So the oil was a little low

Posts specific to the 2.5 litre turbo engine

So the oil was a little low

Postby trolley » Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:49 pm

I changed into some Nulon 10-40W after my mechanic mentioned she was eating a little oil in her old age. Unfortunately I had to leave it a few thousand KM later than intended due to overseas travel and silly season shenanigans, so I just now managed to swap the oil & filter out until I have time early next year for the 225,000km service.

I pulled 1.5 litres out. Shite. Oil level was fine last time I took it on a trip to Canberra. Does anyone know a good tombstone engraver or should I give the lads at Garage 88 a call?? :cry:
trolley

Car: 2007 GT Spec B

Re: So the oil was a little low

Postby HardwareBoB » Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:33 pm

That is lot of oil use... is it all in your intercooler?
HardwareBoB

Car: MY05 GT 5MT Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=27514

Postby trolley » Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:43 pm

No idea. I'm going to keep a close eye on it over the next couple of days. There was oil on the outside of the old oil filter, so that might have been the culprit. I'm just amazed it didn't blow up!
trolley

Postby Surge » Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:06 pm

220,000km is still a solid effort without having to do any major engine work. I wouldn't be too unhappy with that.
Anything more is just a bonus.
Surge

Car: 2010 lib GT 5eat

Postby bigBADbenny » Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:58 am

I'm putting in 500ml every second or third tank at 230k.
I'm installing a dual chamber AOS which will help pinpoint if it's loosing the oil from the rings via the CCV, or from the valves or valve seals via the head breathers.

The oil use is something to keep an eye on, every time I fill up.
It's considered by my mechanic to be close to normal for a car this age, however I do know of luckier examples.

I'm considering trying Dyna-Fuels oil additive to the Penrite 10/40 currently used.
And building up my spare engine :P

My mechanic assures me the oil use is good as it allows a richer safer tune with less chance of washing the bores.
So either way the end may be fun and spectacular!

More likely I'll try save the original block for a full rebuild tho.
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby trolley » Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:42 pm

I'm really happy with 220,000km, had a TBE and Matt's tune on it for, hmm, no idea how many KM's now but I definitely want more. Just like Oliver Twist. That little bastard. :lol:

BBB I do notice a thin cloud of blue behind me every time I engage the flat foot shifting feature. I'm assuming my mechanic had 5-30W in there so i'll check again after a few tanks. Sitting right on F after 100km so that's a little reassuring. Was dreaming of ethanol before this, maybe something to consider with a new build...
trolley

Postby fedaykin » Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:02 pm

Try Valvoline engine armour 10W-40 (or maybe it's 15W-40).
fedaykin

Car: MY10 GT Wagon 6MT

Postby jiggabite » Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:04 pm

Glad I'm not the only one facing the oil eating epidemic. Mine has 204,000 km and had it serviced about a month ago. Had to put 1L in yesterday and could hear slight knocking when idling which stopped after topping up the oil.
Mechanic uses 10w-40 Motul, however unable to find it in a shop, so thrown in Penrite 10w-50 (that's all was available). Now have a spare 1L in the boot.
jiggabite

Car: MY07 Liberty GTB Sedan Pearl White

Postby bigBADbenny » Fri Dec 25, 2015 6:49 am

It's an indicator, at best, of an engine built with loose tolerances from the factory, or more likely, as suggested by Owen in his experience at Revzone, of some type of engine damage, usually cylinder 4 ring-land damage provoked by the factory fuel delivery system, which has a tendency to starve that cylinder of fuel.

However IMHO it's possible to nurse these afflicted engines along with very regular oil checking (every fuel fill up) an upgraded fuel pump and a conservative tune, eg 15psi max. The car is still responsive and fun to drive, but vigilance is required.

And work on that plan B: mine being a spare long block that will be refreshed with rings, ARP studs, machined heads, factory gasket and timing kit, cast impeller water pump and stock oil pump. DIY budget 1-2k :)

To that I'll add an upgrade fuel system and KillerB oil pickup and baffle etc.
bigBADbenny

Postby Tonic » Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:12 am

400ml every 1,000 km since new..... But at one stage lost a lot and did the big end.
Since rebuild still uses 400ml per 1,000km
Uses 5:40
Tonic

Car: 06 Liberty 3.0RB now 09 facelift

Postby ferret89 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:16 am

Tonic wrote:400ml every 1,000 km since new..... But at one stage lost a lot and did the big end.

The H6 is known to consume oil a bit more than the EJ25 I thought, shouldn't be running through much if any on a new engine (EJ)
ferret89

Car: Liberty MY08 Tuned by STI
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28511

Postby Tonic » Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:06 pm

ferret89 wrote:
Tonic wrote:400ml every 1,000 km since new..... But at one stage lost a lot and did the big end.

The H6 is known to consume oil a bit more than the EJ25 I thought, shouldn't be running through much if any on a new engine (EJ)

Subaru says tolerance is 500ml per 1,000km.
Tonic

Postby trolley » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:05 pm

Right-e-o so the wizard also known as Matt 'Kido' Tuning identified a malfunctioning OCV on the drivers side during a tuneup. I need to top it up with a little more oil, but the new valve is in so hopefully that helps the consumption issue.

If you saw some references to bending the bracket instead of taking it off (major pain), this is what worked for me:

Original bracket position (taken after I put in the new valve):

After bending it out, notice the right hand side resting on the plastic doohicky:

Just take out the top bolt of the bracket, don't worry about the one hidden down below, or over to the left in those pics. Also need to remove the intake hose and pull out the two coolant lines shown in the picture. Easy! Just don't drop a screwdriver down behind the headlight, and spend 20 minutes trying to fish it out like I did.
trolley

Postby bigBADbenny » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:44 pm

Lol!
My oil use is up a little and the rear main seal or AOS is the likely culprit.
So, in having a stock rebuilt spare being done for the 250k tb service means I'll be able to try out some interesting tinfoil hat snake oil cures with relative impunity.

What I've witnessed rebuilding the spare is engines get hot, and really varnish up internally.
I think it's brought on by a combination of things, eg a dud oe build, soft break in, crap oil, 10000k+ service interval, the stock serial fuel system, uel header and a hot turbo on the same side of the block etc, etc.

This varnishing extends to the oil rails on the piston, which totally gum up.
As much as I'd like to flush the entire crank case with alkaline hot wash, or DIY sea foam (on the original engine, still running relatively well in the car, apparently this simply won't pass even varnished oil rails.

Perhaps running on E85 could work?
I'm defo gonna try some oil etc additives from a local vendor.
If it's going to work at all, my car is certainly a great candidate.
bigBADbenny

Postby Tonic » Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:27 am

Tonic wrote:
ferret89 wrote:

Subaru says tolerance is 500ml per 1,000km.

Yep they told me that too..... Think problem was that it was a Subaru company car (not demo) and they didn't service it until I bought it .... At 5,000km. Maybe if they ran it in right and did the 1,000km service as they should have it wouldn't eat so much.... But now 200,000 km later I am used to checking every 1,000kms.... Which is basically weekly...

Wifey and accountant says it is time to upgrade car but it is a solid drive still.... Mind you the focus Rs, anticipated Honda type r, and even the new Mazda cx3 are tempting little drives....
Tonic

Next

Return to 2.5T engine specific