Clutch replacement recommendations for MY07GTB

Posts specific to the 2.5 litre turbo engine

Re: Clutch replacement recommendations for MY07GTB

Postby tom_kauf » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:53 am

I only read this thread by chance 8). But yeah, that link above (especially my long post towards the end) pretty much sums up my experience with the Jim Berry clutch. It's great! And I'd actually be interested if Jim is still doing them - because he semi retired.

I was scared off Exedy by the very big reduction in quality that people reported years ago. But maybe that's been resolved now.

If you never launch the car hard from a start, with eg. LaunchControl as part of a tune, the stock clutch is probably more than fine around 200kW. I didn't have any issues with my stock one until I started doing hard launches.
[Stealth & Speed - Comfort & Practicality]: My 2008 MY09 GT SpecB Wagon - Manual 200,000km
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Car: 2008 Liberty GT SpecB Manual Wagon

Postby Shaheenis » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:03 pm

Just caught up replies thanks guys.

I will never go above 220kws atw in this car and although I rarely launch, occasionally I will.

Both Subaru workshops I have spoken to in QLD recommend an NPC for a HD. They are custom made use the Exedy plate and they upgrade the springs and material. I have a mate who has one in a MY08 STI impreza so I will take his for a drive. From the estimates it will cost me around $500 more for a NPC HD over OEM. About $300 more than a Exedy HD.
Shaheenis
A few sensible mods and tuned by Matt (Kido).
Link to Member Profile
Link to photos of both wagons and intro page
Shaheenis

Car: Pearl White MY07 GTB Wagon 6MT

Postby tom_kauf » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:23 pm

Ok, that sounds good! Similar to what Jim Berry does, except he modified a german Sachs plate.

And since they already upgrade the springs, you can probably ask for similar pedal pressure as stock (that's what I did), or higher if you prefer that. I enjoy having a HD clutch that feels stock when I'm in traffic, while still being able to handle launches.
[Stealth & Speed - Comfort & Practicality]: My 2008 MY09 GT SpecB Wagon - Manual 200,000km
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Postby cynner » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:20 pm

Just to throw another option in there... I've just put a Mantic Stage 2 clutch in mine (after some convincing from people on the club.liberty Facebook page).

Thoughts on it so far - shudder in 1st gear (apparently it might take 500km or so to bed in). Almost thinking I should have gone stage 1 for something softer, but I had been told the power my car was putting out would be about the limit for the stage 1, and the stage 2 would be a bit more heavy duty (a step up from Exedy HD with similar pedal feel I believe).
cynner

Car: MY08 GT Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=23586

Postby Shaheenis » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:05 pm

Well I ended up with a Exedy HD - by accident. In the end I actually decided on a standard clutch but the workshop stuffed up and fitted a Exedy HD which I didn't find out until the job was done. That was 3 weeks ago and I am used to it now but all I can say is it is heaps heavier than stock with very short pick-up and when I drove out of the workshop I hated it (and stalled it). Same material as OEM Exedy, just 40? pound more spring pressure = a lot. It is actually good to drive now but requires more control when balancing the clutch at take off and slow speeds - reversing hills etc. No shudder, noise or anything negative besides how heavy it is. On a positive note when it clamps that clutch aint slipping.
Shaheenis
Link to Member Profile
Shaheenis

Postby tom_kauf » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:42 pm

Oh ok :?. Hopefully you don't do much city driving.
What I don't understand is why clutch manufacturers still make the pedal pressure so heavy to seem 'sporty'. By changing the pivot point, they can easily get big increases I clamping force with no increase in pedal pressure. Jim Berry clutches are a good example - same pedal pressure as stock but a LOT more clamping force.

I do like a heavy pedal, just not when daily driving.
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Postby Shaheenis » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:27 pm

Tom, I also fit the Group-N gearbox mount at same time and no issues with NVH. I did notice some vibration through the clutch pedal and a couple of small noises which subsided so must have settled in.
Shaheenis
Link to Member Profile
Shaheenis

Postby tom_kauf » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:46 pm

Ok, sounds good Tim. I have the STi Trans Mount (in between stock and Group N). I loved it until the car was driven a lot in Brisbane (we're moving there next year). The roads there are so unbelievable smooth, that the slight transmission whine is really noticeable now. It was great for years in North QLD. I've ordered a new stock Trans Mount, and will see which one I prefer.
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Postby Lane » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:02 am

Being heavy duty they need a good thousand or two kilometres to bed in, it will get better and easier to drive as it beds and you get used to it.
Lane

Car: BMW 335i & RSV4 Factory

Postby vinshonz » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:44 pm

Shaheenis wrote:Well I ended up with a Exedy HD - by accident. In the end I actually decided on a standard clutch but the workshop stuffed up and fitted a Exedy HD which I didn't find out until the job was done. That was 3 weeks ago and I am used to it now but all I can say is it is heaps heavier than stock with very short pick-up and when I drove out of the workshop I hated it (and stalled it). Same material as OEM Exedy, just 40? pound more spring pressure = a lot. It is actually good to drive now but requires more control when balancing the clutch at take off and slow speeds - reversing hills etc. No shudder, noise or anything negative besides how heavy it is. On a positive note when it clamps that clutch aint slipping.

i just fitted Exedy HD - FJK-7737HD + FF03 lightened flywheel
gotta be honest my pedal didnt get much heavier, maybe 30% more heavy then my standard clutch
friction point is now very short like you described, but i got used it
2008 Liberty GT Tuned by STi 27 of 250 made
PnP VF52, AVO TBE into TCP-Ti Mufflers, AVO panel filter, Mishimoto TMIC, Turbosmart Kompact BOV, Kobe Silicone Intake + SFB, Kobe 340LPH pump,
Tuspeed 3Port, Exedy HD + lightened flywheel, some Whiteline bits & Corgiwerx bits, Zeitronix Flex Fuel Analyser Kit , e85/98 Flex fuel -Got it REX tuned

2007 WRX Tuned by STi 35 of 200 made
STi Spec C TMIC+ProcessWest splitter, AVO TBE, X3E Silicone Intake, APS CAI, TurboSmart Kompact, Walbro, GrimmSpeed 3 Port, DEFI gauges
TD05-18G 198.5kw on RTRs Dyno - SOLD
vinshonz

Car: 2008 Liberty GT TunedBySTi

Postby Shaheenis » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:28 pm

Yeah I am used to it now but 30% is a big increase. For a daily I still prefer the feel of the OEM clutch but getting used to it wasn't as big deal as I first thought. I am 500ks in.
Shaheenis
Link to Member Profile
Shaheenis

Previous

Return to 2.5T engine specific