PC-based diags on 08 TBSTI via ELM327...???

Tuning, diagnostics, ECUs and associated bits and bytes
Forum rules
Please respect copyright.
Do not post full copies of professionally tuned roms!

PC-based diags on 08 TBSTI via ELM327...???

Postby TBSTI-Wagon » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:59 am

I'm after advice on suitable (if any) Windows-based SW to run diags on the TBSTI.

I used to have an AUII Falcon ute (5lt/5-speed) which I'd run diags on through a 32-bit VM (XP), using USB-passthru so that the SW ("Forscan") could access the ELM327 interface. I needed the VM, as the SW wouldn't work on 64-bit windows.

Anyway, I'd like to use the same setup (Win10 tablet/ELM327 device) to run diags on the TBSTI. I've seen references to people running different 'phone-based apps - which has a certain amount of appeal - but for the moment, I'd be happy just to D/L the appropriate Windows SW, load it up, and see what's what with the car. (Note that there isn't anything wrong with it that I'm aware of...just want to see if there are any residual codes stored...)

Thanks in advance.

*EDIT* Looks like a product called FreeSSM may do the job. I've downloaded that, and will test a bit later...
TBSTI-Wagon

Car: 2008 Liberty Wagon GT Spec B TBSTI

Re: PC-based diags on 08 TBSTI via ELM327...???

Postby Surge » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:04 am

FreeSSM would be the way to go for sure.
You can also read codes from the transmission as well if Auto.
Surge

Car: 2010 lib GT 5eat

Postby tom_kauf » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:07 pm

I've used FreeSSM, and it does all sorts of Transmission ddiags etc. But I didn't see much engine info. Romraider is the best program I've found for Engine Info eg Learning View (Knock Tables and IAM).
[Stealth & Speed - Comfort & Practicality]: My 2008 MY09 GT SpecB Wagon - Manual 200,000km
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Car: 2008 Liberty GT SpecB Manual Wagon

Postby TBSTI-Wagon » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:14 pm

Just following up the thread, I ran up FreeSSM on my laptop (Win7/64-bit), and hooked up the ELM327 scan tool to the car. FreeSSM, couldn't communicate with the car, for some reason, so I then ran up my trusty 32-bit WinXP virtual on the same laptop, enabled USB pass-through, and flashed up FreeSSM again. Tested Comm port 4 (which the scan tool is on), and it failed. Naturally, trying to communicate with either engine or trans ECUs also failed.

I then tried another tool (FreeODBII or some such thing. It will get through basic testing - checking the ports, opening the link etc. but then fails to communicate with the car. That might be the Subaru speaking some proprietary "language", but I'd think it would at least get some way to establishing comms with the ECU.

Has anyone else had issues getting FreeSSM to connect properly with their car? I have some screen shots of the errors I've been getting, but will probably have to dump them somewhere so I can link to them here...

My set up/s:

1) 2nd-gen i7-based Dell laptop, 16Gb RAM etc. Win7 Ultimate 64-bit. Running FreeSSM natively fails to communicate.
2) Virtualbox-hosted 32-bit XP Pro (on same Dell hardware) also fails to communicate. USB pass-through enabled/comm port and scan tool recognised in device manager.
3) Standard USB ELM327 scan tool (as found on eBay). Note: This same rig has been used in the past to diagnose/run tests on an AU Falcon, so it does work.
TBSTI-Wagon

Car: 2008 Liberty Wagon GT Spec B TBSTI

Return to Tuning