Release Shift lock MY07 Liberty

Ask for help with doing something on your car here.

Release Shift lock MY07 Liberty

Postby 07libz » Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:39 am

G'day everyone,

Came accross a problem the other night with my liberty which I have only had for about 3 weeks. I have experienced some trouble with the automatic gearbox going from drive to reverse before but it would always go through if I persisted.

This time though I had to follow the manual to take the trim off and jam a screwdriver into hole to the top right of the transmission. I wasn't exactly sure what I was to be pushing on but somehow I got it to fall into park.

The same trick however doesn't seem to be working to get it out of park, or maybe I'm just worried I'll break something. All I can see in the hole in some white plastic as the bottom, no indication of a button that releases the shift lock which leads me to believe I am doing something wrong. I can also hear a kind of shorting noise from behind the wheel when trying to shift out of park.

I just need another way to temporarily disable it, or an idea of how to fix it so I can at least get the car moving.

Thanks in advance,
07libz

Car: 2007 Liberty 3.0R Spec.B

Re: Release Shift lock MY07 Liberty

Postby skidaddle » Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:18 am

G'day mate, I just came across this exact problem today on my liberty gt 2007 auto.
First start by checking your Trans oil level and condition with engine running. If that's ok, this was the problem I had.
Remove the center console to reveal the selector passage. Let me know if you need instructions for this.
There is a plastic piece that is supposed to be connected to the passage to reinforce the selector path. It was no longer in that place which was blocking the passage for the selector to pass through. It just needs to be glued back into place. I used araldyte (loctite superglue didn't work). Be sure to move the selector through the passage while in place before the glue dries to ensure it's in the right position. You'll need to turn the key on to be able to do it. The engine doesn't need to be running. I'm trying to add a photo but the file size is too large and I don't know how to shrink it. Maybe you can help me with that lol.
The shorting noise you're hearing in the steering column is normal, it's just the solenoid cutting in and out due to the position of the gear selector it prevents the key being removed if not in park.
Failing this fix, you may have a faulty brake switch or fuse. Check that the brake lights work to rule that out. Failing that you may need to replace your selector assembly.
skidaddle

Car: 07 liberty gt wagon

Postby skidaddle » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:57 am

Figured out how to shrink the photo file, this is the plastic piece I was talking about. Just glue the Grey thing to the white thing in the correct place and you're good as new.
Attachments
Optimized-20160624_162110.jpg
Optimized-20160624_162110.jpg (167.28 KiB) Viewed 4488 times
skidaddle

Postby 07libz » Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:09 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I took it to Subaru a couple of weeks back and they just took out the grey piece of trim shown in the picture. The sad it had broken off and wasn't necessary, but annoying I was expecting something to actually be wrong with it. Thanks for your help anyway.
07libz

Car: 2007 Liberty 3.0R Spec.B

Postby skidaddle » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:17 pm

No problems, hopefully they didn't sting you too much for that.
skidaddle

Postby tekno » Thu May 11, 2017 6:40 pm

Thanks for this advice - it saved my bacon this afternoon!

Got in the car to drive home and the shifter felt really tight and ended up jamming - could not move into D because the grey plastic piece had lodged itself in the shift gate.
The piece is pretty gnarled up so I just took it out - but I suspect it insulates the steel shift rod from the hard plastic casing and may start rattling.

- Unscrew shifter knob
- Remove audio system side strips
- Pop out ashtray
- Remove silver ring around shifter
- Flick out tabs under the silver ring that hold the centre console (in front of the S-Drive dial) and pull it up from the shifter cover
- Pull up on the shifter cover
- Whoomp there it is!
tekno

Postby lhuynh » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:44 am

Hi Tekno,

I got as far as the shifter cover. Two tabs nearest to the ash tray clipped out. Are there two more clips on the SI drive side? It looks as though that side of the shifter cover slides under the the center console where the drink holders/hand brake part sits. Didnt want to give it too much force in case i broke something. Does anything else need to be removed first before i can pull the cover off?
lhuynh

Postby tekno » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:08 am

No nothing else needs to come off - try pulling the centre console (SI Drive panel) up a bit and you should be able to see how it clips in
tekno

Return to How do I?