Should i buy new brakes and pad setup?

Springs, shock absorbers, swaybars,
Brakes, Wheels and Tyres

Re: Should i buy new brakes and pad setup?

Postby bigBADbenny » Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:20 pm

Perhaps they need to be properly hot to begin working eg heat range.
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby fedaykin » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:05 am

On my Skylines I ran QFM HPX and A1RM. They all squealed after bedding in, took them out, rubbed the face on something rough, re-bedded them and they were silent, even during track days.

I have Intima SR (got sent the wrong pads) on the front and SS on the back on my Liberty, silent with no problems braking (have to warm the SR up a tad, which is expected).

So make sure you have the shims, if there isn't any on the pads. Make sure your pistons/sliders/etc are greased and re-face the pads and re-bed if they're noisy. This is assuming your rotors are in good nick.
fedaykin

Car: MY10 GT Wagon 6MT

Postby vinshonz » Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:42 pm

fedaykin wrote:On my Skylines I ran QFM HPX and A1RM. They all squealed after bedding in, took them out, rubbed the face on something rough, re-bedded them and they were silent, even during track days.

I have Intima SR (got sent the wrong pads) on the front and SS on the back on my Liberty, silent with no problems braking (have to warm the SR up a tad, which is expected).

So make sure you have the shims, if there isn't any on the pads. Make sure your pistons/sliders/etc are greased and re-face the pads and re-bed if they're noisy. This is assuming your rotors are in good nick.

Yeh i dont have shims... Intima did not include any, said its not needed.. :angry2:
As previous post my EBC Reds had shims built in, or called backplates.

I've roughed up the serface 3 times now and re-bedded it in 3 times also, squeals like a mad at every traffic light.
Also squeals real bad when i reverse out of my garage
2008 Liberty GT Tuned by STi 27 of 250 made
PnP VF52, AVO TBE into TCP-Ti Mufflers, AVO panel filter, Mishimoto TMIC, Turbosmart Kompact BOV, Kobe Silicone Intake + SFB, Kobe 340LPH pump,
Tuspeed 3Port, Exedy HD + lightened flywheel, some Whiteline bits & Corgiwerx bits, Zeitronix Flex Fuel Analyser Kit , e85/98 Flex fuel -Got it REX tuned

2007 WRX Tuned by STi 35 of 200 made
STi Spec C TMIC+ProcessWest splitter, AVO TBE, X3E Silicone Intake, APS CAI, TurboSmart Kompact, Walbro, GrimmSpeed 3 Port, DEFI gauges
TD05-18G 198.5kw on RTRs Dyno - SOLD
vinshonz

Car: 2008 Liberty GT TunedBySTi

Postby fedaykin » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:48 am

I was pretty sure the Intima came with black backplates on my pads, but I'll double check.
fedaykin

Car: MY10 GT Wagon 6MT

Postby vinshonz » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:31 am

No backing plates.

This weekend was the 4th time i removed the pads. Glazed and Pitted

I've resurfaced the pads to new, but it just glazes and pits then squeals like mad.

Their going into the bin

Supercheap currently has 30% sale, im getting the new DBA pads :D
PnP VF52, AVO TBE into TCP-Ti Mufflers, AVO panel filter, Mishimoto TMIC, Turbosmart Kompact BOV, Kobe Silicone Intake + SFB, Kobe 340LPH pump,
Tuspeed 3Port, Exedy HD + lightened flywheel, some Whiteline bits & Corgiwerx bits, Zeitronix Flex Fuel Analyser Kit , e85/98 Flex fuel -Got it REX tuned

STi Spec C TMIC+ProcessWest splitter, AVO TBE, X3E Silicone Intake, APS CAI, TurboSmart Kompact, Walbro, GrimmSpeed 3 Port, DEFI gauges
vinshonz

Postby bigBADbenny » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:21 pm

Are you aware of what causes brake squealing?

It’s the pad jumping on the disc because the leading edge is stalling against the movement of the disc.

That is, the brake pistons are applying even force to the pad against the disc, but the discs rotation means there’s greater force applied to the disc at the leading edge, which sets up a standing wave in the pad, causing noise.

So typical solutions include deglazing, shims and grease, but also chamfering the pads leading and trailing edges and even adding some “toe-in” to the surface.

Eg when facing the pad or potentially preparing the shims essentially meaning that the trailing edge or section of the pad is doing slightly more work than the leading edge as it meets the disc rotor when braking.

It’s a little counterintuitive due to caliper location vs disc rotation, but eg on the front disc, you’d take a bit more material when deglazing or facing the pad, off the upper end of the pad as you’re looking at it in the caliper.

And lookup how to bed the new or prepared old pads, iirc it involves finding a quiet bit of road where you can safely get repeatedly stampy on the brakes, but giving them time to cool somewhat between stamps :P
bigBADbenny

Postby vinshonz » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:52 am

pads finnally arrived, look they come with backing plates :air_kiss:

vinshonz

Postby vinshonz » Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:29 pm

just to update

Machined Rotors
Fit on DBA Pads
Same mechanic
same bed in procedure
currently on my 3rd day on this pad and not a single squeal :D :evil:

ps. this time i took out the Intima Pads, they were burnt.. is this could a manufacturing fault?

vinshonz

Postby bigBADbenny » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:36 pm

Send some pics to the vendor, distributor, and manufacturer.
Someone might be interested. Worth a shot.
bigBADbenny

Postby vinshonz » Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:05 pm

bigBADbenny wrote:Send some pics to the vendor, distributor, and manufacturer.
Someone might be interested. Worth a shot.

Yeh im currently speaking with Paul @ Street to Track, hes been very helpful.

4th day and still not a noise :mrgreen:

-edit- Intima decided to not come into play this time.
my advice to anyone buying Intimas, make sure you get backing plates. Or buy another brand :)

vinshonz

Postby 77T » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:45 pm

Update here also. Changed out the Intima SS for QFM Premium,night and day difference. Hot or cold you don't have to push the pedal to floor to feel any bite what so ever.

I would not advise anyone to use Intima,they actually feel dangerous in traffic

vinshonz wrote:Thank you for info. Can you explain what you mean by dont bite properly? Is its squealing like mine?

bite as in slowing down the car :)
they literally feel like wooden pads
77T

Car: MY05 Liberty 3.0R Sedan

Postby vinshonz » Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:41 pm

thanks for the reply 77t

im still very happy with my DBA pads, never a single noise and bites very good.

so glad i bit the bullet and bought another brand

vinshonz

Postby Wellsie » Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:31 pm

Good to know about the DBA pads. Might have to keep them in mind when the next pad change comes around. Running Project MU NS400s on DBA T2's atm and my only complaint is that when there cold, the brake pedal is a bit long till they warm up and then there fine. Was thinking some QFM pads for next time as well
Wellsie

Car: 07 Subaru Liberty GT Spec B

Postby benignbrent » Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:34 pm

I'd recommend you do so from a professional and reliable mechanic shop. In the Chatswood area, I'd recommend you try visiting Karl Knudsen Automotive for your car wrecking and car part needs. Their products and service are guaranteed to be cheap but of good quality.
benignbrent

Car: honda civic

Previous

Return to Suspension, Brakes, Wheels and Tyres.