Air Fuel ratio sensor HELP

Posts specific to the 2.0 litre Turbo engine

Air Fuel ratio sensor HELP

Postby Dyrraj » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:58 pm

First let me say sorry if this is in the wrong place im new here and really desperate.

SO on to my problem. I have a 2001 Liberty im trying to get a roady for (car runs fine.. just a stupid engine light issue, no other problems) basically ive had it in with my local Auto Electrician and he has basically come back and said its not an o2 sensor that he originally thought was the issue but its now the Air/Fuel Ratio Sensor that is either died or is playing up and needs replacement. (what is the difference between O2 and A/f ratio sensor??)

He has asked his parts supplier and they reckon they have a part to suit for 700$ FFS i think that is just absolutely completely outrageous now i dont have that kind of cash saved up for this and so my next line of action is to find more info about this kind of thing and if there is anyone who can help either source a part or tell me where to look. Has anyone else heard such prices for a small thing.. i know i can get O2 sensors for anywhere from 50-150$?

Ive had a look around on ebay and amazon although there is some Air/Fuel Ratios Sensor's there i cant find any through their little compatibility search things that match my year/make/model they seem to be only for models 2005 onwards

If it helps its a 2.0l twin turbo VIN: JF1BE5KD32G020970 Engine type: EJ208DWDBE

I'm running out of places to ask which is why i joined up here starting to stress and freak out cuz i really need this car to get from a to b for work as im currently loaning my old mans car and that cant last forever.

Any help or info is super appreciated.. hope to hear from you guy soon thanks.
Dyrraj

Car: 2001 Subaru Liberty

Re: Air Fuel ratio sensor HELP

Postby Surge » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:16 pm

I think they are referring to the MAF sensor.

Have you tried buying MAF cleaner from supercheap auto and just cleaning it?

It requires taking out 2 screws and there are videos online.

Then just disconnect your battery for a while and pump the brakes. Reconnect battery and see if the check engine light is off.

Also run some 98 octane fuel and replace the air filter before going to get the roadworthy.

If you need to replace the Maf sensor you can just lookup the part number on ebay and not pay anywhere close to $700.

Your fuel filter is probably in your engine bay, if so change it out as it's a quick Job and cheap to do. Ubless it's actually in the fuel tank which was on later models.
Surge

Car: 2010 lib GT 5eat

Postby Dyrraj » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:03 pm

Thanks man ill check that out tomorrow ill have to go visit the auto electrician as the vehicle is still at his workshop.He did seem quite certain it was the Air Fuel Ratio Sensor though and after reading around it seems that is just another bs name for the front O2 sensor.. so idk still confusing haha
Dyrraj

Postby Dyrraj » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:11 pm

I think alot of the confusion trying to search information about this model car is because in USA its called Legacy and AUS its called Liberty and the US model didnt seem to come with 2.0l tt engine it come in 2.5l N/a?? is that right or im making myself look like a wang lol
Dyrraj

Postby Surge » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:46 pm

There were 2 versions in both countries as far as I know.

Both turbo and NA.

In your search include GT, that way you only should get the turbo models.
Surge

Postby Dyrraj » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:27 am

So i spoke to the auto electrician again today and he checked the maf its not that so hes pretty certain it is the pre-cat air fuel ratio sensor. He told me the part is 22641-AA090 now ive read a few threads around here and people saying the universal ones are shit and they dont work to replace the front O2 sensor so need to use genuine or OEM parts. So i checked around on ebay and amazon and some other sites and to be honest i have no idea how to tell a genuine part from the dodgey chinese shit some of these guys are trying to hock at full price. Especially since the price ranges are so wide.. some are 150$ and the most expensive one ive found was on the supercheap site :angry2: 590$ lmao

Any tips on how to spot the real deal or anyone know certain ebay sellers that are legit?
Dyrraj

Postby Surge » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:07 am

If the part is branded denso and made in Japan/USA or maybe even Indonesia then it would probably be real.

Check if you can get one from bursons.
Surge

Postby Adrian2627 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:23 pm

Try Japan Parts. After a quick search of local Japanese suppliers it seeams OEM 22641-AA090s can be had for around AU$250 + postage. Because I'm in Japan I can't access Japan Parts site.
Adrian2627

Car: BP5F (MY09) Legacy 2.0 GT Spec B

Postby Adrian2627 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:25 pm

For ID your car is a BE5.
Adrian2627

Postby bigBADbenny » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:56 am

Put your vin into partsouq and browse your parts lists, you can also DIY the search on Opposed Forces site.
Partsouq is another affordable vendor, but either way, go genuine sensors :good:
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby Dyrraj » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:26 pm

Thanks for the help guys. Ended up getting the roady to pass it even with the ECL on while i get the part shipped from an ebay seller.

Problem i have that still remains now is trip meter and clock resetting every time car gets turned off/on and no sound from radio (idk if radio might be a different issue or tied in with the trip and clock resetting)

Auto sparky had to cut/disconnect the wire that lights the orange ring around the cluster sections (which sux cuz they look badass) like this pic i found on the net because for some reason they didnt turn off when the ignition was turned off and key was removed... they stayed on?? so they drained the battery supposedly cuz he had to chuck it on charge over the last few days

Auto sparky couldnt figure it out i guess.

So now i have no idea where to start to try diagnose or narrow down the source of the problem XD.

Cheers fellas.
Attachments
IMG_2343.jpg
IMG_2343.jpg (89.21 KiB) Viewed 4438 times
Dyrraj

Postby Surge » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:07 pm

Sounds like a short somewhere.

Or maybe the ground isn't connected to the stereo unit itself.
Surge

Postby Adrian2627 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:41 pm

Sounds like you need a new Auto Elec. Maybe one who's used to cars from this century.
Adrian2627

Return to 2.0T engine specific