Member Profile - It's a nice day for a white wagon!

Show off what mods you've done to your car.

Re: Member Profile - It's a nice day for a white wagon!

Postby applegeek897 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:12 pm

Nice stuff. Was hoping you'd still have those arms for when I get my tax back. Oh well.
Daily: '00 Daihatsu Cuore "Kelly" - Build Thread -
Project / Weekender: '05 Subaru Liberty 3.0R-B Wagon - Build Thread -
Motorcycle: '14 Triumph Street Triple 660 - Build Thread -
applegeek897

Car: 05' 3R-B Wagon, 00' Daihatsu Cuore
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=31247

Postby HardwareBoB » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:43 am

I've been busy - Still not finished though!

240mm plastic hose - Using a stepless Oetiker clamp to secure it to be 100% sure.

Heavy duty bulkhead terminals - Wired to the pump and to the factory wiring, so I could drive it before I had the whole re-wire finished.

Terminals on the top with 10awg wiring

10awg goes along the factory path back to the FPCM in the rear.

6mm2 dual wire from Super cheap - run from the battery through the firewall (not pictured - 30A fuse on the wire in the engine bay)

Through the drivers sill

Passenger sill

And into the rear, so we now have new power, and new fuel pump wiring terminating in the same place.

A bunch of work later, and we have new power running to the FPCM, triggered off a relay from the old power, and the new fuel pump wiring working.

I've also set it up using XT60 plugs (usually for RC cars, but they are high power connectors) so that I could bypass the FPCM if I want to.

All buttoned down.

Pulled out the injectors, they were really dirty on the passenger side, but I had them tested, and there was no flow issues, so wash them over and put them back with new O rings - new fuel rails should arrive shortly.

Also found this, was rubbing on the intake - Already have a replacement and will fix the rubbing.

Also finally got around to finishing a project I've had sitting on the bench for years - hard wiring the dashcam.

I also ordered new speakers for F+R, and I'll be putting in the door sound deadening over the next week.
HardwareBoB

Car: MY05 GT 5MT Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=27514

Postby bigBADbenny » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:11 am

So good!
Did you refer to, or differ from, the FPCM wiring upgrade thread on LGT?

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread. ... 13570.html
And:
https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread. ... 42295.html

The option to completely bypass the FPCM, if required, is a great idea. :good:

A good tip re: reinstalling injectors is to push the pintles in with a round hard plastic nib or spudger, prior to reinstallation, to prevent the dreaded stuck injector issue...
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby HardwareBoB » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:18 pm

bigBADbenny wrote:So good!
Did you refer to, or differ from, the FPCM wiring upgrade thread on LGT?

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread. ... 13570.html
And:
https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread. ... 42295.html

The option to completely bypass the FPCM, if required, is a great idea. :good:

A good tip re: reinstalling injectors is to push the pintles in with a round hard plastic nib or spudger, prior to reinstallation, to prevent the dreaded stuck injector issue...

Yes, I used that as a starting point, but obviously there's some variation on how I did it, in terms of using new terminals for the pump, and I ran earth from the engine bay (mostly because the wire was already in a pair) etc.
HardwareBoB

Postby bigBADbenny » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:39 pm

Awesome, so the oe pump top plug/loom is only being used for the fuel level sender?

You replaced the fuel proof hose that kinked with the oe hose and oetiker clamps?
bigBADbenny

Postby HardwareBoB » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:47 am

bigBADbenny wrote:Awesome, so the oe pump top plug/loom is only being used for the fuel level sender?

You replaced the fuel proof hose that kinked with the oe hose and oetiker clamps?

Yes, that's right.

Yeah I did - it's not an OE hose (though it's very similar and may be 'the same'), it's a 10x240mm raceworks hose. the stepless clamps are extra insurance, especially with the high flow/pressure.
HardwareBoB

Postby bigBADbenny » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:12 am

Love it.
Oetiker stepless are so good.
I have the stepless screw clamps on my avo tb hose and they easily hold the tmic in place before installing the bracket n hot side bolts :)
Thanks for all the details I missed on FB.
bigBADbenny

Postby HardwareBoB » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:45 pm

More updates!

Speakers for F+R.

Sound deadened the front doors - inner and outer.

3D printed speaker adapters:

Clutch Clevis upgrade from ozfoz - Upgrade the bushing which wears and gets a lot of play to a bearing which is far more direct. This was $100 of machining, $75 for the kit and took over 3 hours, but it did actually make a significant difference to pedal feel

Full album and details: https://imgur.com/a/XUa6fZy

Bonus pic of my 3d printer setup:

Bench tested my ethanol content sensor setup to ensure that the arduino worked with the sensor correctly (the sensor is in the car, but the system isn't yet)

Got a set of radium rails, including a pulse dampener, and all new injector O rings.

.. Of course, my car isn't normal size for some reason and the standoffs aren't the right height:

I took a measurement, and it seemed like they needed an extra 3.1mm - Fortunastely they ship with two sizes, 15mm and 27mm, so I had the 27mm ones machined down to 18.1 - and they fit perfectly

Installed the ethanol content sensor - the fittings to install it cost more than the sensor.

I rejiggered the power and wiring in the cabin so I can put a cubby back in and I don't need to use the cigarette power for the dash, that was getting old. Now it feels like a car and not an electronics project.

But the biggest news is - The fuel pressure issue seems to be fixed! I'm getting solid fuel pressure, and under heavy load it dies in the ass - because it's obscenely rich, because it was tuned to cope with the fuelling issues. I suspect the major fix was the injector seals, but the significant upgrade of the pump and wiring certainly hasn't hurt.

