Sunroof repairs Gen4 Heritage MY08

Ask for help with doing something on your car here.

Sunroof repairs Gen4 Heritage MY08

Postby soupy » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:17 pm

g'day its my first time posting and this is probably the only place that I could find help. Bought a my08 liberty as my first car so I'm a beginner with everything to do with subi's or cars in general so go easy on me, My sunroof had problems when I first looked at it before buying it and didn't think too much of it because the bloke said he only just got it and will try to fix it but it's very temperamental when closing and would try to close but fall back down and I'd have to give it 3 or 4 tries till it starts moving in small increments and would close after 5 clicks and now that I've been doing research and having a close look, the front windbreaker part of the sunroof has no functionality and wont adjust upwards at all when opening the sunroof and is what I think is causing the trouble with closing. I could tell that there was a stage in the process that the windbreaker would pop up but it feels like a mechanical problem and I'm scared to break it but forcing it upwards by hand. I can provide more details later to keep this short and sweet but any suggestions would be mint :D
soupy

Car: Liberty MY08 2.5 Heritage Wagon

Re: Sunroof repairs Gen4 Heritage MY08

Postby bigBADbenny » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:52 pm

If you can crank it fully shut with an Allen key, the motor may be at issue.
If not you need to make note of which part is binding or broken in the mech.
Eg on a wag the blind pushers may pop out jamming the mech assy and or small parts may fail.
The latter case may require dropping the headliner and replacing the cassette with one from a wreck.

Mine has motor brush issues, I’ll try replace the brushes just for fun.

https://www.google.com.au/search?biw=56 ... GY%2F1w%3D

bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby soupy » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:50 pm

Thanks mate, the left blind pusher has completely snapped and wasn't connected to anything so I pulled it off in case it was obstructing something but hasn't changed anything, how do I access the allen key for the motor? Like I said I'm really new to cars, I'm a computer nerd so not too bad with wiring but just which one is which and how to get to them in a car is all.
soupy

Car: Liberty MY08 2.5 Heritage Wagon

Postby bigBADbenny » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:30 pm

Is the car a wagon or sedan?
On a wagon there's a small cap in the headliner rearward of the sunroof, remove it and crank the motor with a 4 or 5mm allen key...
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Return to How do I?