Centre Diff Binding

Posts specific to the 3.0 litre NA H6 engine

Re: Centre Diff Binding

Postby crazyricochet » Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:21 pm

Always read and knew about it but have never experienced it.

Center diff on the wagon has started to bind when doing very slow tight carpark full lock manouvers after the driveline is warmed up. Off to corgiwerx I go, ho ho ho and some shifter bushes too, 15mm of side to side sloppy goodness

Car is at 154,000km, about the km all these things start to happen.
crazyricochet

Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=30231

Postby tom_kauf » Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:45 pm

crazyricochet wrote:Always read and knew about it but have never experienced it.

Center diff on the wagon has started to bind when doing very slow tight carpark full lock manouvers after the driveline is warmed up. Off to corgiwerx I go, ho ho ho and some shifter bushes too, 15mm of side to side sloppy goodness

Sorry to hear that, but unfortunately it happens to us all eventually.
Before spending big on Centre Diff work, make sure you quickly spray lubrication your shocks (mentioned in this thread). The clunk the Bilsteins make sounds very similar to the diff. You might find that's the source of your noise.
[Stealth & Speed - Comfort & Practicality]: My 2008 MY09 GT SpecB Wagon - Manual 200,000km
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Car: 2008 Liberty GT SpecB Manual Wagon

Postby BillyCorgi » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:38 am

crazyricochet wrote:Center diff on the wagon has started to bind when doing very slow tight carpark full lock manouvers after the driveline is warmed up. Off to corgiwerx I go, ho ho ho and some shifter bushes too, 15mm of side to side sloppy goodness

CW38913AA112 Centre Differential presently in stock.
Shifter Bushings made to order is 48 hours.
Ready when you are!
Cheers!

Image image posting
Get your Short Shift Adaptor viewtopic.php?f=68&t=30525
Get your Gear Shift Rejuvenation Kit viewtopic.php?f=68&t=31240
Get your Centre Differential Rebuild viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31089
Want a custom built Brake Cylinder Stopper? viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31321
Need to hire a Guard Rolling Machine? viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31899
Get your BillyCorgi's "Not-4-Wimps" Chilli Sauce
BillyCorgi

Car: Liberty 3.0R-B Wagon E85 Flex Fuel
Profile URL: www.facebook.com/CorgiWerx

Postby crazyricochet » Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:26 pm

tom_kauf wrote:
crazyricochet wrote:Always read and knew about it but have never experienced it.

Sorry to hear that, but unfortunately it happens to us all eventually.
Before spending big on Centre Diff work, make sure you quickly spray lubrication your shocks (mentioned in this thread). The clunk the Bilsteins make sounds very similar to the diff. You might find that's the source of your noise.

The whole car jerks and shakes like it's about to stall and will only do it when the car is warm and driven, inline with the typical symptoms described in this thread.
It's more than just the clunk noise alone on it's so I quite doubt it's the shocks, it doesn't clunk at any other time but if I've got any spray lying around it'll cost me nothing to do. :)
crazyricochet

Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=30231

Postby tom_kauf » Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:39 pm

crazyricochet wrote:The whole car jerks and shakes like it's about to stall and will only do it when the car is warm and driven, inline with the typical symptoms described in this thread.
It's more than just the clunk noise alone on it's so I quite doubt it's the shocks, it doesn't clunk at any other time but if I've got any spray lying around it'll cost me nothing to do. :)

Yeah, the worn Bilstein Shocks can be felt through the whole car (through the steering wheel especially, but everwhere in the front end to some extend). And yeah, the common Billie Knock is also only when the car is warm.

I didn't want to believe it either at first, but I had to when some symptoms remained even after a new centre diff. It still doesn't really make sense, but yeah try it and rule out the shocks. Then you can be pretty certain it's the diff, and send BillyCorgi a message :).
[Stealth & Speed - Comfort & Practicality]: My 2008 MY09 GT SpecB Wagon - Manual 200,000km
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Postby Pylon 500 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:15 pm

Not sure this is the right place, but it's sort of related to the centre diff, and mainly a question to Corgi, or if you know where I should go...
Was thinking back to some of the work I had to do on my SVX and remember reading all about the way the speedo reads, and the fact the JDM and Local versions used different positions in the gearbox to generate the speedo signal.
I then got to thinking that, as well as reading the splines and crown wheels in the gearbox, there is also the 'tone' wheels on the brakes to sort out the ABS.
My question is;
Would it be possible to source the gearbox, ABS info, to feed a 'comparison' box LED array, that could inform of the different rotational speeds of each individual wheel?
I know this would only be useful while driving dead straight, but it could be in indicator to my concept of maintaining equal rolling diameters, to lessen the binding problem?
How hard would this be to set up?
I ask because any electrical thing more complex than a AAA battery, is white man magic to me!
1980 L Series
1990 L Series
1992 SVX
2004 B spec R 3.0l 6MT Wagon
Pylon 500

Car: 2004 3.0 BspecR wagon
Profile URL: https://picasaweb.google.com/113292981019876413104