I'm just installing romraider on my new laptop so I can have a look at what's going on, we should be able to adjust the MAF scaling appropriately, and then go for a full tune and go for big power.
HardwareBoB

Postby applegeek897 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:54 pm

Nice updates Matt. The clutch thing has been added to my to-do list for sure.
Daily: '00 Daihatsu Cuore "Kelly" - Build Thread -
Project / Weekender: '05 Subaru Liberty 3.0R-B Wagon - Build Thread -
Motorcycle: '14 Triumph Street Triple 660 - Build Thread -
applegeek897

Car: 05' 3R-B Wagon, 00' Daihatsu Cuore
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=31247

Postby bigBADbenny » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:05 pm

Love it!
How much machining was required?
Just the hole in the clutch pedal actuator/lever for the sealed bearing?
bigBADbenny

Postby HardwareBoB » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:23 pm

bigBADbenny wrote:Love it!
How much machining was required?
Just the hole in the clutch pedal actuator/lever for the sealed bearing?

yeah that's it, it's just a royal pain in the butt to do - see the full link in the post, I had to bend a coathanger to hook into the pin to remove it to get the clutch out.
HardwareBoB

Postby bigBADbenny » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:10 pm

Totally missed that so thanks!
I’m delaying testing my clevis, permanently!
bigBADbenny

Postby HardwareBoB » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:13 am

I picked up a COBB airbox to enclose my pod, interestingly the cobb setup is quite different, and I have the FMIC piping, so it required a bit of love.

Doing some CAD:

Cut up the airbox, do some CAD to make the missing piece:

Test fit:

TADA:

Pickup a snorkus, and here we are:

I ordered a black hose to replace the blue one, and when it arrived, it was also blue. I've made a complaint so we'll see how that goes.

Finally finished sound deadening all the doors - holy crap this makes a huge difference, it's like a different car now.

Had to design an adapter to fit just right with the 6.5" speakers for the rears

Padding on the back, because the actual speaker recess goes inwards

In place on the door

The sound is now incredible - I'm into the sound system for less than $1500 and it sounds like a million bucks. The best bang for the buck was the sound deadening - if I had to do only one thing on a low budget, that's what I'd do (and repair any broken speakers).

Picked up a comically large 12" sub cheap from a local seller:

This really rounds it out at middle volume - and really cranks when you turn it up. I'll probably set it up with a quick disconnect, and retain the 8" sub so I can change between them.

I also removed the front spats - wasn't happy with how they looked with the side skirts:
HardwareBoB

Postby bigBADbenny » Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:28 pm

Jet city indeed :P
The car looks great, yet not ostentatious.
A real Q-ship :good:
bigBADbenny

Postby HardwareBoB » Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:00 pm

Time for more updates!

Installed an ethanol sensor with an arduino controller ... turns out the ECU doesn't support flex, but I might want to in future, and it's nice to have the data.

Picked up a Radium jet pump to deal with the extra flow of the 460 - Tell you what, doing fuel right is expensive as hell. If I was starting again, I would immediately go for a medium size lift pump to a surge tank with a walbro in it.

This is a CANable - nice little unit that integrates to the pi. Deciding to move to CAN to talk between the stuff I put in the car was one of the best decisions, although I wish I'd made it earlier, the design is a bit weird in places because of it. I can also understand why everything in cars now is CAN.

Et Voila!

Down to springy for a tune....

They installed the jet pump, drilled a hole in the bucket (it was sucking the bucket dry), but sadly couldn't make much power - Suspected a blocked cat, but it wasn't blocked.

I got it back, and I could tell immediately that something was weird - the wastegates started opening at 5psi, which is super obnoxious in traffic. I did some testing and clamped the wastegate line.

After doing this the wastegates opened at ... 10psi. Maximum boost is 16. Clearly the spring in at least one of the wastegates has failed.

Time to burn some money:

Twin GFB EX38 wastegates with added 5psi springs (comes with 10psi).

Old vs new

The old ones, one of them clearly has a weak spring, so the diagnosis is solid. I haven't yet installed the new ones, so we'll have to come back to this.

While I was there, I spotted the cause of yet another oil leak that was being masked by an earlier oil leak (the AVCS gears AND the AVCS actuator) - the cam sensor.

Same as the AVCS actuator - simple age and heat from the exhaust have killed the O ring.

My chinese android head unit expired after a brown out issue, which was unfortunate, so I took advantage of boxing day sales to grab this from SCA:

Make up the harness, and do a few adjustments:

It works well! But when I installed it, It still had the earth whine I had put down to the old head unit, so I went hunting with a spare cable.

The earth on the amp was crappy! I took the bolt out, cleaned it up with the brass bristle wheel on the grinder and cleaned off the paint nicely where it sits, reinstalled it all, no whine!

Bonus picture of the phone holder I normally have in the car, which is super handy.

The Cam sensor O ring is not a normal size, isn't available seperately from subaru, and the part by itself is about $100. It's also the christmas break right now, so I went to bursons, pirtek, and then AB seals, who were closed, but should have what I need. I will clean it up and refit, and go back in the new year for new O rings (I'll get a bunch and do both exhaust sensors - I think it's the same size as the AVCS actuators too.).

I'll also get the wastegates on soon, Test drive it a bit and get some logs, then we'll be ready for a tune where (hopefully) nothing breaks/is broken and I can finally make decent power.
HardwareBoB

PreviousNext

Return to Post your mods