Upgrades for MY07 2.5 GTB Automatic

Posts specific to the 2.5 litre turbo engine

Upgrades for MY07 2.5 GTB Automatic

Postby tekno » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:54 pm

Looking for some advice from any auto owners who have upgraded their turbo/intake/exhaust and the effect it has on lag.

I've just gotten rid of a 2016 Focus 1.5 Ecoboost company car and that thing is on full boost almost immediately.
The new 2.5 GTB is a little slow to spool up. Loading up the torque converter helps for a decent launch but otherwise its lazy.

Before you say it, yes I have searched - would rather get a straight answer rather than trawl through pages and pages.
Sure the VF52 seems to be the weapon of choice but I don't wanna be waiting for it to wake up.
From what I already know, the silicon inlet helps the stock turbo, along with a TBE - I'd just like to know what other's experiences have been.

Thanks for your advice!
tekno

Re: Upgrades for MY07 2.5 GTB Automatic

Postby vinshonz » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:03 pm

hit up Kido for a tune

when i bought my car in October, it was very slow compared to my wrx

i got a tune right away (mechanically stock) it was night and day difference
stock tune ran 13.5psi, matt retuned it to 16psi

then the mod bug bites

3 months later, ive done all the bolt on mods lol. and 4 or 5 retunes
2008 Liberty GT Tuned by STi 27 of 250 made
PnP VF52, AVO TBE into TCP-Ti Mufflers, AVO panel filter, Mishimoto TMIC, Turbosmart Kompact BOV, Kobe Silicone Intake + SFB, Kobe 340LPH pump,
Tuspeed 3Port, Exedy HD + lightened flywheel, some Whiteline bits & Corgiwerx bits, Zeitronix Flex Fuel Analyser Kit , e85/98 Flex fuel -Got it REX tuned

2007 WRX Tuned by STi 35 of 200 made
STi Spec C TMIC+ProcessWest splitter, AVO TBE, X3E Silicone Intake, APS CAI, TurboSmart Kompact, Walbro, GrimmSpeed 3 Port, DEFI gauges
TD05-18G 198.5kw on RTRs Dyno - SOLD
vinshonz

Car: 2008 Liberty GT TunedBySTi

Postby tekno » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:59 am

Thanks for your advice Vinshonz

I'd be interested to know how the low end response changed when you fitted the VF52?
Also, at what stage did it become necessary to upgrade your fuel pump?

Cheers!
tekno

Postby Gtb08 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:22 am

tekno wrote:Thanks for your advice Vinshonz

I'd be interested to know how the low end response changed when you fitted the VF52?

Cheers!

i have almost the same mods as vinshonz - Yes there was a noticable Lag in the response after fitting the VF52 HOWEVER- if you got the bigger turbo before you did the Kido tune, you are unlikely to notice a diffrence at all - only improvement - only because there was such a drastic difference in response with the stock turbo due to the tune will you notice the lag in the VF52 after.
if you are set on the bigger turbo go all out and get the mods done and Kido tuned straight up - you will not notice any lag difference to what you have now - just dont mod without a tune
best bang for buck on the slow go is the Kido tune and a Dump pipe.
fuel pump upgrade isnt completely neccessary but a good supporting mod for future use - E.g bigger injectors and E85 use
as vinshonz warned - you will get the bug :lol:
enjoy your car :D
2008 OBP Liberty GT SpecB ATM - KOBE MSPORTS SILCONE INTAKE & MAF HOSES - TUSPEED 3-PORT BCS - AVO DUMP 160 CEL CAT - KIDO TUNED - ATM TRANS COOLER - KOBE MSPORTS BoV - KOBE FUEL PUMP - WG PORT N POLISHED VF52 TURBO - MISHIMOTO TB HOSE - GReddy DUAL CATCH CANS - CUSTOM REDBACK MUFFLERS - RED STITCHED LEATHER WRAPPED STEERING WHEEL - DBA T2 SLOTTED ROTORS - XYZ SS COILOVERS - CUSCO STRUT BRACE - quarter 13.42@100MPH
Gtb08

Car: 2008 GT-B Liberty Auto

Postby tekno » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:09 pm

Thanks Gtb08,

So the exhaust from the dump pipe back isn't too bad?

No fear of the bug - I have had bikes for years and they all eventually got modified!
tekno

Postby Surge » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:09 pm

The Y pipe section of the exhaust is apparently also not great.

So if your inclined to change the downpipe you might as well change the whole turbo back section if it's not blowing out the budget.
Surge

Car: 2010 lib GT 5eat

Postby Gtb08 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:22 pm

tekno wrote:

Thanks Gtb08,

So the exhaust from the dump pipe back isn't too bad?

No fear of the bug - I have had bikes for years and they all eventually got modified!

:lol: ...the dump is the most restrictive part in the system - I have not done the intermediate pipe purely to keep the noise down - don't think i am losing much there, not enough i would notice i dont think.
its been argued its good for 200kwatw but im not totally convinced seeing that given some recent dynos on the forums here have not supported that and most people would certainly do the exhaust with all other bolt-ons before opening up the engine to ensure this output any way.

