Looking to buy a HID kit?

Ask for help with doing something on your car here.

Looking to buy a HID kit?

Postby ngent45 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:06 pm

Hello, I am looking at upgrading my headlights/fog lights for my gen 4 2004 2.5i sedan. I was keen on buying a new set of halogen headlights/fog/parkers but have been doing research and have read that a HID kit is much better. How do i go about this?
ngent45

Car: 2004 Subaru Liberty 2.5 Premium Pack

Re: Looking to buy a HID kit?

Postby Surge » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:17 pm

I know for the headlights it's almost plug and play.

Other than cutting a hole in the back cover.

I'd say you should look at an LED option rather than HID.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.p ... 41927.html
Surge

Car: 2010 lib GT 5eat

Postby RX25SE » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:57 pm

I have factory HIDs in my SpecB and to be honest, I don't think much of them. My old Commodore with a quality set of globes gave better light out on the highway.
As above, if I were you I'd be trying a set of LEDs or good quality halogen globes (nothing with a blue tint) before going down the HID road.

I'm toying with the idea of some LED globes for the high beams to improve the highway lighting. All the 4WD blokes I talk to belive they are the best option.
RX25SE

Car: MY07 30RB 6sp Wag

Postby ngent45 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:13 pm

RX25SE wrote:I have factory HIDs in my SpecB and to be honest, I don't think much of them. My old Commodore with a quality set of globes gave better light out on the highway.
As above, if I were you I'd be trying a set of LEDs or good quality halogen globes (nothing with a blue tint) before going down the HID road.

I'm toying with the idea of some LED globes for the high beams to improve the highway lighting. All the 4WD blokes I talk to belive they are the best option.

Thanks a lot for your input, much appreciated!
In terms of good quality halogen globes, are there any you could recommend? I was considering Phillips crystal or diamond vision but haven't read the best things about them. I'm after more of a white light rather than the stock yellow looking colour.

Secondly, to go with LED globes, I'd have to buy an LED globe conversion kit yeah?
ngent45

Car: 2004 Subaru Liberty 2.5 Premium Pack

Postby RX25SE » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:43 pm

If I remember I used Phillips +50% or +80% in the Commodore. One reason I think it was good a night is its a better design of headlight, after all it was designed for our type of roads.
As far as I know, yes you will need a LED kit.
RX25SE

Postby fedaykin » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:00 pm

lmao LED kits bahaha. The "4WD blokes" seem to have the same mindset as the brodozers in USA it seems.

H11 standard vs. 3,000lm LED

In fogs

HID kit will have a fuckton of foreground and glare above cutoff (depends how bad your outer lenses are hazed). Also it's illegal so don't have a whinge if you get defected, especially if you go beyond 5,000 K. Oh yeah, it'll also destroy your halogen projector over time. You know those cars you see on the road with badly glaring, blue/purple headlights that burns your retinas? Don't be one of them.

Best bet is Osram Rallye 65W (which is a H7 with H9 burner), but they're no longer made.
http://store.candlepower.com/osraulhiouh7.html

I recommend Night Breaker Unlimited (I've used these a few times). Narva has those bulbs rebranded as Blue plus whatever at double the price.
https://www.powerbulbs.com/au/product/n ... in-blister
https://www.powerbulbs.com/au/product/n ... limited-h7

Osram recently released a "Night Breaker Laser".
https://www.powerbulbs.com/au/product/o ... er-h7-twin

Philips also has X-Treme Vision and a new Racing vision.
https://www.powerbulbs.com/au/product/p ... 30-h7-twin
https://www.powerbulbs.com/au/product/p ... on-h7-twin

All of these bulbs "plus >100%" above have increased output at the expense of life, so expect them to die quicker than standard H7s.

Any bulb that's blue tinted is dimmer than standard, including Philips Crystal/Diamond vision (they're shit).

Most importantly, make sure your outer lenses are clear (do a headlight restoration on them if necessary). Any hazing/yellowing decreases output a lot. Make sure the contacts on the plugs are clean, the wiring quality should be good on your car as it's not that old (if in doubt, you can run a relay kit). Voltage drop through the wiring/plugs = dimmer bulbs. Also make sure the lights are aimed properly.

Remember, bright foreground = bad.
fedaykin

Car: MY10 GT Wagon 6MT

Postby SIMBAT » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:50 pm

that looks like a poverty spec dim ass chinese ebay led kit!
3000lm led you say? the led in my dunny looks brighter than that photo.

Don't worry about HID, don't worry about defects etc. your car has projectors so cops won't hassle you as there are liberty with hid from the factory,

Just go to your local autobarn store. they will definitely have a quality led conversion kit that are easy to install plug and play, i have bought some recently and they are a shit load brighter then the brightest halogen option. high quality cree led with aluminium heat soak cowl. They are awesome kits but be expected to pay around $300 but its worth it incase there is anything faulty because you'll have your receipt,otherwise buying online can be a risk.

they will have a few options for led parkers. i recommend the osram branded led t10 globe. don't bother with led globes for your fog lights though. just get brightest halogens then put yellow tint on the fog lenses ;)
my12 VW Tiguan TDI-tuned
my16 Hyper Blue WRX STI
my16 Honda Jazz VTI
SIMBAT

Postby RX25SE » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:31 am

SIMBAT wrote:that looks like a poverty spec dim ass chinese ebay led kit!
Don't worry about HID, don't worry about defects etc. your car has projectors so cops won't hassle you as there are liberty with hid from the factory,

Any car fitted with HIDs must have a headlamp self leveling system and a headlamp wash system, it's an ADR requirement.

The cops could nail you on HIDs if they decided to.
RX25SE

Postby SIMBAT » Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:18 pm

RX25SE wrote:
SIMBAT wrote:that looks like a poverty spec dim ass chinese ebay led kit!

Any car fitted with HIDs must have a headlamp self leveling system and a headlamp wash system, it's an ADR requirement.

The cops could nail you on HIDs if they decided to.

Lol they won't "nail" you. at worst you'll have to pop back in the halogens. If your unlucky and do get put through a strict inspection they would pick it up. but that would only happen if your car has other obvious illegal mods like loud exhaust, ride height and rim offset. Another reason why led is better than hid because its easy to revert back to stock so you already know the risk.

But No cop will specifically pull you up or even thing twice about your headlight legality on a normal pull over for speeding or breath test. as long as your car is post 2000 and has projector style headlights.
Unless you've failed to have them properly aligned and they are badly dazzling on coming drivers you them to notice.
my12 VW Tiguan TDI-tuned
my16 Hyper Blue WRX STI
my16 Honda Jazz VTI
SIMBAT

Postby jp928 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:55 pm

Its not actually HIDs that need levelling and washer, its any lights over 2000lumen. I heard of one guy in Qld who fitted HIDs, and got done the very first night he drove it!

jp 08 gtb 6mt wagon.
jp928

Car: 08 gtb 6mt wagon

Return to How do I?