Does anyone use (or know of) Blouch 3Port Boost Solenoids?

Posts specific to the 2.5 litre turbo engine

Does anyone use (or know of) Blouch 3Port Boost Solenoids?

Postby tom_kauf » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:26 am

Can anyone help (or know of any Subaru owner eg WRX/Forester) with one of these Blouch 3Port Boost Solenoid installed? The damn bracket just doesn't seem to fit! And that was the main reason I thought these would be good, because I don't want to just cable-tie the solenoid somewhere. The hose install should be fine, it's just the damn bracket.

Any ideas?? :?

Matt(KiDo) suggested to buy one from the link below, but I can't get it to fit anywhere near the stock location. The screw hole doesn't line up no matter how I rotate it. And there's no info on them, or any instructions with them :angry2: .

http://www.prospeedracing.com.au/produc ... -play.html

To add to the confusion, a local friend Tim (also a GTSpecB owner) ordered the exact same one and the bracket is totally different. Pictures of my black one is below, and his blue one below that.

I asked Matt, and he just said that it's an STi one but will work fine.
From the pictures in the other link below, it looks like Tim's one is an STi one, and mine is right. But, still doesn't seem to fit.

http://www.prospeedracing.com.au/produc ... -play.html

Last edited by tom_kauf on Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[Stealth & Speed - Comfort & Practicality]: My 2008 MY09 GT SpecB Wagon - Manual 200,000km
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Car: 2008 Liberty GT SpecB Manual Wagon

Re: Does anyone use (or know of) Blouch 3Port Boost Solenoid

Postby kiwigene » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:22 pm

Can't see your images for some reason, but if you can adjust/move/modify your bracket to mimic the Cobb 3-port it will fit.
It looks from the webpages that the Blouch one you have is not specific to the LGT.

http://www.cobbtuning.com/products/subaru-3-port-boost-control-solenoid-bcs

I have one of these and Matt had it installed in 5 mins with no issues.
I now have a silicone inlet - it's a much tighter fit, but still no problem.

More info in the Cobb manual, with a picture showing how it should look (page 6).

https://cobb.app.box.com/715750instructions
--
Gene
kiwigene
-stickered-

Car: MY07 GT-B Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=22087

Postby tom_kauf » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:28 pm

kiwigene wrote:Can't see your images for some reason, but if you can adjust/move/modify your bracket to mimic the Cobb 3-port it will fit.

http://www.cobbtuning.com/products/subaru-3-port-boost-control-solenoid-bcs

I have one of these and Matt had it installed in 5 mins with no issues.
I now have a silicone inlet - it's a much tighter fit, but still no problem.

More info in the Cobb manual, with a picture showing how it should look (page 6).

https://cobb.app.box.com/715750instructions

Oh, ok. Must be Tinypic (the image sharing site I use). They come up on my PC and on my newer work phone, but not on my older phone.
Have a look on a computer if you can at some stage, your feedback is appreciated :).

Cool, thank you! I will compare the Cobb one to mine and possibly get it modified or something custom made.
[Stealth & Speed - Comfort & Practicality]: My 2008 MY09 GT SpecB Wagon - Manual 200,000km
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Postby kiwigene » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:36 pm

tom_kauf wrote:Oh, ok. Must be Tinypic (the image sharing site I use). They come up on my PC and on my newer work phone, but not on my older phone.
Have a look on a computer if you can at some stage, your feedback is appreciated :).

I am on a computer :) Firefox. But maybe, since I'm at work, Tinypic may be blocked. Don't seem to have issues with Photo Bucket though.

In any case I'll check again at home tonight. But if you can modify the bracket all should be good. Just make it look like the one in the Cobb manual.

PS: Matt advised me to get the Cobb one, because it had a bracket which fits...
--
Gene
kiwigene
-stickered-

Postby tom_kauf » Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:10 pm

Ah, ok - yeah it may be blocked.

That'd be good, thanks :D.

Yeah, I'll see how I go 8)
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Postby kiwigene » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:23 pm

Any luck? If you can remove the bracket from the solenoid you might be able to bend it by 90 degs (so the nut can rest under the end of the solenoid) and rotate it 90 degs.
--
Gene
kiwigene
-stickered-

Postby tom_kauf » Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:46 am

kiwigene wrote:Any luck? If you can remove the bracket from the solenoid you might be able to bend it by 90 degs (so the nut can rest under the end of the solenoid) and rotate it 90 degs.

Haven't attempted it yet (the car isn't back until next weekend, my gf has it). And I'd like to test-fit it while adjusting. But yeah, I think bending it will be the plan :).

