The USB/Aux-in/ipod compatibility superthread

Stereos, amps, phone kits, Navi...

Re: The USB/Aux-in/ipod compatibility superthread

Postby Curley5959 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 1:33 am

baron wrote:Quick question for those of you with Grom units, particularly the BT3; will the steering wheel controls work with bluetooth? I.e., is it possible to change tracks via the SWC during bluetooth playback? and will a call interrupt, for example, USB playback? If not, is there anything on the market with this capability?

PS apologies if this has been answered (probably has); I searched to no avail.. this thread is a behemoth!

During Bluetooth playback - Yes, the SWC will work.
During Aux playback - No, the SWC won't work.
A call will interrupt - Yes, whilst Bluetooth Audio is playing, but you may need to turn volume up to hear the audio whilst talking and quickly turn the volume back down when the call ends so the music doesn't come back on too loud.
Regarding USB playback - I have never tried this as I thought the USB was only for charging?

Another thing to note, with the SWC, I noticed the Track # starts at 50 and whilst skipping, it will only reach 64 before you need to press the back button (which resets the number back to 64 - only occasionally though) or go out of CH mode and back in again (by pressing Disc twice)

All of this occurs on my McIntosh PF-25511. Could be different for other models.
Curley5959

Car: 07 Forester XT
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=27640

Postby kannan » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:05 am

I recently heard the Mcintosh PF-40251 head unit and was blown by its SQ prowess.
So have ordered one from ebay in the hope it works well and it will be shipped soon.

I will be running it inhouse in my audio setup and not in the car. This head unit made by Clarion uses the square CeNet cable for CD changer input.

I also got a cheap deal on the Clarion DCZ625 6-CD changer and have ordered it.
Similarly I have also ordered the Clarion EA1276B ipod interface.
I am also looking forward to buy the PIE CLR-AUX which allows switching of CD changer to any AUX input source.
Finally I would also like to add the Clarion CeNet Y-adapter cable to use the CD changer and ipod interface simultaneously.

Will the above gadgets work with the Mcintosh PF-40251-A head unit is what I wonder as it also uses a similar CeNet connection (unless it runs on a older protocol).
kannan

Car: Tata Indica

Postby meiztom » Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:40 pm

Can anyone confirm the Kenwood KCA-iP500 adaptor will work with Kenwood gx-203kh headunit on a 05? I can't find a firm answer
meiztom

Postby sesh025 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:52 pm

Hello all,
Great Information on this forum. New subby owner here!!
Purchased a liberty (MY08 luxury edition) a month ago, brilliant ride but has it's flaws. Previous owner hacked the audio system and installed an axis 1408nav system in place of the factory nav- couple of issues -
1. it sticks out like a sore thumb.
2. audio quality is terrible i can literally hear the engine in the audio system (the noise replicates according to engine revs)

my original plan is to restore it to factory specs but in place of the factory satnav i plan to install a tablet and use the aux functionality of the McIntosh system.
I need advice on this - what would you guys prefer - retain the McIntosh unit or go after market? (if after market which HU would u recommend?) i have not found a facia kit for this shiny finish McIntosh.

the reason i am inclined towards a tablet is because i like the tom tom nav app that goes with android and i will have pandora built in, plus a whole lot more.

i need the following parts to get the stock HU running.

1. Round Din Cable (Hu to amp)
2. 3.5 Aux add on
3. OEM antenna connector (not the entire length only the bit from the HU to the grey rectangular 2 pin Connector located behind the HU)- this i found the hardest to find.

if any one has these parts it would be a great help.

thank you
sesh025

Postby SVXdc » Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:48 pm

sesh025 wrote:...
Purchased a liberty (MY08 luxury edition)...
i have not found a facia kit for this shiny finish McIntosh.

I recommend going aftermarket, as the original McIntosh system is getting a bit dated.

As for a replacement fascia, check out the thread here by Scooby-Doo (he had one fabricated by a place that works with plastics).

But if you do restore the OEM system...

sesh025 wrote:...
i need the following parts to get the stock HU running.

1. Round Din Cable (Hu to amp)
2. 3.5 Aux add on
3. OEM antenna connector (not the entire length only the bit from the HU to the grey rectangular 2 pin Connector located behind the HU)- this i found the hardest to find.

Item 1 (DIN interconnect cord) should be available from Subaru as a repair part, or from a salvage yard. You need to find a Liberty or Outback that has the same Mc HU. What are the model numbers on yours (on the label on the top)? Can you post pictures (entire front, rear, top)? The last digit will be the letter i, not the number 1.

Item 2 (harness to use HU's aux input) is available from a few different aftermarket harness suppliers, including me.

Item 3 (antenna feeder cord) is supplied by Clarion with the HU. It can be ordered from a vendor that sells repair parts for Clarion head units. This is the feeder cord for the US model CE617U1 (Clarion PF-3380I-A) HU shown in this thread. Clarion may have a different part # for the feeder cord they shipped with your Mc HU, but I'm all but certain that this one will work for you too. You can probably get it cheaper if you can find a salvage yard who hasn't cut it.

BTW, has anyone seen a similar Australian model HU like our CE617U1? (it has built-in USB and Bluetooth, but no video display. Does not have sat radio built-in -- requires Subaru's external Sirius/XM tuner box).
1996 SVX L AWD <<>> Useful Subaru wiring info
SVXdc

Car: 1996 SVX L AWD

Postby meiztom » Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:47 pm

meiztom wrote:Can anyone confirm the Kenwood KCA-iP500 adaptor will work with Kenwood gx-203kh headunit on a 05? I can't find a firm answer

answer is no, no it won't lol
meiztom

Postby acdc » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:15 am

After much searching the posts and threads on this forum I have only managed to confuse myself even more.