Dump and tune is great money for gains - if you look around for a budget cat back as well it may be worth the money - KW to $$$ ratio is not the same in comparison.

if you want to do mufflers and you don't mind the extra sound of your daily then add in the intermediate y pipe as well. mine the wifes daily and tho it sounds soooo much better - unique even, it is not too loud. Give a bit and it growls just beautifully.
2008 OBP Liberty GT SpecB ATM - KOBE MSPORTS SILCONE INTAKE & MAF HOSES - TUSPEED 3-PORT BCS - AVO DUMP 160 CEL CAT - KIDO TUNED - ATM TRANS COOLER - KOBE MSPORTS BoV - KOBE FUEL PUMP - WG PORT N POLISHED VF52 TURBO - MISHIMOTO TB HOSE - GReddy DUAL CATCH CANS - CUSTOM REDBACK MUFFLERS - RED STITCHED LEATHER WRAPPED STEERING WHEEL - DBA T2 SLOTTED ROTORS - XYZ SS COILOVERS - CUSCO STRUT BRACE - quarter 13.42@100MPH
Gtb08

Postby vinshonz » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:13 pm

tekno wrote:Thanks for your advice Vinshonz

Cheers!

yes there is a little bit of more lag compare to vf46, but when it comes on boost its brings a smile to your face :D
i was told fuel pump good for 200kw, but why cheap out on safety and more headroom for future, so i went the bigger one 340LPH

and i agree with everything gt08 said :wink:
especially, dump & tune is best bang for buck if you dont want to spend alot to get good gains
PnP VF52, AVO TBE into TCP-Ti Mufflers, AVO panel filter, Mishimoto TMIC, Turbosmart Kompact BOV, Kobe Silicone Intake + SFB, Kobe 340LPH pump,
Tuspeed 3Port, Exedy HD + lightened flywheel, some Whiteline bits & Corgiwerx bits, Zeitronix Flex Fuel Analyser Kit , e85/98 Flex fuel -Got it REX tuned

STi Spec C TMIC+ProcessWest splitter, AVO TBE, X3E Silicone Intake, APS CAI, TurboSmart Kompact, Walbro, GrimmSpeed 3 Port, DEFI gauges
vinshonz

Postby tekno » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:52 am

Thanks for all the advice - I'd already committed to a TBE and tune but it's always good to touch base with the community
I might stick with the stock mufflers if they're OK though... I don't really want the noise for a daily commuter or attract any unwanted attention
tekno

Postby vinshonz » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:22 pm

tekno wrote:Thanks for all the advice - I'd already committed to a TBE and tune but it's always good to touch base with the community
I might stick with the stock mufflers if they're OK though... I don't really want the noise for a daily commuter or attract any unwanted attention

exactly why i got the AVO dump to Y piece with stock sti quaddies

vinshonz

Postby Kanter » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:28 pm

What are the cheap options for a down pipe? The invidia Aus spec seems like a good idea but is there anything cheaper than $850?
Kanter

Car: 07 Liberty GT Spec.B

Postby vinshonz » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:41 pm

Kanter wrote:What are the cheap options for a down pipe? The invidia Aus spec seems like a good idea but is there anything cheaper than $850?

cheapers ones are prob ULTREX and ebay ...

but know what they say, you get for what you pay for

vinshonz

Postby Gtb08 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:28 pm

vinshonz wrote:
Kanter wrote:What are the cheap options for a down pipe? The invidia Aus spec seems like a good idea but is there anything cheaper than $850?

cheapers ones are prob ULTREX and ebay ...

but know what they say, you get for what you pay for

I went with AVO for similar money. I bought the invidia but it didnt fit and the AVO has the split bellmouth too

The invidia is improved recently so should fit ok
Gtb08

Postby MadmanSean » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:11 pm

Call up Best Mufflers in NSW they stock Xforce Catback and Hurricane Dump's @ good prices - Best to call as there website doesn't always have everything :)
Subaru ECU Unbricking, Unlocking and Bench Flashing/Recovery service! Check out SICK CHIPS @ https://www.facebook.com/SickChips/
http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=35489
If you'd like to say thank you feel free to Buy me a coffee https://www.buymeacoffee.com/sickchips
MadmanSean

Car: 2007 Libert GT SpecB wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=33793

Postby Manaz » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:00 am

So, I have an MY09 GT Spec.B Auto with:

• Pierburg 3-port boost control solenoid
  • DW65c fuel pump (stock one was probably OK, but the upgrade gives headroom)
  • Kobe Motorsport silicon SFB * turbo intake
  • VF52 (ceramic coated hot-side)
  • Process West TMIC
  • Invidia 3" downpipe (ceramic coated) with 100cel cat
  • 3" TCP mid-pipe
  • Stock Mufflers (I had the TbSTI ones for a while, they were great, but the car was just a little too loud for my wife, who drives it daily).

The car is tuned by Matt (Kido Tune).

The estimated power at the wheels is 180+kW. The VF52 delays boost slightly, but means the turbo isn't running out of puff at the top end. Putting the silicon SFB+turbo intake brings boost on a little quicker, as does the 3-port boost control solenoid. A decent exhaust helps bring boost on sooner too (less restriction) It's still slower to boost than the VF46 with the same mods, but only by a few hundred RPM. And it pulls like a train to redline (the VF46 can't do that).

Generally (it's not a hard rule, but a reasonable sterotype) with turbos, if they have better top end, they bring boost on later. Your 1.5 Ecoboost Ford has 60% of the engine capacity and probably ran a tiny turbo for efficiency rather than outright power, so it would have boosted early but not developed a lot of power - not really a fair comparison (it also probably weighed a lot less than an automatic 4Gen Liberty too). If you want the car to spool earlier, a flex fuel sensor/tune can do wonders

If you're in Sydney, I can show you how the car goes. I can tell you I've done GPS certified 0-100km/h in 5.2 seconds with a weak launch off the loose gravel on the side of the M7...
Manaz

Car: MY09 Liberty GT Spec.B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=22465

Next

Return to 2.5T engine specific