Reverse cameras

Stereos, amps, phone kits, Navi...

Re: Reverse cameras

Postby HyRax » Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:06 pm

idaho52 wrote:i recently grabbed a unit for my wagon that looked pretty much identical to the units a lot of you guys have in the images you show - in fact it looks nearly identical to tom_kaufs.
the supplier (eBay of course) said it should do NTSC and PAL. but im only getting grey flickering video now its all connected.

Grey flickering suggests you are using an NTSC camera through a PAL-only display unit (or vice-versa). If you can, get a composite extension lead and plug it into a portable (or actual) modern TV which we know does both standards without skipping a beat. If the picture is good, then you know it's just a clash of video standards.
I was going to procrastinate, but I put it off...
HyRax

Car: ADM MY19 3.6R Outback
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15482

Postby tom_kauf » Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:31 pm

Yeah, the camera needs to be NTSC.
Testing on a TV is a good tip.

I can't find the website where I got mine from unfortunately, but any NTSC camera will work (just has to fit the Liberty/Legacy mounting holes).
[Stealth & Speed - Comfort & Practicality]: My 2008 MY09 GT SpecB Wagon - Manual 200,000km
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Car: 2008 Liberty GT SpecB Manual Wagon

Postby idaho52 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:46 pm

Yeah im confidenmt the nav unit is NTSC its the stock subaru unit, and i tested the inputs, both the molex and the standalone video RCA with a portable media player set to NTSC output and got good picture - setting that player to PAL resulted in the same grey fuzzy mess i have now, i tested the reverse camera on a PAL tv only - but as i say - the seller implied it was a dual NTSC/PAL unit so that was more just a test that the camera wasnt DOA or something like that.i probably should have tested to the head unit then and there but that was a fit of a faff around. lesson learned though.

might have to head back to ebay and try to find one that is definitely only NTSC and hope that its not another misleading item - could get quite pricey if i have to keep taking punts.

Cheers guys.
idaho52

Car: MY07 Spec B Wagon

Postby HyRax » Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:12 pm

The camera will only transmit in NTSC or PAL - it can't do both at once. If it's a dual standard unit, I'd expect to see a switch or a screw-type knob somewhere to change it to the other standard.
I was going to procrastinate, but I put it off...
HyRax

Car: ADM MY19 3.6R Outback
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15482

Postby tom_kauf » Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:54 pm

HyRax wrote:The camera will only transmit in NTSC or PAL - it can't do both at once. If it's a dual standard unit, I'd expect to see a switch or a screw-type knob somewhere to change it to the other standard.

Agreed. How does the camera know what the display is? I don't see how it can auto detect what mode it needs to be in. Maybe a switch like HyRax said, but I'm not sure.
[Stealth & Speed - Comfort & Practicality]: My 2008 MY09 GT SpecB Wagon - Manual 200,000km
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Postby bigBADbenny » Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:25 pm

Have to look up how to switch dual mode cameras maybe, eg bump the power or vid channels to get it to switch.
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby dirtyharry289 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:54 pm

Has anyone used one of the clip in cameras?? If not Ill just get the screw in one like above.
Attachments
2016-07-14 (1).png
2016-07-14 (1).png (255.17 KiB) Viewed 6031 times
Cheers Harry

MY05 H6 Wagon
88 CRX
dirtyharry289

Car: 2005 MY05 H6 Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?t=30045

Postby idaho52 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:20 pm

There is definitely no solid switch on it - I had thought the same but took it at face value that the unit would be able to switch based on the reciever, obviously not the case in this circumstance.
I've had a google and cant seem to find any way of forcing the unit (or any small camera) from NTSC to PAL. Most similar threads on forums seem to say its a switch set inside the housing when the units are assembled, so theres a good chace that this one is just a PAL unit and I'm shit out of luck. Theres little point cracking the thing open on an off chance that that's the case. Plus it'll destroy the waterproofing even if the switch is accessable.

I have found this one - http://bit.ly/2c4cEOr - which based on price alone is hopefully a genuine Sony unit, plus it an Aussie seller so that might be the next attempt.

Dirtyharry. if you have a gen4 wagon I think you will find those units wont fit. I had looked at them initally but I believe they're to suit the gen5 onwards.

Cheers again for the help gents.
idaho52

Car: MY07 Spec B Wagon

Postby robo498 » Thu May 04, 2017 12:34 am

Hi guys, hoping for some advise? I have an 08 liberty wagon with factory sat navigation. Is the wiring already in the car from the head unit to the trail gate, and i only have to get a camera to plug in and mount? Could i be that lucky? :shock: if so ntsc or pal camera? Thanks all.
robo498

Car: liberty wagon my08 2.5L Sat Nav

Postby tom_kauf » Thu May 04, 2017 12:51 am

robo498 wrote:Hi guys, hoping for some advise? I have an 08 liberty wagon with factory sat navigation. Is the wiring already in the car from the head unit to the trail gate, and i only have to get a camera to plug in and mount? Could i be that lucky? :shock: if so ntsc or pal camera? Thanks all.

