Clay bar

Detaling and car washing techniques

Clay bar

Postby Gadgit7 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:46 pm

Started detailing the new Liberty today. Good wash first. Then I did something I've never done before....used a clay bar. It's gonna take a while to explain how it went so be patient please guys and gals....

BLOODY HELL THATS IMPRESSIVE ! :)
Gadgit7

Re: Clay bar

Postby JTR » Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:07 am

Gadgit7 wrote:Started detailing the new Liberty today. Good wash first. Then I did something I've never done before....used a clay bar. It's gonna take a while to explain how it went so be patient please guys and gals....

BLOODY HELL THATS IMPRESSIVE ! :)

Yep, nothing like a good old clay block to bring back that smoothness to your paintwork and windows but whatever you do don't drop it or its game over :D What brands/products did you decide to go with for your detail?
JTR

Car: Liberty 3.0 Spec B

Postby Gadgit7 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:35 am

Using a mothers clay bar and instant detailer kit,then meguirs mirror finish swirl removal polish and then meguirs ultimate wax. Using mothers surface and window cleaner on the glass. Have meguirs cloths as well.
Amazed how much better the black looks just after clay bar treatment!
Hard work but well worth the effort :)
Gadgit7

Postby craig_ » Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:30 pm

Nothing like admiring 6 hours of hard work on your car. Find yourself a good spray wax to use while / after drying to keep the wax protection up.

Have look at the autoglym aqua wax, for example.
craig_

Car: MY03 RX & MY10 XT

Postby Shaheenis » Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:37 pm

You don't need to waste money on auto detailer you can clay your car with wash soap (obviously rinse and wash first) and while still wet throw some more suds on and go for it. You want to clay immediately after you wash anyway to make sure there is no grit sitting on the paint work. Works a charm though doesn't it ;) You can use it one windows also.
Shaheenis
A few sensible mods and tuned by Matt (Kido).
Link to Member Profile
Link to photos of both wagons and intro page
Shaheenis

Car: Pearl White MY07 GTB Wagon 6MT

Postby JTR » Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:09 am

craig_ wrote:Nothing like admiring 6 hours of hard work on your car. Find yourself a good spray wax to use while / after drying to keep the wax protection up.

Have look at the autoglym aqua wax, for example.

Or if you prefer to use a sealant have a look at Nanolex Washcoat or Dodo Juice Supernatural Acrylic Spritz, both offer months of protection.

Shaheenis wrote:You don't need to waste money on auto detailer you can clay your car with wash soap (obviously rinse and wash first) and while still wet throw some more suds on and go for it. You want to clay immediately after you wash anyway to make sure there is no grit sitting on the paint work. Works a charm though doesn't it ;) You can use it one windows also.

I would be careful doing it this way as you could add scratches to your vehicle. I use Dodo Juice Born Slippy whenever I have to clay block a car, very effective and makes 2.5L of lube www.jtrautocare.com.au/product/born-slippy-concentrate/
JTR

Postby Shaheenis » Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:28 pm

Shaheenis wrote:You don't need to waste money on auto detailer you can clay your car with wash soap (obviously rinse and wash first) and while still wet throw some more suds on and go for it. You want to clay immediately after you wash anyway to make sure there is no grit sitting on the paint work. Works a charm though doesn't it ;) You can use it one windows also.

JTR wrote:
craig_ wrote:I would be careful doing it this way as you could add scratches to your vehicle. I use Dodo Juice Born Slippy whenever I have to clay block a car, very effective and makes 2.5L of lube http://www.jtrautocare.com.au/product/b ... ncentrate/

If Gary from Ammo NYC says it is ok then it is ok ;). Like I said you need to wash the car first so you are at no more risk of adding scratches. This will save you a lot on spray although the spray is worth having to use for getting those bits you missed once the car is dry just prior to polishing or waxing/sealing. Never let the clay sit in your wash bucket though ;). I have two pieces of clay, one for each car and my white liberty always gets the newest piece ;).
Shaheenis
Link to Member Profile
Shaheenis

Postby peadya100 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:22 pm

Both the merguiars and mothers clay bars come with the quick detailer spray... agreed its not necessary, but its free :D

Agreed on the dodo juice products... their stuff is amazing!
Diamond Works SI-DRIVE Covers - Subaru Liberty/Legacy MY07 to MY09

https://www.facebook...aruDiamondWorks
subaru.diamondworks@gmail.com
peadya100
-stickered-

Car: 2007 Liberty GT-B Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=21072

Postby Flat6Estate » Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:46 am

What is the best process??

1 wash Car
2 leave wet
3 clay bar
4 wax\sealant

?????????

I only ever knew it as wash, chamois, polish, wax. Obviously things have changed over time
MY08 Spec B 3.0L Manual Wagon
1998 Yamaha YZF600R Thundercat - a bit broken :-o
Flat6Estate
formerly Timbo_rs2500

Car: 2007 MY08 Liberty Wagon 3RB 6spd
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=32189&p=425885#p425885

Postby Gadgit7 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:45 am

My process was,

Wash
Dry
Clay bar with instant detailer as lubricant
Polish twice
Ultimate wax twice

Worked really well!
Gadgit7

Postby Gadgit7 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:03 am

Pics don't really do it justice
image.jpg
image.jpg (81 KiB) Viewed 12206 times
Still have wheels to do but you get the idea.

image.jpg
image.jpg (54.48 KiB) Viewed 12206 times
Gadgit7

Postby JTR » Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:11 pm

Gadgit7 wrote:My process was,

Wash
Dry
Clay bar with instant detailer as lubricant
Polish twice
Ultimate wax twice

Worked really well!

^this.
I also do a pre wash with snow foam. And depending on your paintwork, do 1,2 or 3 stage polish, this is where a RO buffer comes in handy. Then finish with wax and/or sealant.
JTR

Postby Shaheenis » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:32 pm

It is all dependent on how much time you have and what condition your paint is in and basically how meticulous you are.

A routine maintenance (let's say fortnightly wash) for me would be:

1) Spray wheels with wheel cleaner and rinse,
    2) Rinse entire car,
    3) Snowfoam if you have it (I don't),
    4) Wash car top down rinsing mitt frequently preferably with two bucket system and grit guards, wheels last with separate sponge/mitt,
    5) Full rinse,
    6) Microfibre waffle for drying,
    7) Quality spray wax for maintenance

Once every 3mths or so I would do a full clean as above but instead of step 7, clay the car instead and then apply wax or sealant (I use Poorboys White Diamond glaze and then EX Sealant). Driveclean videos show good technique for clay, light pressure but fast action works best. A good sealant should last around 3 months and hence the regular spray wax maintenance.

I did a 3 stage paint correction on mine as a once off and will probably do an annual 2 stage. You want to polish as infrequently as necessary as you are removing paint every time you do it.
Shaheenis
Link to Member Profile
Shaheenis

Postby Gadgit7 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:12 am

Thanks for the tips guys. Is there any product out there that will stop dust sticking to the back of the car? I live down a dirt road so dust is always a problem.
Gadgit7

Postby Shaheenis » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:52 pm

If you find something let me know. Unfortunately no mater how clean my car is, the dirt/dust accumulates very quickly at the tailgate section.
Shaheenis
Link to Member Profile
Shaheenis

Next

Return to Detailing