Crazy condensation

Exhaust modifications

Crazy condensation

Postby 04GT.MN » Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:43 pm

Hey all
Recently installed cat back on my 04 liberty gt. Soon after I noticed much more 'smoke' out the back. I believe it's just condensation, looking at the tips when cold there are beads of water all on the inside along with black residue. Oil and coolant both look fine under the bonnet so no signs of Hg failure there to me.
I just wanted to know if other people notice more condensation after installing their exhausts? Particularly catless or larger diameter piping.
Mine is Avo downpipe with cat, and invidia catback. No other real modifications than that
Thanks in advance.
04 liberty gt. 171kw, at just under one bar, needs more! Avo dump & invidia catback. Dw65 & stock fuel system. Cxracing fmic (soon to be redone properly). Whiteline swaybars f&r. Whiteline Lca bushings. Whiteline front end links. Whiteline strut Tower brace. Kap occ
04GT.MN

Car: 04gt wagon

Re: Crazy condensation

Postby Jordan.k » Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:49 pm

Yea pretty normal, on cold days you'll get light clouds of smoke most likely condensation. ( Looks like your car is vaping :lol: )

Head gasket failure is usually thick clouds of smoke. I wouldn't worry about it
ARP 2000 Headstuds | VF43 | Norm butler exhaust |
196kw Atw tuned by Matt Mcleod
Jordan.k

Car: '06 wrx
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=30099

Postby 04GT.MN » Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:31 pm

Awesome thanks
What about at Wot. Or higher rpm /throttle? And after its at operating temp
https://youtu.be/OSrn-_PoRI8
This is warmed up and its a pretty cold day down here
04 liberty gt. 171kw, at just under one bar, needs more! Avo dump & invidia catback. Dw65 & stock fuel system. Cxracing fmic (soon to be redone properly). Whiteline swaybars f&r. Whiteline Lca bushings. Whiteline front end links. Whiteline strut Tower brace. Kap occ
04GT.MN

Postby fedaykin » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:42 pm

That looks bad lol
fedaykin

Car: MY10 GT Wagon 6MT

Postby 04GT.MN » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:04 pm

https://youtu.be/GHxVX_2eFpg
Not sure what to think I have this feeling not everyone's car smokes like mine- pack a day easy. Might have to get it looked at by someone who knows what they are doing
04GT.MN

Postby ferret89 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:04 pm

Give your tuner a call and talk to him about it, see what he thinks and bring it in for a check up if you are worried
ferret89

Car: Liberty MY08 Tuned by STI
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28511

Postby Lane » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:55 am

FWIW I believe your car is fine, after putting on your exhaust you're probably just paying it much more attention lately.

Canberra is cold and it has been pretty moisture laden in that area lately (I watch snow reports and visit the snow a lot!) I'm sure you know your area and car well however.

If you had head gasket issues you'd be blowing more than that, what's it like on a warmer afternoon when it's been running for 20+ minutes?
Lane

Car: BMW 335i & RSV4 Factory

Postby 04GT.MN » Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:49 pm

Had it looked at, dead turbo was the result I got.
If this picture uploads it's post turbo pre intercooler.
I wonder if rebuilding it could be of any help? Last time I had the exhaust off the shaft had no play at all
Attachments
IMG_20160828_142737-320x240.jpg
Well there's my problem
IMG_20160828_142737-320x240.jpg (25.37 KiB) Viewed 11416 times
04GT.MN

Postby bigBADbenny » Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:12 pm

Check if your pcv or breather hoses are blocked, if the crankcase can't vent due to blockages, oil will be forced past the turbo bearings leading to oil in the inlet and zorst.
Installing an AOS or catch can at the same time might be a good idea.

What type you get is less important than correct install and proper CCV and heads venting/filtration imho ;)
Plenty of info on this forum about options, too. https://www.google.com.au/search?biw=32 ... DaN3qgc_Wk

That much oil in your inlet could affect the octane of your fuel leading to detonation, so stay out of boost and extreme driving till you get it all sorted.
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby 04GT.MN » Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:08 pm

Thanks bigbadbenny, oddly enough after cleaning out my 'charge pipes' car has started to run normally again with no smoke, so I think your onto a winner.
I had seen a bit of talk about the Kap catch cans on this site, keen to get one and support the aussie companies.
I'll check my pcv and breather hoses soon
04GT.MN

Postby 04GT.MN » Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:32 pm

So it's been a while, installed a catch can soon after the last post, also changed the way I was driving and as a result there was no smoke out the back. Woo success!
Originally I thought it was all peachy but I soon realized that if I left the car to idle for 10 or so minutes. The smoke would return and it would smoke for the first 500 meters or so of driving under light load, low gear and low boost, (down my street and around the next bend)
So I pulled my dump off, and I have forwards and backwards shaft play, not a lot but definitely noticeable with fingertips but no side to side and vertical play.
So I guess my question is how much shaft play is acceptable and to my understanding that could explain the smoke?

Thanks again for any input and info I've found that here nasoic and legacy gt are awesome places to start.
04GT.MN

Postby bigBADbenny » Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:46 am

A little bit, since it's a journal bearing turbo.
You'd definitely want to check the filters in your turbo oil supply line before eg installing a new turbo...
bigBADbenny

Postby 04GT.MN » Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:45 pm

Tried to get to the banjo bolt in the oil feed line, couldn't do it any suggestions on the best way of getting to it? Have read all the walk through I can find but they are all on single scroll or usdm cars so minor differences but big enough to through me off.
I thought to jack it up and remove the uppipe from underneath, but even then I'm not %100 if that would work.

https://youtu.be/JRLNLl--wwo
While I was under there though I figured I would record the shaft play Its only A quick vid but hopefully It will Lend some Insight or extra information.
04GT.MN

Postby bigBADbenny » Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:39 pm

Not sure what ur trying to demonstrate in that vid :/
bigBADbenny

Postby 04GT.MN » Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:44 pm

hah sorry, the clunking noise is me pushing and pulling the shaft, i dont think turbos should have that movement just doesnt seem right to me :shock: i wish i had a sway of measuring it
04GT.MN

Return to Exhausts