MY06 - Turbo Upgrade Revision 2 / Take 2

Posts specific to the 2.0 litre Turbo engine

MY06 - Turbo Upgrade Revision 2 / Take 2

Postby -=HaZ=- » Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:04 pm

Hi Guys,

Its been a long time since I have posted.

My car is a 2005 MY06 Liberty GT Tuned by STi Auto with the VF38 - Preface Lift

Quite a few years ago the VF38 died and had GCG Turbo recore and machine out the VF38 housing to accept a VF34 core. I have been reasonably happy with the results the car making around 180awKW. So that was what I considered Revision 1 upgrade, considering the constraints around the preface lift autos.

The car has had custom CES Dump Pipe/ Exhaust; Tomei Spec C Twin Scroll Headers(reduced down inlets to fit VF38 flange), and an MRT Cross Flow intercooler; ultimately the turbo is the restriction as shown on the dyno.

Lately I have been tracking an oil leak and it appears its the turbo; whilst I could probably have it refurbished again the turbo has to come out regardless so I would rather replace it with an upgraded unit.

I am prepared to redo the dump pipe and also the headers (they are already aftermarket). I have looked at aftermarket options, including IHI VF36/VF42 turbos and I have a concern about the orientation of the compressor charge outlet. On the VF38 the compressor charge outlet and the turbine exhaust inlet is facing north/south; the compressor charge outlet flows north to the MRT intercooler.

On all the aftermarket turbo pictures I have seen online including the VF36 the Compressor Charge flows East; which doesn't align with the MRT intercooler. I realise you can probably rotate the compressor housing so that the compressor charge outlet points up, but I am concerned the wastegate actuator will foul or may not line up wiht the turbine exhaust housing? The wastegate actuator has to attach to the turbo somehow and line up.

Can anyone provide some advice on this please? Has anyone fitted a VF36/VF42 before to an Auto Preface Lift? As I indicated I am not concerned about recutting and doing the dump pipes or the headers; just need to understand which turbo is most suitable regarding fitment and how to do it.

I have been looking at the Blouch Dominator XTR 1.5 Twin Scroll but I get the impression they are really designed for Post Facelift Legacy GT's not the JDM Spec Liberty's so am excluding this as an option??

I have included a picture of a turbo to assist.

Thanks,

Enver
Attachments
turbochr.gif
turbochr.gif (26.34 KiB) Viewed 5497 times
-=HaZ=-

Car: MY06 Liberty GT Tuned by STi

Re: MY06 - Turbo Upgrade Revision 2 / Take 2

Postby -=HaZ=- » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:18 pm

So I found this.....looks like the correct orientation(turbo compressor charge outlet is pointing up) and is twin scroll.....BUT I think its too large for the EJ20Y.

https://www.tomiokaracing.com/products/ ... eza-legacy
-=HaZ=-

Postby Hankous247 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:11 pm

Pmd
Hankous247

Car: 2004 Liberty Gt

Postby jslayz » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:57 pm

Perhaps a
Version 2 GTX2860 + change uppipe?
Process west hose to connect to intercooler (if it's the one I have in mind)
CURRENT - ATP GTX 3576 - 22psi - 283.7awkw
OLD - Dom 1.5Xtr - Last dyno 254ahkw, previous 238ahkw, first 224awkw.
My journey thread: http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15523
My Lib Pics here: http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15523&start=570#p370656
jslayz

Car: 2005 Liberty GT Wagon

Postby -=HaZ=- » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:26 am

Hi Guys,

I contacted Mark from GT Pumps who over a series of phone calls and emails has created a 'custom' TD05H-2010ET Twin Scroll 10cm^2 turbo.

See the picture below, it is both a beautiful and rare thing. During the course of this investigation we found that nobody makes the Twin Scroll exhaust housing anymore.

GT Pumps in the past was able to supply custom made Twin Scroll turbos, however both Mark and myself discovered there are no suppliers who makes the Twin Scroll housings anymore. :cry:

Through sheer determination I found a supplier online who still can supply the Twin Scroll Spec C housing for a TD05H turbo.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MAMBA-Turbo- ... 2643956527

i would hurry there are only two left!!

I will post dyno figures once the up-pipe and dump pipe have been redone and I have larger side-feed injectors to replace the stock ones.
Attachments
image[1].png
image[1].png (252.09 KiB) Viewed 5261 times
-=HaZ=-

Postby stocko » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:38 am

That's stunning how much did you pay for that if you don't mind me asking
stocko

Postby -=HaZ=- » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:53 pm

stocko wrote:That's stunning how much did you pay for that if you don't mind me asking

GT Pumps originally quoted $1850 for the complete turbo, however when it was discovered we could not source a Twin Scroll housing in Australia I suggested find an alternative supplier.

In the end I paid $1650 for turbo including TurboSmart wastegate minus exhaust housing + $300 for Twin Scroll Spec(eBay) exhaust housing. All up the turbo you see pictured cost me $1950.
-=HaZ=-

Return to 2.0T engine specific