Brembo brakes generation 5 GT wagon

Springs, shock absorbers, swaybars,
Brakes, Wheels and Tyres

Brembo brakes generation 5 GT wagon

Postby Bludger » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:08 pm

First of all, please bare with me. I'm a newby.
I have vast experience with late 80's, 90's & early 2000 Honda's.
What calipers fit what knuckles, in combination with what PCD, etc but I have no idea with Subaru's.
I just bought myself a gen 5 GT wagon.
Reading through the various threads regarding Brembo brakes, they all refer to just Brembo.
Is it the case that all the different Brembo brakes from different models have the same mounting?
No one ever describes what make and model car the Brembo specifically came from.

Could someone please make it crystal clear, what's needed for my gen 5 GT wagon.
Do I need to change PCD?
Which model do the Brembo's come from?
Change hubs?

Please spoon feed me. Thank you.
Bludger

Car: Subaru Forester

Re: Brembo brakes generation 5 GT wagon

Postby Surge » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:49 pm

The best summary for the genV is here :

https://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.ph ... tcount=554

Apart from the brakes, that thread covers a lot of "Parts from other models/years that fit our 5th gen".
Surge

Car: 2010 lib GT 5eat

Postby fedaykin » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:16 pm

fedaykin

Car: MY10 GT Wagon 6MT

Postby Bludger » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:53 pm

fedaykin wrote:https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/brembo-upgrade-parts-list-223533.html
https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread. ... 70152.html

Enjoy.

Thanks, that’s great
Bludger

Postby Bludger » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:54 pm

Surge wrote:The best summary for the genV is here :

https://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.ph ... tcount=554

Apart from the brakes, that thread covers a lot of "Parts from other models/years that fit our 5th gen".

This is awesome too. Thanks
Bludger

Postby g300d » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:16 am

I did this on an MY10 sedan, exactly the same parts for your wagon though.

What you want is a set of MY08-up WRX STI calipers. The black ones with "STI" on them. These bolt right up. I used calipers off an MY11 WRX STI.

Alternately MY04-07 WRX STI calipers (the gold ones) will also work, fronts bolt on but rears will require an adapter bracket.

Make sure your Brembo calipers come with the mounting bolts because your stock bolts are a different thread pitch and will not fit.

You will need rotors to match. You can use MY08-up WRX STI OEM rotors but they will need to be redrilled to 5x100. This is what I went with.

Or you can buy DBA rotors, 04-up WRX STI 5x100/5x114 fronts and 08-up WRX STI 5x100/5x114 rears.

DO NOT attempt to use 04-07 WRX STI rear rotors. Even if you can get them in 5x100 they are different in height from the MY08-ups, so rotor will not be centered in the caliper, causing binding

Your existing brake lines will work with the Brembos.

Dust shields need to be modified, fronts will need no or only little massaging, rears need to be removed or trimmed at the edges and around the caliper for clearance.
g300d

Car: MY10 Leggy GT 5EAT

Postby Bludger » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:04 pm

g300d wrote:I did this on an MY10 sedan, exactly the same parts for your wagon though.

What you want is a set of MY08-up WRX STI calipers. The black ones with "STI" on them. These bolt right up. I used calipers off an MY11 WRX STI.

Alternately MY04-07 WRX STI calipers (the gold ones) will also work, fronts bolt on but rears will require an adapter bracket.

Make sure your Brembo calipers come with the mounting bolts because your stock bolts are a different thread pitch and will not fit.

You will need rotors to match. You can use MY08-up WRX STI OEM rotors but they will need to be redrilled to 5x100. This is what I went with.

Or you can buy DBA rotors, 04-up WRX STI 5x100/5x114 fronts and 08-up WRX STI 5x100/5x114 rears.

DO NOT attempt to use 04-07 WRX STI rear rotors. Even if you can get them in 5x100 they are different in height from the MY08-ups, so rotor will not be centered in the caliper, causing binding

Your existing brake lines will work with the Brembos.

Dust shields need to be modified, fronts will need no or only little massaging, rears need to be removed or trimmed at the edges and around the caliper for clearance.

You win 300 internet points.
Thanks
Bludger

Postby g300d » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:56 pm

Glad to help! Post pics if you go for it, upgraded brakes are sexy!

Oh, and one more thing, Brembos will not clear stock LGT wheels, you will need to put 3/4" or taller spacers up front.

If you go aftermarket wheels do your research because offset is not a reliable indicator the wheels will clear.
g300d

Car: MY10 Leggy GT 5EAT

Postby Bludger » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:58 am

g300d wrote:Glad to help! Post pics if you go for it, upgraded brakes are sexy!

Oh, and one more thing, Brembos will not clear stock LGT wheels, you will need to put 3/4" or taller spacers up front.

If you go aftermarket wheels do your research because offset is not a reliable indicator the wheels will clear.

Thanks, I’ll definitely post pictures if and when I decide to go ahead with the brake upgrade.
Bludger

Postby Bludger » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:59 am

g300d wrote:Glad to help! Post pics if you go for it, upgraded brakes are sexy!

Thanks, I’ll definitely post pictures if and when I decide to go ahead with the brake upgrade.
Bludger

Return to Suspension, Brakes, Wheels and Tyres.