Blown Engine - what are the options? rebuild / replace

Posts specific to the 2.5 litre turbo engine

Blown Engine - what are the options? rebuild / replace

Postby triston » Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:57 pm

Hi All,

After some insights, guidance and some advice.

Unfortunately my engine seems to have blown - don't know the full details. But it started making a loud vibrating / rattle noise on the highway last weekend and when I pulled off it died and wouldn't start.

It towed to Subaru in Gosford (was on the way to Newcastle from Sydney). They informed me today that its knocking like crazy and the bottom end has gone - $7,200 to fix and the turbo is probably ruined - $4,000.

Quite annoying - its 2008 GT sti model, only done 110,000 kms and service every 5,000 km - just had major timing belt service a couple of months ago, so I thought it should be alright for a while.

But anyway - Subaru's $11,000 estimate is way to high for me, so wondering what others have done in this situation, suggested mechanics / engine sellers etc. Are they worth repairing these days? Are other EJ turbo engines compatible and close to bolt in status?
triston

Car: 08 GT-B tuned by Sti

Re: Blown Engine - what are the options? rebuild / replace

Postby vinshonz » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:10 pm

sad to hear.. i just bought a bone stock one , planning to modify

what mods did you have, how much power did have if you dont mind me asking
2008 Liberty GT Tuned by STi 27 of 250 made
PnP VF52, AVO TBE into TCP-Ti Mufflers, AVO panel filter, Mishimoto TMIC, Turbosmart Kompact BOV, Kobe Silicone Intake + SFB, Kobe 340LPH pump,
Tuspeed 3Port, Exedy HD + lightened flywheel, some Whiteline bits & Corgiwerx bits, Zeitronix Flex Fuel Analyser Kit , e85/98 Flex fuel -Got it REX tuned

2007 WRX Tuned by STi 35 of 200 made
STi Spec C TMIC+ProcessWest splitter, AVO TBE, X3E Silicone Intake, APS CAI, TurboSmart Kompact, Walbro, GrimmSpeed 3 Port, DEFI gauges
TD05-18G 198.5kw on RTRs Dyno - SOLD
vinshonz

Car: 2008 Liberty GT TunedBySTi

Postby triston » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:18 pm

vinshonz wrote:sad to hear.. i just bought a bone stock one , planning to modify

what mods did you have, how much power did have if you dont mind me asking

Mostly stock, just has silicone turbo inlet & sfb engine wise and rear sway bar & strut bar
triston

Postby Jordan.k » Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:28 am

There were a fair few 08 model cars affected by a big end bearing failure problem.. Think there was a recall. Check if yours is.

And in regards to prices, 11k is crack price, could probably be done new shortblock and bits 5-6ish drive in drive out (or tow in).
Last edited by Jordan.k on Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
ARP 2000 Headstuds | VF43 | Norm butler exhaust |
196kw Atw tuned by Matt Mcleod
Jordan.k

Car: '06 wrx
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=30099

Postby vinshonz » Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:28 am

Should i go a dealership with my 08gtb and ask if there any recalls this car?

Tristons car only had a silicone intake.... Wow
PnP VF52, AVO TBE into TCP-Ti Mufflers, AVO panel filter, Mishimoto TMIC, Turbosmart Kompact BOV, Kobe Silicone Intake + SFB, Kobe 340LPH pump,
Tuspeed 3Port, Exedy HD + lightened flywheel, some Whiteline bits & Corgiwerx bits, Zeitronix Flex Fuel Analyser Kit , e85/98 Flex fuel -Got it REX tuned

STi Spec C TMIC+ProcessWest splitter, AVO TBE, X3E Silicone Intake, APS CAI, TurboSmart Kompact, Walbro, GrimmSpeed 3 Port, DEFI gauges
vinshonz

Postby jacks-GTB » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:46 am

Very common on the 08 STI's to do big end bearing...

If its still at Gosford, give MSR an email, he's up the hill at somersby...
jacks-GTB

Car: 2007 Subaru Liberty GT Spec B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16629

Postby ferret89 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:13 pm

vinshonz wrote:Should i go a dealership with my 08gtb and ask if there any recalls this car?

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mellor.nsf/story2/ABD5BB0E8A39281DCA25742600021B35

Especially seems to be a problem with the tbsti models (probably due to the horrible "sti" tune they have on it)

Take it to them and see if they'll play ball, especially if you have full service history by Subaru.

Otherwise a competent mechanic will be able to do a short block for $6-7k and what is that "turbo is probably ruined"? Turbo could be fine so don't just get that replaced without checking it out first but I do have a VF46 turbo from my 08 in a box from my upgrade (~97,000kms) if it is ruined and you want an affordable replacement.
ferret89

Car: Liberty MY08 Tuned by STI
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28511

Postby vinshonz » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:44 pm

ferret89 wrote:
vinshonz wrote:Should i go a dealership with my 08gtb and ask if there any recalls this car?

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mellor.nsf/story2/ABD5BB0E8A39281DCA25742600021B35

Especially seems to be a problem with the tbsti models (probably due to the horrible "sti" tune they have on it)

Take it to them and see if they'll play ball, especially if you have full service history by Subaru.

Otherwise a competent mechanic will be able to do a short block for $6-7k and what is that "turbo is probably ruined"? Turbo could be fine so don't just get that replaced without checking it out first but I do have a VF46 turbo from my 08 in a box from my upgrade (~97,000kms) if it is ruined and you want an affordable replacement.

thanks for the information, i've felt like i hijacked tristans thread, sorry!

triston what power level are you planning to seek? i personally would get a built motor to handle future power needs :D

vinshonz

Postby triston » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:57 pm

Thanks all for the replies.

Currently still at Subaru Gosford. When I spoke to them on Tuesday they were going to see if they could figure out why it happened (e.g. timing belt failure - recently replaced by Subaru Artarmon) - though when girlfriend rang them today they said they had no idea what car she was talking about and never seen it - sigh :?:

I'll check to see if Subaru are responsible in anyway, either recall (though I think I've checked this before) or repair issues. Otherwise get some quotes from MSR and other then decide whether to repair / get it 'built' (considering the potential fix price this could be an option) or scrape it.

Does anyone know if the newer STI wrx engines bolt in / close to bolt in?
triston

Postby jp928 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:09 pm

FwiW.....Mine is an 08 gtb 6mt, in the late 07-early 08 bad batch of engines. First oil change was pulled forward to 4k, and declared OK. Early in 2014 it went in for a service (not dealer) and they said a big end is going- 121k kms. Took it dealer to verify - yes. I asked them what they could do for me considering it was in the bad batch - checked the ECU had not been changed. Offered me a new short + gaskets and fluids if I paid for the labour . What sort of labour cost are we talking ? ~$2k - ok go for it. $600 for heads to be sent out and cleaned, flushed. NO mention of turbo issues.
I added a new oil cooler, being wary of metal particles trapped inside, and a new clutch. Total bit over $4k. Took them only 2 1/2 days, which impressed me.
10k later no issues at all.

jp 08 gtb 6mt wagon
jp928

Car: 08 gtb 6mt wagon

Return to 2.5T engine specific