The solenoid has 2 allen-key-head screws, so that'll be easy to remove. The Cobb pictures will help a lot. I think a 90deg bend might not be possible because the threaded raised section of the bracket will touch the solenoid. But as long as clearance underneath it is enough, a 45deg bend will easily be possible.

Shame that I have to wait another week or so, but if it doesn't work, I'll just get a Cobb one.

Btw, any idea on where to get metal hose connectors (like what comes standard with the Cobb)? I noticed one of my plastic ones has a bit of a bend in it already, and another has a groove right where the hose seals at the widest point.

*EDIT, I think I found some. Not specific to Boost Solenoids, so hopefully they fit (1/4" screw fitting to 1/8" barb). Some sold specifically for the boost solenoids would be best, since they're most likely to fit.

And where did you buy your Cobb one? Cobb wants something like $80 postage if I enter my details on their website. Rally Sport Direct should be more reasonable, but after I confirmed with them that their pictures are wrong (unit is blue in them, but is actually black these days), they took the item off their site to update the pictures.
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Postby kiwigene » Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:09 pm

I bought mine from Cobb directly but got free shipping to my Borderlinx depot. Borderlinx shipping to Oz was about $30 USD (that was with 15% off since it was my first shipment).

Everyone who buys stuff from UK/USA should get a "reshipper" account. Not everything will be cheaper postage, but heaps of stuff is. They also repack and combine packages from different purchases.
Many US stores offer free shipping to US addresses and some US stores won't ship internationally - a reshipper helps with these situations.

I think if you can afford it, just get the Cobb one. Then resell the Blouch to a WRX owner.
--
Gene
kiwigene
-stickered-

Postby tom_kauf » Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:22 pm

kiwigene wrote:I bought mine from Cobb directly but got free shipping to my Borderlinx depot. Borderlinx shipping to Oz was about $30 USD (that was with 15% off since it was my first shipment).

Everyone who buys stuff from UK/USA should get a "reshipper" account. Not everything will be cheaper postage, but heaps of stuff is. They also repack and combine packages from different purchases.
Many US stores offer free shipping to US addresses and some US stores won't ship internationally - a reshipper helps with these situations.

I think if you can afford it, just get the Cobb one. Then resell the Blouch to a WRX owner.

Sweet, thank you! Yeah I have used a re-shipper once before. I should use them again - I haven't thought about it in this case. I think Cobb even has free shipping atm.

Yeah, good idea - I'll post on a WRX forum :)
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Postby tom_kauf » Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:40 pm

The only other Cobb 3Port retailer I could find is RallySportDirect. Even they want over $50 just for postage :shock: .

I'm gonna use the freight forwarder I once used before: www.shipito.com . Thanks for reminding me about them :) .
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Postby db1 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:13 pm

Not sure if its a good price but, Wolf Racing products has them for $165 delivered. I've used them a few times, good to deal with.

http://www.wolfracingproducts.com.au/su ... p-243.html
db1

Car: MY08 GTB

Postby tom_kauf » Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:24 pm

db1 wrote:Not sure if its a good price but, Wolf Racing products has them for $165 delivered. I've used them a few times, good to deal with.

http://www.wolfracingproducts.com.au/su ... p-243.html

Ok, cool - thanks for the tip. :) The price difference is probably more than what postage will be, but I'll see.
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Postby tom_kauf » Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:40 pm

I had a chance to sell my Blouch 3Port, so I did that and bought a Cobb one with a bracket that is specifically made for LGT 8). It's great!

Comes with metal hose connectors, which is better than the plastic Blouch ones imo.
Seems to be the same 'MAC' brand solenoid that Blouch and a lot of others eg Grimspeed use.

*Can highly recommend them for anyone who wants a professional looking install (no cable ties), and anyone too short on time to make a custom bracket.*

I also used the original clamps instead of cable ties for an extra-stock look, but they were a huge PITA to get on (the new silicon hoses have a thicker sidewall). They weren't made to be used on the new hose, I was just determined to lol. Thanks to Tim for giving me one of his clamps :D (he was happy with cable ties). The stock setup only has 4, but you need a toal of 5 - or just use the cable ties provided.

tom_kauf
-stickered-

Postby kiwigene » Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:48 pm

Nice work. Looks just like my original install (before silicone intake went in) :wink:

Assume you have it retuned?
--
Gene
kiwigene
-stickered-

Postby tom_kauf » Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:31 pm

kiwigene wrote:Nice work. Looks just like my original install (before silicone intake went in) :wink:

Assume you have it retuned?

Ah ok, cool. I think because of noise, I'll keep the stock intake - but they are great in every other way.

Yeah, Matt/KiDo sent me the new tune a while ago. But because I waited until I had a 3Port that fitted well, I only just loaded the new tune.
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Next

Return to 2.5T engine specific