Member Profile - Lorby's liberty

Show off what mods you've done to your car.

Re: Member Profile - Lorby's liberty

Postby lorby » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:09 pm

In relation to the miss?
I've got a vagcom reader that will hopefully be compatible with the right driver (provided I bought the right eBay one), I'm still yet to set it up, id better get on it.
lorby

Car: MY05 3.0R-b

Postby bigBADbenny » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:10 am

Grouse, I guess romeaider for pc and btssm for android is your aim :)
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby lorby » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:53 am

Yep, going to give romraider a shot. Just finally opened my VAGcom cable then and it's a ch340 chip :(. Damn! Ordered another that specifically states an FT232BL chip so hopefully will get it sorted. Just have to wait ages for it to arrive!
lorby

Postby lorby » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:07 pm

Got the exhaust work done today. Raptor headers fitted, new high flow cats and an upgraded Y pipe.

Sounds like a POS commodore now, awesome....

I asked about getting a mid muffler installed in place of the resonator that xforce supplied. Afterwards I was told it would have had quite an odd shaped oem muffler there and they left it as is. I don't recall clearly but I thought it was a decent sized, basic, oval muffler. Has anyone had much luck with mid muffler installation, in my experience the resonators don't do much. And this thing is pretty much unbearably loud and sounds like arse.

Oddly enough also, no cel for the rear o2 sensors? No idea what's going on there.
lorby

Postby bigBADbenny » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:41 pm

Look at bestmufflers.com.au for some choices.
In descending order of loud your choices are generally straight through/turbo, baffled and chambered...
My GT has a baffled or chambered mid... bc wagon...
bigBADbenny

Postby dan_ashcroft » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:49 pm

I've got a mid muffler.

Raptor headers > 2.5" 200 cell magnaflow cats > 2.5" y > 2.5" magnaflow mid muffler > single ultrex 2.5" rear muffler. (NB all stainless)

Mine did sound terrible to start off (v6 commodore is exactly how I described it to my exhaust guy), but it settled down after a while. Sounds very nice now. I couldn't imagine not having a mid muffler, would be way too much noise. I could be happier if it was slightly quieter.

No CEL for me either, however had it tuned earlier by Kido which I think sets it up to avoid that. Also had it re-tuned fairly quickly afterwards.

PM sent.
Last edited by dan_ashcroft on Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dan_ashcroft

Car: MY06 3.0R-B on E85

Postby lorby » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:40 pm

Thanks for the advice guys, will definitely try and get the muffler fitted asap. It has settled down slightly but yes, definitely sounds like a V6 commodore, which I hate
lorby

Postby lorby » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:03 pm

So... Found out why it sounds so much like a dirty commodore. I was stupid and thought maybe it was just this stuff settling in. It's actually leaking badly from both header gaskets to the Y pipe and leaking from both headers bolted to the head (one worse than the other). Can't believe I paid $1k for this shit and they didn't even leak test properly! And of course the shop is on a break for another few days so I'll have to fix it myself :(.

Found another place that is happy to fit a mid muffler for me too. There isn't heaps of room but it's definitely doable.
lorby

Postby dan_ashcroft » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:27 pm

lorby wrote:There isn't heaps of room but it's definitely doable.

I had the heat shield taken out to make a bit more room. Did mean to get the muffler ceramic coated to make up for it but never got around to it.
dan_ashcroft

Postby lorby » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:15 pm

Sounds like a good idea, maybe I could even just get some reflective heat tape and stick it to the body above, would take up a lot less room than the shield. Cheers.

These are the gaskets, apparently $1k didn't cover the torquing fee :/. I've redone all the gaskets with hi temp silicon (copper permatex) and torqued up tight, will see how they go tomorrow. The flanges looked fine to me and a set square didn't show any irregularities in the surface, looks like the exhaust shop just dropped the ball a second time. The raptor headers look excellent and the flanges are stainless so I have faith in the hardware.

Redid the headights with a lot of sanding effort and some new UV clear over the top, happy with them now

lorby

Postby bigBADbenny » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:28 pm

Grouse :)
Did you apply the uv coat on the polished lens... or with a key eg at 1000 -2000 grit or even less?
I applied mine on the polished lenses and noticed some flaking of the coat, albeit minor flaking on a single uv coat, months later. Tempted to redo it on a keyed surface ie still somewhat dull... and of course at least 2- 3 coats...

Zorst leaks can be a bane, in my research I found locking fasteners I'd be tempted to try when the time comes. ;)
Turbo specific kit just one of the applications :)
http://store.stage8.com/p/3990-subaru-t ... kit?pp=24#
bigBADbenny

Postby lorby » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:07 am

Hi mate, this particular kit had the coating applied straight onto the 3000grit sanded lens, so hopefully should stay pretty stuck :)

Those locking bolts are cool, pretty exxy though! will see how they go now that I've put them on properly. Can't trust anyone else :(
lorby

Postby bigBADbenny » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:50 am

Thanks for the info...
bigBADbenny

Postby dan_ashcroft » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:01 pm

lorby wrote:Sounds like a good idea, maybe I could even just get some reflective heat tape and stick it to the body above, would take up a lot less room than the shield. Cheers.

The only problem with tape or insulation on the underbody is that you can get moisture trapped in there and increase the chance of rust. Is there any dynamat type stuff that can be placed in-cabin that also offers some heat insulation?

I need to do my headlights, what kit did you use?
dan_ashcroft

Postby lorby » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:02 pm

That's a good point, I might try putting some por15 or other sealer paint before putting it on, should make it pretty sealed, only doing this if I can't move or modify the heat shield enough as keeping it there is my preferred option. I used a kit from Autobarn, I don't have the box anymore but it was about $50, came with 400, 1000, 2000 and 3000 sandpaper a little bottle of cleaner solution a few different cloths and a bottle of UV sealant that you wipe on.

Have used some silicon on all the gaskets, a lot quieter but still not 100% sure that it's leak free as its so damn loud I can't tell! Every exhaust shop I go to is pretty useless so thinking about welding a muffler on myself if I can find one suitable to buy.

Got the car tuned by Matt on Thursday night while he's in Sydney. Cars a decent amount quicker with a few other pros. Including the brake booster being more active and the electronic throttle being a lot more responsive!

Got a new tyre fitted to a standard 17" wheel so I actually have a spare I'm game to use without stuffing the diff. It's the same 235/45R17 just fitted to a 7" wide wheel instead of 8. Bought the cheapest tyre possible as it's just for a spare, can't argue with $52 :P

Pretty self explanatory. Still have to fit the quarter window sticker too.

Spent a couple of hours on the fascia and trims in the car. Headunit couldnt lift it's screen out as it was getting stuck on the fascia. Ended up drilling the holes out to sit it further forward and higher up. Also had to move the 90 degree bends at the top to higher up, used a bit of foam to make sure it doesn't rub. The screen just touches the vinyl wrap now but I can live with that, as it now tilts correctly and I can change the CD. Also had some pretty bad rattles after taking the trim off last time, so I bought some new door/window sealer from bunnings that you tape on. This is more of a rubber than a foam so it holds really well and no more rattles! Very happy with it.
'

lorby

PreviousNext

Return to Post your mods