Stock turbo upgrades

Posts specific to the 2.5 litre turbo engine

Re: Stock turbo upgrades

Postby bigBADbenny » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:48 pm

Yeah I noticed something different about the idle in the tune, but I also have upgraded to a lightweight flywheel which could be a contibuting factor... I’ll ask Matt right now...
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby TBSTI-Wagon » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:40 am

bigBADbenny wrote:Yeah I noticed something different about the idle in the tune, but I also have upgraded to a lightweight flywheel which could be a contibuting factor... I’ll ask Matt right now...

Perhaps while you're asking him, you could ask him to take a look at a PM I shot him a while back about getting a tune here in Canberra...?

We "may" be putting the wagon up for sale in a bit (Mrs wants to start planning for our longer-term trip 'round Oz in a M/home...beginning by buying the 4WD to tow behind it = the Wagon would have to go to make way...:( )

Would "MUCH" rather have the thing properly tuned to safe levels prior to putting up for sale.
TBSTI-Wagon

Car: 2008 Liberty Wagon GT Spec B TBSTI

Postby bigBADbenny » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:48 am

Will do (or post in the tune visit thread) and Matt reckons it’s my lwfw re: idle...
bigBADbenny

Postby Shaheenis » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:57 pm

My idle has corrected itself I think it was just relearning. Tune feels solid and about to give it a bit more curry with a logger to see whats happening. Definitely feeling more perky down low, coming on boost sooner so I agree I don't need a turbo upgrade.

As this is a turbo thread and to share some knowledge I have gained via research here goes.

I found some threads in the US regarding the VF52 and the Blouch 380XT. There was a debate about the merits of upgrading from a VF52 to a Blouch 380XT and the conclusion was that although the Blouch would be a better outright turbo, it would not be worth replacing a VF52 with this turbo due to the cost and little gain (5-10% or ~20whp). I am assuming that is based on the 7cm exhaust housing not the 8cm as the turbo is rated at 400hp.

I also learned that people are successfully running VF52 turbos on either E85 or with EWG and making 250kws and 220-230kws on 98 so the turbo has more than enough legs for my application (around 38lb/m versus 40lb/m 380XT).
Shaheenis
A few sensible mods and tuned by Matt (Kido).
Link to Member Profile
Link to photos of both wagons and intro page
Shaheenis

Car: Pearl White MY07 GTB Wagon 6MT

Postby bigBADbenny » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:00 pm

Fantastic and thanks for that info :good:

What I’ve learned, mostly from the 6 star speed and garret websites:

VF series turbos are all very similar, at least at STi levels or so says 6star...

Inducer and exducer locations are reversed between compressor and turbine, kinda obvs, kinda not.

Turbo wheel trim is a reasonably simple formula, yet I’m struggling to derive a rule of thumb from the figures.
I’ll have to experiment with more examples as per the garret site. Keeping in mind it’s an expression of area, iirc...

Some wheelspin may be experienced with a vf46, 3”tbe, dccd in open mode (no controller yet) and of course the latest ThrottleHappy tune :P

It should be no surprise really since the turbo and the stock heads are surely optimised with low end torque the focus: to get my c1650kg barge off the line ;)
bigBADbenny

Postby dr20t » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:18 pm

If you're going to the effort of changing wheels on a stock frame turbo, I would look at an equivalent 6 blade bw billet wheel,

Mick
Addicted to corn juice....

My FrankenStien build thread here: viewtopic.php?t=14137
dr20t

Car: 04 Liberty GT Auto
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?t=14137

Postby jarrenowen » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:08 am

here is a look at the billet vf52.
Attachments
Billet VF52.jpg
Billet VF52.jpg (126.84 KiB) Viewed 4179 times
jarrenowen

Car: 2007 Liberty Gt Spec.B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=31061

Postby Shaheenis » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:32 pm

Looks tasty Jarren. When do you fit it? If it works out well will be interested where you got it done and cost.

Cheers,
Shaheenis
A few sensible mods and tuned by Matt (Kido).
Link to Member Profile
Link to photos of both wagons and intro page
Shaheenis

Car: Pearl White MY07 GTB Wagon 6MT

Previous

Return to 2.5T engine specific