My wife has a 2010 liberty sports and I would like to add USB to it somehow. Has anyone tried one of these units ? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fit-Outback-XV- ... vc&vxp=mtr

The stereo is a non nav unit with a 6 in dash cd changer.

Any assistance would be appreciated and thanks in advance.

P.S - is it a kenwood or macintosh stereo ?

Craig ( Townsville NTH QLD
acdc

Car: 2010 Liberty

Postby BMCracer » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:31 pm

I'm gathering parts for a Nexus install. It seems that the Electric Design FSL-21 McIntosh AUX in unit is no longer available, so what is the current unit of choice?
2007 NZ new 3.0 Spec B 5EAT wagon in Brilliant Silver 39D
BMCracer

Car: NZDM MY07 3.0R Spec B 5eat Wgn

Postby Milhouse » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:24 am

I've just installed a GROM USB3 in my pre-facelift McIntosh 3.0R-B. The Cushie Audio website says it's not compatible but I checked with Chris (salesman/owner?) who said people were having unexpectedly good outcomes from the USB3 in the PF-2551 McIntosh stereo. It plugs into the back of the stereo and comes with quality male -> female USB extension. I have barely any experience and had no issues.

Absolute full functionality with steering wheel control (volume up/down, track up/down) on Spotify and my iPhone 6S' music app. I can fast forward using the knob on the stereo too. Sound quality is as you'd expect - probably the same or a little better than when I had an Anycar AUX in. I can comfortably play up to around 32 volume before the quality starts to falter with stock speakers/amp. Charges my phone too.

YMMV but it worked for me when the website said it probably would not.
Milhouse

Car: MY05 3.0R-B sedan

Postby fr250t » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:20 am

Hi Guys,

I'm looking at purchasing the below, has anyone used this unit in a MY07 (2006) SpecB (or similar) Factory McIntosh unit ??
Can't seem to find a solid answer in the thread. The rear connection looks similar however.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/BTA-YAT ... autifyAB=0
fr250t

Car: MY07 GT Spec.B 6 Speed

Postby xelipherr » Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:11 am

jiggabite wrote:So after driving 1400km+ over the christmas break, the radio got boring and the FM transmitter didn't cut it. I'm one of the lucky ones who bought the car second hand which didn't have an AUX cable from factory.
I really do not want to spend $120+ for the AUX cable from subaru, so started hunting.

After searching a pin-out image which was posted on this thread, I came across Beatsonic from Japan (http://www.world-beatsonic.com/audiovid ... aux-input/) who have a compatible AUX cable for cheaper. I contacted the Australian distributor (http://www.oemplus.com.au/) and placed an order today. The cable was $66.50 including delivery, eagerly awaiting it's arrival now!

I can see where the 8pin goes into the HU, but what is the other pin cable for? Not the two RCA's.

Also, I'm not too sure but I think my car must be usdm, it doesn't look like the JDM libertys at the front of car etc. I'm really hoping to just plug and play however I'm just not sure about that extra bit. The place I went to try buy the cable was only in Japanese and didn't show what it is connecting to. Thanks :))
xelipherr

Car: 06 (MY 07) Liberty GT-B

Postby bigBADbenny » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:19 am

fr250t wrote:Hi Guys,

I'm looking at purchasing the below, has anyone used this unit in a MY07 (2006) SpecB (or similar) Factory McIntosh unit ??
Can't seem to find a solid answer in the thread. The rear connection looks similar however.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/BTA-YAT ... autifyAB=0

Possibly, for Macintosh, you’ll need the clarion/Suzuki type changer plug.
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby bigBADbenny » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:26 am

xelipherr wrote:
jiggabite wrote:So after driving 1400km+ over the christmas break, the radio got boring and the FM transmitter didn't cut it. I'm one of the lucky ones who bought the car second hand which didn't have an AUX cable from factory.
I really do not want to spend $120+ for the AUX cable from subaru, so started hunting.

After searching a pin-out image which was posted on this thread, I came across Beatsonic from Japan (http://www.world-beatsonic.com/audiovid ... aux-input/) who have a compatible AUX cable for cheaper. I contacted the Australian distributor (http://www.oemplus.com.au/) and placed an order today. The cable was $66.50 including delivery, eagerly awaiting it's arrival now!

I can see where the 8pin goes into the HU, but what is the other pin cable for? Not the two RCA's.

Also, I'm not too sure but I think my car must be usdm, it doesn't look like the JDM libertys at the front of car etc. I'm really hoping to just plug and play however I'm just not sure about that extra bit. The place I went to try buy the cable was only in Japanese and didn't show what it is connecting to. Thanks :))

CFB363F0-AD80-4289-AC84-B9BFDEA2CAC7.jpeg
CFB363F0-AD80-4289-AC84-B9BFDEA2CAC7.jpeg (153.59 KiB) Viewed 15433 times

There’s no ambiguity if you look at this diagram :)
Scroll left to right if viewing on a phone...

The adapter is pretty straight forward: there’s a guide here on how to make one for under $10 :)
bigBADbenny

Postby bigBADbenny » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:37 am

Also your car is a postfl aka facelift car.
Being an Australian delivered car, it’s most similar to rhd European and Singapore delivered models.
USA didn’t get the facelift. Japan didn’t get his headlight washers or 2.5T.
bigBADbenny

Postby ICE_BM » Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:12 pm

in that picture just above ^^ the outline looks like the older McIntosh? (the top example with 'no connection' for the extra plug)
Is 'premium' better than McIntosh? (where 'vehicle harness' connects to the extra plug)
Is the extra plug for the SatNav to interrupt the stereo for announcing directions?
ICE_BM

Car: Lib 3RB Wagon MY08; OB MY06 2.5 5sp

PreviousNext

Return to Audio options