Postby bigBADbenny » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:51 pm

You'd want to pm svxdc on the legacy Gt site.
He's the guru on such matters :)
Maybe try a jaycar speedo corrector for the meter?
However it's a question I found by researching the subject in relation to making a full connection to the 2nd gen DCCD pro requiring 4 ch wheel speed data. The info was on a Porsche related site and used a special $500 box & abs sensor taps that didn't upset the abs and can system eg throw codes.
I'll dig up the link. http://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-d ... -data.html
They clearly state abs can be logged from the module itself.
I'm very interested from a tyre pressure monitoring point of view.
And the Suby related entry: http://electronics.stackexchange.com/qu ... eed-sensor
My understanding is either methods may intercept the signal between abs module and the BIU/BIM or ECU...
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby bigBADbenny » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:30 pm

Updated ^, let us know how you get on :)
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby wildotan » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:52 am

Bah, mine made it to 230k. But just did an interval 1 service and a few simple checks and looks like my centre diff is now gone too. I replaced KU22's on the fronts only in Dec. Silly me. Off to STechnic I go, or do I live with it for a couple of months and do the clutch at the same time?
wildotan

Car: 2005 3.0RB Wagon

Postby BillyCorgi » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:25 am

wildotan wrote:Bah, mine made it to 230k. But just did an interval 1 service and a few simple checks and looks like my centre diff is now gone too.

Hi there Will,
Peter from the CorgiWerx Technical Help desk.
The classic failure mode for the viscous coupling centre differential is a distinct BANG-BANG-BANG-BANG- from the front driveline during a tightish slow turn when hot.
The BANG-BANG-BANG-BANG will go away when cold only to reappear once more when the driveline is hot once more and back up to operating temperature.
The centre diff BANG-BANG is deeper and slower than the higher pitched and faster Clackity-Cackity-Clack-Clack of a CV joint wearing out.
The centre diff can be repalced with the engine and gearbox still mounted in the car, and of course while the gearbox is out for a clucth replacement.

CorgiWerx support the Subaru Enthusiast community with exchange refurbished centre differentials as a lower cost option to OEM replacement.
Hope this helps
BillyCorgi

Postby wildotan » Thu May 03, 2018 10:07 am

Thanks Peter - Billy Corgi,

Just had my front CVs replaced as a pre-emptive strike. And the classic BANG BANG BANG refusal to go is still there on full lock. The symptoms are definitely Center Diff. Cold = ok but after a 15 - 20 minute run then the full lock turn symptoms appear.

I'm still a bit skeptical that running uneven tyres will do this, my front KU22's are newish, and the rears are wornish. I'd estimate a 3mm tread wear difference so 6 mm accross the full diameter. You could end up with this kind of difference in treadwear difference just from your style of driving, so if the VC can't handle it - I'd reckon its a design fault, or at the very least a poor design. I'm sure that if you just did freeway kms all day everyday then having the equivalent of a 100W light bulb heating up that silicone will reduce life. But seriously? The amount Subaru want for replacement is bs.
Last edited by wildotan on Thu May 03, 2018 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
wildotan

Postby tom_kauf » Thu May 03, 2018 10:27 am

wildotan wrote:Thanks Billy Corgi,

Just had my front CVs replaced as a pre-emptive strike. And the classic BANG BANG BANG refusal to go is still there. The symptoms are definitely Center Diff. Cold = ok but after a 15 - 20 minute run then the full lock turn symptoms appear.

I'm still a bit skeptical that running uneven tyres will do this, my front KU22's are newish, and the rears are wornish. I'd estimate a 3mm tread wear difference so 6 mm accross the full diameter. You could end up with this kind of difference in treadwear difference just from your style of driving, so if the VC can't handle it - I'd reckon its a design fault, or at the very least a poor design. I'm sure that if you just did freeway kms all day everyday then having the equivalent of a 100W light bulb heating up that silicone will reduce life. But seriously? The amount Subaru want for replacement is bs.

Hi wildotan, it will either be the Centre Diff, or the Shocks. Dedinitely go with Billy Corgi if you need a refurbished Diff, because he does excellent work (at a much cheaper price than Subaru wants for a new Diff).

But make sure you rule out the shocks first.
I had my Centre Diff replaced by the Dealer at a huge cost (before Billy started doing Diff refurbishments), and most of the noise was still there :? .
It wasn't until someone suggested spraying WD40 on the top of the shocks, that I could confirm they were the source of the noise. The noise was gone for almost a week :D. It's something that's almost free to try, so I can highly recommend that.
Jack the car up one side at a time, spray WD40 on the shiny part of the shock in the wheel-well (lift up the plastic shock-cover if needed). It'll be the front ones, so no need to do the rears. But the noise was instantly gone on my car, no matter how much I drove.
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Postby BillyCorgi » Fri May 04, 2018 6:40 pm

wildotan wrote: I'm sure that if you just did freeway kms all day everyday then having the equivalent of a 100W light bulb heating up that silicone will reduce life.

Have you held onto a 100 watt light bulb recently? LOL
BillyCorgi

Postby wildotan » Tue May 08, 2018 12:15 pm

100W light bulb? I changed one out the other day and YES it hurt like F*7c! when I held it for fun...

But yes, thanks for all the info - I'll try the high performance WD40 PFE on the Billy Steins tonight. I'm hoping it works but am pretty sure - there's this humming coming from the drivetrain at 70km/hr above as well as the binding issue...all points to the Center Diff.

Peter - you are a legend.
wildotan

Postby BillyCorgi » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:50 am

Does anyone know how to track down Wildotan?
West Australian member
Have replied to his measge.

CorgiWerx have a Centre Differential avialble for him, ready to ship.
BillyCorgi

Previous

Return to 3.0R & 3.6R engine specific