just machine the flywheel instead. I'll post my thoughts on the clutch once I get the car back.

nay

Postby nay » Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:06 am

The new clutch is installed and it's time to share my thoughts.

The clutch feel is very similar to the OEM one, which is not too surprising as I think the stock clutch is made by Exedy anyways. I noticed the biting point is quite low (or it's just me being used to a worn clutch with a high biting point) and required some getting used to. The heavy duty clutch is definitely not as forgiving as the stock one as range of the biting point is much smaller, and I found myself almost stalling on multiple occasions. Thankfully, the clutch grabs hard and I can now shift through gears MUCH quicker which is a complete blessing. Overall, the HD clutch is a good upgrade especially if you enjoy the feel of the OEM clutch but want improved characteristics, but on the flip side if you never liked the original clutch then you probably won't like this one either.
nay

Postby Tonic » Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:45 pm

My stock Subaru’s have always had a high clutch uptake... which is annoying. A low one is good imho provided that it is fully disengaged on below that point.
Tonic

Car: 06 Liberty 3.0RB now 09 facelift

Postby nay » Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:59 pm

Quick update, messaged Michael from MSR Engineering and booked in an Invidia catted downpipe install + tune for next Wednesday (27/11/2019). Also purchased a GFB Respons BOV from CMA which will also be installed at the same time. Originally had the tune planned for last Thursday, but I was told by Michael that Invidia had no stock until this week. Thankfully, a 40ft container with my downpipe has arrived and is being unpacked, so it should arrive at MSR very shortly where it awaits my install and tune =). I'm told the tune should hopefully reach 180-190kw atw.
nay

Postby nay » Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:42 am

The downpipe and bov have been installed, and the car is tuned to perfection by MSR Engineering. The car makes an impressive 200kw atw (the dyno sheet actually says 197.3kw but who cares 8) ) and 578nm of torque. Extremely happy with the outcome and all my expectations have been surpassed. Michael and his team at MSR Engineering did a fantastic job, and I would definitely recommend them to anyone who owns a Subaru.
nay

Postby nay » Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:52 pm

New year new look, the lib now has an STi style front lip which gives it a more aggressive look. I'm very pleased with how the front looks with the new lip. Install was fairly simple, the middle three holes on the lip line up with clips underneath the front bumper, and the sides can be secured with a screw on each wheel arch. I have provided some photos below

nay

Postby LibertyTragic » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:43 pm

Looking good :good:
LibertyTragic

Car: 2009 Liberty GT Premium
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=36145

Postby nay » Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:52 pm

LibertyTragic wrote:Looking good :good:

Thanks! The lib boat looks a bit sharper :lol: :lol:
nay

Next

Return to Post your mods