Help! serious noise from 2.5 turbo engine (see vid)

Posts specific to the 2.5 litre turbo engine

Help! serious noise from 2.5 turbo engine (see vid)

Postby Blue GTSpecB » Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:01 pm

Hi all. Was driving home last night and engine started making a knocking noise. I was 1/2 km from home so risked it but by the time I got home it was pretty loud. I started it once again this morning for the video and it sounds the same. No engine light or low oil light. Car is a stock 2008 GT Spec B auto. Anyone have an idea what the noise is. I'm guessing it's serious - cheers

Apologies about the squeal in the video - that's my phone but not risking starting the engine again.

video here https://youtu.be/jl3mXzsglLs
Last edited by Blue GTSpecB on Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
2008 GT SpecB Wagon - in process of rebuild
Other rides:
VW R32 MkV - stage 2 Engine and DSG tune; HKS Coilovers
VW Polo GTI (wifeys ride) - n8 stage 2 TVS engineering engine and dsg tunes; Eibach springs
BMW 430 M sport - stock
Mitsubishi Pajero diesel - NW - ECU tune- blacked out
Blue GTSpecB

Car: Liberty GT Spec B Wagon

Re: Help! serious noise from 2.5 turbo engine (see vid)

Postby satogixxer » Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:18 pm

Sorry to say, but that sounds like big end bearing failure.

I seem to recall mention of a bad batch of 08 engines that suffered big end bearing failures. You can check with Subaru to see if yours is in the affected batch (after confirming it is the big end of course) and go from there? I think some people were able to claim warranty on the repairs still.

How many K's on the car?
[Liberty GT MY10 6MT]: STI bits | STI Brembo's + Dixcel | DAMD D-shape | Cusco coilovers & sways | HKS LA clutch | BLITZ pod | Plazmaman FMIC | Deshele built EJ25 | Emtron ECU | BorgWarner EFR 7670 | 369kw atw
[Outback 3R MY04]: Stock as a rock
Profile video here
satogixxer

Car: '10 Liberty GT 6MT + '04 Outback 3R
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=20495

Postby ferret89 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:09 pm

Does not sound good at all, agree with satogixxer here it sounds like your engine is rooted

Check the build date of your car, if it is between Jan and April 2008 it is in the affected batch and I'd give your dealer a call.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/11785/subaru-suspends-25-litre-turbo-sales/

Bit more info in this article

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mellor.nsf/story2/ABD5BB0E8A39281DCA25742600021B35

I didn't when I had my original engine die and I definitely would knowing what I do now. I believe a few people have taken this to Subaru and had deals where they only pay for labour and Subaru pays for the parts and things like that even though they are long out of warranty since it was a known issue.

On the plus side it is still stock so there'd be no chance of blaming any mods or tunes etc. that might have been done
ferret89

Car: Liberty MY08 Tuned by STI
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28511

Postby Blue GTSpecB » Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:07 pm

Thanks guys , I was bracing for the news! checked the plate and it's a Feb 2008 build. The car has 130,000 is and all book servicing. The car has only been serviced by subaru so I will give them a call and keep you posted.
2008 GT SpecB Wagon - in process of rebuild
Other rides:
VW R32 MkV - stage 2 Engine and DSG tune; HKS Coilovers
VW Polo GTI (wifeys ride) - n8 stage 2 TVS engineering engine and dsg tunes; Eibach springs
BMW 430 M sport - stock
Mitsubishi Pajero diesel - NW - ECU tune- blacked out
Blue GTSpecB

Car: Liberty GT Spec B Wagon

Postby Spoonie » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:22 pm

Blue GTSpecB wrote:Thanks guys , I was bracing for the news! checked the plate and it's a Feb 2008 build. The car has 130,000 is and all book servicing. The car has only been serviced by subaru so I will give them a call and keep you posted.

Hey, any update on what Subaru came back to you with? I have the same issue that presented itself just now and my build plate is 02/08.

So far the knock is only audible when revving but I didnt drive it far at all as soon as I noticed it so I guess its on its way out
MY08 Liberty GT-B TB STi #208 (Ob. Black)
Build plate 02/08
Spoonie

Car: MY08 Subaru Liberty GT-B TB STi #208

Postby Jake.h71 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:06 pm

Are you guys in Melbourne?
Jake.h71

Car: o4 liberty

Postby Spoonie » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:34 pm

Sydney here
MY08 Liberty GT-B TB STi #208 (Ob. Black)
Build plate 02/08
Spoonie

Car: MY08 Subaru Liberty GT-B TB STi #208

Postby jp928 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:56 pm

Mine is also a 2008 Jan build GTB, 6mt wagon, and I lost a big end at 121k kms in late 2014. It was called in at 4k for its first oil change and checked for the big end issue, given the all clear. Went to dealer, they checked that ECU had not been tampered with, and had all required services, and with a bit of a push offered parts (new short block, gaskets, fluids) if I paid for labour, estimated at $2500, including sending heads out for a flush etc. I opted for a new oil cooler (you cant get metal debris out of a cooler!), and clutch, so all up it was a bit over $4k.
If your engine was in the bad batch, and you dont have high mileage, you have a good chance of getting some sympathy - not that its common from Suby dealers!

jp 08 gtb 6mt wagon
jp928

Car: 08 gtb 6mt wagon

Return to 2.5T engine specific