Keen
100%
Not Keen
No votes

Total votes : 13

Kobe - Twin Scroll Dump/Down Pipe Auto

Postby jacks-GTB » Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:01 pm

Hey Guys,

So I'm in the process of developing a twin scroll dump pipe for the MY03-MY06 2.0L GT Auto model. Coming to the party late...haha

The reason why I am doing this, because I have a lot of inquiries for them and sadly have to refer them to companies who quality is not that great. (except phat dump, who doesn't make them anymore)

Im trying to get feedback to see who keen to see this happen...I'm making a poll to see if its worth getting them made...

Im also happy to get feedback on design...

This is a prototype of what we have...Its very ruff but i'm hoping to have a cast collector...and have V-Band so its in 2 pieces...

jacks-GTB

Car: 2007 Subaru Liberty GT Spec B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16629

Re: Kobe - Twin Scroll Dump/Down Pipe Auto

Postby Adrian2627 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:17 pm

The VF38 on the auto, not sure about the TD04HLA, doesn't have any seperation between the turbine gasses and the wastegate gasses like the STi turbos do. It would be nice to have a guide plate that extends in to the housing to seperate the outflowing gasses and prevent turbulence caused by them mixing in the housing. It's a minor addition but a nice detail people would appreciate.
Adrian2627

Car: BP5F (MY09) Legacy 2.0 GT Spec B

Postby jacks-GTB » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:25 pm

Adrian2627 wrote:The VF38 on the auto, not sure about the TD04HLA, doesn't have any seperation between the turbine gasses and the wastegate gasses like the STi turbos do. It would be nice to have a guide plate that extends in to the housing to seperate the outflowing gasses and prevent turbulence caused by them mixing in the housing. It's a minor addition but a nice detail people would appreciate.

Awesome....love it...thanks for the feedback 8)
jacks-GTB

Postby Whacky_ricer » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:08 pm

Im in the market for a dump pipe to suit pre facelift 2.0T with 5 speed manual, not really happy with any of the off shelf offerings I've seen. Would this dump suit that, or would it need to be a different part to suit the manual? Also, agree with the comments re splitter plate.
Whacky_ricer

Car: 2005 Subaru Liberty GT (Sedan, 5MT)

Postby Whacky_ricer » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:15 pm

Also, might be worth looking to see if a flex joint is needed, AVO claim that omitting it can crack welds. Maintaining the factory 02 bung locations would also be a plus.
Whacky_ricer

Postby Whacky_ricer » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:17 pm

Also, what did you have planned for CAT?
Whacky_ricer

Postby jacks-GTB » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:46 pm

Thanks for your input :) I want to flex joint.. I just hate the look of them..the Invidia systems don't run one...I want our dumps to be pretty tuff...might use thicker wall thickness

In regards to manual models..before I send the prototype to get manufactured, I'm hoping to get a manual pre-faced to test on as well...
jacks-GTB

Postby Adrian2627 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:04 pm

Whacky_ricer wrote:Also, might be worth looking to see if a flex joint is needed, AVO claim that omitting it can crack welds. Maintaining the factory 02 bung locations would also be a plus.

None of the JDM ones I've seen here have flex joints in them but for the sake of longevity it wouldn't be a bad idea. A secondary threaded bung with a screw in plug would be another nice detail touch. That would allow people to easily add a wide band O2 sensor.

I'd be keen but I have to find out what the difference, if any, is between the VF38 and VF44 housing flanges. I've been after a dump for ages for my Legacy but the JDM ones start at $1500 and they don't pop up on Yahoo auctions too often. When they do bid prices go up pretty quickly to the point you may as well buy a new one. Asked about getting one built and they started at $2k.
Adrian2627

Postby spool. » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:58 pm

Adrian2627 wrote:The VF38 on the auto, not sure about the TD04HLA, doesn't have any seperation between the turbine gasses and the wastegate gasses like the STi turbos do. It would be nice to have a guide plate that extends in to the housing to seperate the outflowing gasses and prevent turbulence caused by them mixing in the housing. It's a minor addition but a nice detail people would appreciate.

The TD04HLA has a limited separator so would still require a plate, The VF38/TD04HLA share the same dump flange.

the collector looks good! Whats the clearance of the steering knuckle like?
spool.

Car: 2005 Liberty GT

Postby stocko » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:18 pm

I'd be super keen for this been chasing a dump for a while. I've got a manual gt so super keen
stocko

Postby Adrian2627 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:48 pm

spool. wrote:

The TD04HLA has a limited separator so would still require a plate, The VF38/TD04HLA share the same dump flange.

the collector looks good! Whats the clearance of the steering knuckle like?

My car s a JDM post facelift Legacy so still twin scroll but a VF44 instead of the VF38. I think the flanges are still the same. Here in Japan there is a difference in the dump pipes between pre and post facelift but no one can tell me what it is. The obvious one is the price, pre facelift about $800 for a new HKS but $1500 for post, but I'd need two side by side to see the actual difference.
Adrian2627

Postby Whacky_ricer » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:52 pm

Adrian2627, who can you buy the prefl HKS downpipe from?
Whacky_ricer

Postby Adrian2627 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:12 am

Whacky_ricer wrote:Adrian2627, who can you buy the prefl HKS downpipe from?

Can usually find new ones on Yahoo Auctions other than that try Jesse Streeter. I leave Japan in two days so I'm out of the picture.
Adrian2627

Postby stocko » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:31 am

What's happening with these
stocko

Postby HardwareBoB » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:55 pm

VF44/45/38/TD04HLA are all the same up/down flange.

Using a V band clamp is a good idea - allows you to do post/preface with one pipe, just different heads. I am not sure why there's a differentiation between auto/manual - I would think that the auto pipe should fit both? (but i'm not certain).

FWIW this is the dump on my car when I had the 5MT.

I'm using the same front section now, but I had to cut and shut the actual 'dump' section of the dump, because the JDM STi twin scroll headers cant the turbo back about 10 degrees.
HardwareBoB

Car: MY05 GT 5MT Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=27514

Next

Return to 2.0T engine specific