My In-Dash Nexus 7 Project

Stereos, amps, phone kits, Navi...

Re: My In-Dash Nexus 7 Project

Postby bigBADbenny » Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:40 am

boofbuscus wrote:
boofbuscus wrote:Make your own 28/24AWG cable.

Any idea how to make my own, are there any guides online that you know of or any tips?
I'm pretty good with electronics and soldering but wouldn't know where to start.
Do I butcher an old cable and install my own wires or somehow buy usb ends to solder to?

Yep just get a soldering iron, solder and heatshrink.
Find the chunkiest cables with the appropriate ends, cut and join as per the guides, give yourself plenty of length incase you stuff up.
The thicker wires are easy to solder.
There's also guides for adding a switchable resistor to toggle between data and charge modes required by some (not all) devices.
https://www.google.com.au/search?q=diy+ ... ent=safari

bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby boofbuscus » Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:36 pm

Hey all, so I've got my nexus 7 rooted to timur kernel and starting to collect my parts, but even after a lot of research I'm really confused how some of these things to together.

To interface with the facelift head unit (MY07 McIntosh PF-28241) I will need a device such as:
- anycarlink
- grom usb3 or bt3
- fs-21 (i think they're discontinuted)

Do all these interface with the car through the same type of plug? For the life of me I can't find a picture of the rear of the facelift headunit to see what kind of plugs it has. Does it have rca built in?

Basically I want the nexus 7 tablet to use a utb otg cable to a usb hub, then plug in a usb dac into that which will pass audio to the headunit rather than aux. The Behringer UCA202 is good but how does this then plug into the headunit?? Or does it go into one of the devices I listed above? The uca202 has rca looking outputs but looking at the anycarlink and grom I can't see how rca would go into them?

Can someone make sense of all this and explain it to me haha
boofbuscus

Postby TwistdInfinity » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:00 pm

Sorry if this has been covered before, too much in this thread to go back and read.

I took my facelift head unit out years ago so I can't remember.

Is there an Aux in 3.5mm port in the stock head unit? From the 202 dac just run rca to 3.5mm cable to the Aux in on the head unit?
TwistdInfinity

Car: MY07 Liberty Wagon Pearl White

Postby HyRax » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:11 pm

TwistdInfinity wrote:Is there an Aux in 3.5mm port in the stock head unit? From the 202 dac just run rca to 3.5mm cable to the Aux in on the head unit?

No. There's an input for the official over-engineer 3.5mm jack accessory that goes in the centre console. You have to unplug the steering wheel control plug from the back of the headunit, plug in the replacement plug that provides the 3.5mm jack, and then reconnect the steering wheel controls onto the daughter socket provided to retain those controls.
I was going to procrastinate, but I put it off...
HyRax

Car: ADM MY19 3.6R Outback
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15482

Postby SIMO888 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:20 am

Was wondering if anyone can help as you cant buy the facia kit from japan parts anymore and AVO want $330 aust to sent it out I was wondering if I got one from a wrecker how hard would it to mod it and has anyone else done or attempted this in the past if so I could really do with your help
SIMO888

Car: iberty tuned by sti MY07

Postby TwistdInfinity » Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:06 pm

Is that 330 for the replacement headunit to give a double-din or to turn the top cubby into a double din unit?

If it's the bottom unit you would have more luck maybe, with some creative trim panels.

If it's the top cubby unit it'd be hard as the air vents on the replacement unit are actually skinnier to give more width
TwistdInfinity

Car: MY07 Liberty Wagon Pearl White

Postby SIMO888 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:50 pm

TwistdInfinity its the top cubby where the air vents are located

Also just a general question for everyone when doing the nexus tablets what are some of the best programs to use overall for things like setting up the tablet for the car, audio, movies, sound player, Torque pro ect ect
SIMO888

Car: iberty tuned by sti MY07

Postby TheFirstEskimo » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:49 pm

I'm currently in the middle of my second Nexus 7 install. Im upgrading to a 2013 Wifi model. I can safety say its as hard, if not harder than the first time around. I have forgotten pretty much everything :( Anyway, everything is up and running and ready to install now, but what I want to know is has anyone successfully installed a hands free kit that integrates with the Nexus? That means phone to handsfree and then to Nexus, either by DAC or by USB hub? I've found a few relevant posts online but I know we've got some pretty cluey people right here in the forum :D
TheFirstEskimo

Car: MY07 Liberty GT Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=21725

Postby TheFirstEskimo » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:04 am

SIMO888 wrote:TwistdInfinity its the top cubby where the air vents are located

Also just a general question for everyone when doing the nexus tablets what are some of the best programs to use overall for things like setting up the tablet for the car, audio, movies, sound player, Torque pro ect ect

I use winamp for music, MX Player for video and Torque Pro for car management
TheFirstEskimo

Postby Kanter » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:34 pm

I'm starting to get all the bits and pieces together for a nexus install, and I was wondering if the FSL-21 was necessary or if it would work with the behringer DAC connected to the Macintosh via the Subaru Aux in kit :?:

I won't look for the relocation kit either as the current clock is pretty useless. Having it disconnected won't have any effect, right?

Any chance someone has a Subaru 7" AV Panel Kit lying around? :mrgreen:
Kanter

Car: 07 Liberty GT Spec.B

Postby TheFirstEskimo » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:23 am

Kanter wrote:I'm starting to get all the bits and pieces together for a nexus install, and I was wondering if the FSL-21 was necessary or if it would work with the behringer DAC connected to the Macintosh via the Subaru Aux in kit :?:

I won't look for the relocation kit either as the current clock is pretty useless. Having it disconnected won't have any effect, right?

Any chance someone has a Subaru 7" AV Panel Kit lying around? :mrgreen:

It works perfectly with the DAC connected via Aux in kit, that's the way mine is setup. Having the clock disconnected won't affect anything. As far as I know the AV panel kits aren't made anymore, making them as rare as rocking horse shit. If your feeling brave you can make your own.
TheFirstEskimo

Postby phly » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:32 pm

The biggest issue with having no clock on prefacelift models is you also get rid of the bright button to turn up the dash illumination if you have your lights on in the morning. Not sure how it is for postfacelift models though
phly

Car: '05 Liberty GT Sedan 5EAT

Postby McDoof » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:51 pm

Set it up like mine. The clock stays installed but hidden behind the tablet so your bright button is reachable.
From my budget install http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=30559
McDoof

Car: MY05 3.0R SpecB 6MT
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=26449

Postby Kanter » Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:03 pm

Yep I went through your install with interest, good stuff! I'll probably end up doing it this way if I don't have luck with the fascia.
However I like the almost unnoticeable integration of the tablet with the AV kit, it looks standard

On the post-facelift models, the clock is just a clock, the dash illumination is set on the right of the steering wheel, next to the mirrors controls, and all the consumption, range info... are under the tachometer
Kanter

Car: 07 Liberty GT Spec.B

Postby McDoof » Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:55 pm

I'm kinda glad I went this way. I've ended up having to pull out the tablet a few times. In the beginning anyway. Now that's it's stable if probably like the fascia too.
McDoof

Car: MY05 3.0R SpecB 6MT
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=26449

PreviousNext

Return to Audio options