No unfortunately. You have to run an RCA Cable from the head unit to the tailgate. And the connector on the Headunit isn't even an RCA for the reverse Camera, it's a square 4 Pin Molex (like computer CPU power connector). There is an RCA input on the head unit, but it's not used for a camera (isn't linked to automatically come on like a Camera would).
Most people buy the connector kit with Pins from Jaycar, and cut the cable to make a custom cable out of the RCA end that goes into the head unit. Otherwise, apparently someone on Legacy GT Forum in the US makes them and sells them to Subaru owners.

The camera mounting is pretty easy if you get the type that replaces one of the Number Plate lights (the camera units have a light built in, so you won't have one unlit Numberplate side). The camera just needs power run to it, by tapping into the reverse lights, and ground from a chassis point or ground cable.

This thread shows in more detail what I mean with the connectors:
http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin ... post624466

And it's NTSC, since that was the standard in Japan.
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Postby robo498 » Thu May 04, 2017 1:00 am

Wow thanks for that, starting to sound like a drama. You get around, i have read i lot of posts on this group, and more often than not i see you, thanks for your help and advise. :)
robo498

Car: liberty wagon my08 2.5L Sat Nav

Postby tom_kauf » Sat May 06, 2017 1:29 pm

robo498 wrote:Wow thanks for that, starting to sound like a drama. You get around, i have read i lot of posts on this group, and more often than not i see you, thanks for your help and advise. :)

Yeah, it's not a quick job unfortunately. It's not complicated, just requires some splicing of cables and running an RCA cable. But yeah, a few hours at least (maybe plan half a day or more for anyone that hasn't removed the trim or head unit before).

No problem 8)
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Postby BMCracer » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:46 pm

I am going to fit a Nexus 7, and I am hoping somewhere can tell me if the factory reversing camera ( pretty common on JDM cars, not so much ADM / NZDM ) can be made to work with the Nexus? Am I right in thinking the factory camera has an RCA plug which normally plugs into the back of the factory SatNav screen? If so, could I get a RCA - USB adaptor to plug it into the Nexus, and some kind of app to run it?
2007 NZ new 3.0 Spec B 5EAT wagon in Brilliant Silver 39D
BMCracer

Car: NZDM MY07 3.0R Spec B 5eat Wgn

Postby tom_kauf » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:13 pm

BMCracer wrote:I am going to fit a Nexus 7, and I am hoping somewhere can tell me if the factory reversing camera ( pretty common on JDM cars, not so much ADM / NZDM ) can be made to work with the Nexus? Am I right in thinking the factory camera has an RCA plug which normally plugs into the back of the factory SatNav screen? If so, could I get a RCA - USB adaptor to plug it into the Nexus, and some kind of app to run it?

What year model is your car? Because I didn't think Gen4s had factory reverse cameras (even in Japan). Or is that for a Gen5? I would've gladly bought a genuine Subaru one if they had them for Gen4s.
Although, the McIntosh Head Units do have an input for it, so maybe there are JDM ones after all.

I can't find any analog to digital converters that support an input into a tablet (only drivers and programs that support windows). But maybe others will have more luck.

If you're going with a Tablet anyway, why not get one that uses WiFi directly to the Tablet? Then you don't need to run cables from the front to the back. They support Android, and are reasonably priced (less than an analog reversing camera and converter would probably be).

This one in the link below came up, but I don't know anything about it.
http://www.4ucam.com/iphone-android-ipa ... amera.html

Or there are many on Ebay that may be terrible quality, but search for eg. 'WiFi reverse camera android', and there'll be some with Brand names at a medium price, that are decent quality.
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Postby BMCracer » Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:44 pm

Sorry forgot to put my car details there. It's a 2007 facelift NZ New ( NZ / ADM car ) Spec B 3.0 wagon. Factory Macintosh radio, no SatNav.

I want to try to use the Factory camera as I want the whole thing to look as factory as possible. Not a fan of the cameras on the bracket that go on the numberplate screws, look tacky and a real afterthought to me. My car has a blank plate in the hole where the factory camera is on JDM cars.

Have seen people use things like this https://www.aliexpress.com/item/30pcs-l ... .22.6XvPVN to get from camera RCA to Nexus. If this will actually do the job, I'll use it if I can find a factory camera.
2007 NZ new 3.0 Spec B 5EAT wagon in Brilliant Silver 39D
BMCracer

Car: NZDM MY07 3.0R Spec B 5eat Wgn

PreviousNext

Return to Audio options