recent 3.0r-b purchase, some EZ30r Oddities.

Posts specific to the 3.0 litre NA H6 engine

recent 3.0r-b purchase, some EZ30r Oddities.

Postby jimmyP » Sat May 27, 2017 11:16 pm

Hi all. I now own an MY08 3.0r-b, with 110k on the clock. Which compliments an older 3.0r outback with 250k, so i have some point of reference I guess, and i've noticed a few symptoms on the new car..

1. Cold starts after storage.. Whenever I leave it in the garage for a week + , and then start it, it runs on 5cyl for the first 10s to 20s - definatly a complete cylinder out, no mistaking the rocking vibration.. question is why, and if this is at all common.. whilst I don't think we've ever left the poor outback out of action for a week, I don't think it's ever shown this symptom!)

Thing is it never does it below a week in storage - leave it for a couple of days, no problem.. That said, any true cold start seems a bit rough compared to the outback i.e a few random misses can be felt, initially.

2. slight hesitation off idle - Now this is a 6MT, so I don't really have any comparison here as the outback is auto, but it always feels a bit strange off idle - can make transition from overrun to acceleration at low speeds a bit jerky - sometimes abormally so, ditto taking off slowly, as the hesitation can give the effect you've let the clutch out to quickly.. This doesn't occur all the time, maybe 50/50.. I know this sounds like nit picking the way i've described it, but it does make it a bit of a chore to drive smoothly in traffic

Anyway just fishing for ideas, see if any of these things are known traits. Everything else spot on - oil and coolant levels haven't dropped in the 3000k i've put on it so far. warm running Idle and accel is perfect bar that hesitation off-idle.

One other thing I did notice is that lifter clattering at idle seems a bit more pronounced than the outback - even with though the later has so many Ks on it. - It seems like a single lifter making more noise than others.. perhaps this is a clue to problem #1.
jimmyP

Car: 04 Outbck H6

Re: recent 3.0r-b purchase, some EZ30r Oddities.

Postby bigBADbenny » Sun May 28, 2017 10:05 pm

Log it with tactrix or btssm for misfires alvs or avcs etc... :)
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby jimmyP » Mon May 29, 2017 12:01 am

Thanks for advice.. I've been keen to get something decent ODBII wise, ( I have a cheap aliexpress ELM job, but I don't even want to plug it into this car tbh) , so good to know there's a couple of options, but which one is better! , price is basically identical.
jimmyP

Postby bigBADbenny » Mon May 29, 2017 4:37 am

viewtopic.php?f=56&t=20196&start=0

Or use google to search the site eg

"site: www.forum.liberty.asn.au keyword of interest"
bigBADbenny

Postby Rustedhentai » Mon May 29, 2017 11:18 am

Hey

Had the same Doggyness and having to ride the clutch in traffic etc in my 3.0 r-b

A kido tune fixed that up. Completely different car to drive now. Don't know if it is the Drive by wire accelerator or the fuel trims at idle.

Mine will happily coast around in traffic in 2nd without feeling like it is going to stall like it used to.

Accidently went round a roundabout in 5th the other day. Felt fine :P
Rustedhentai

Car: 2006 liberty 3.0r b-spec

Postby bigBADbenny » Mon May 29, 2017 11:55 am

I guess cleaning the maf (as per the FAQ) is a good idea too, reseat the oring properly and reset the ecu after...
bigBADbenny

Postby jimmyP » Mon May 29, 2017 9:53 pm

thanks guys. Will have a read of the FAQ, and go from there.
jimmyP

Postby bigBADbenny » Tue May 30, 2017 10:39 am

It's more 2.5t specific, but the generalities are relevant to your cause :)
bigBADbenny

Postby jimmyP » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:33 pm

Hey guys, had to dig this up again - Everything had been going OK.. still the same symptoms, but things turned bad in the last few days.

Driving home tonight, below 2000RPM, was getting really rough running, and one stall when lifting off throttle.

hooked up BT ODB scanner, finally got a code: P0021 "A" Camshaft position - Timing - over advanced or System Performance (Bank)

funny thing is , don't seem to be getting a persistent CEL.

Any ideas in conjunction with symptoms?
jimmyP

Postby bigBADbenny » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:07 am

I’m not that familiar with 3L but log the alvs angles.
You’ll need Btssm or rom raider probably.
Research the forum:
https://www.google.com.au/search?biw=32 ... vhQG54I%3D

bigBADbenny

Postby jimmyP » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:00 pm

Thanks again BB . Given the code it threw I ended up just taking the two AVCS / oil flow solenoids out. Cleaned with brake cleaner, + ultrasonic. slowly opened with benchtop supply( to clean in open position) , submersed in a bath of oil, and operated again.

Noticed the pass side solenoid/valve stuck / paused a little even after cleaning when returning to rest. whereas the other was very smooth.

I'm guessing this may have been the issue.. and must have been much worse prior to cleaning as after putting them all back, and resetting codes, it was literally like a new car. It must have been getting worse steadily and didn't realize how bad it was -( Well I did notice it was getting progressivly more pig-like to drive gently before the major issues lastnight). despite it binding a little on bench, It's Probably not doing it under PWM drive at the moment, but I will order a replacement for that one anyway as it will probbaly crap out again. 8)
jimmyP

Postby bigBADbenny » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:58 am

Awesome! :good:
bigBADbenny

Return to 3.0R & 3.6R engine specific