8k budget build. Best advise on value for money please.

Posts specific to the 2.5 litre turbo engine

8k budget build. Best advise on value for money please.

Postby AJ RS » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:50 am

Sent my newly acquired Liberty GT-B TBSTI in for its 112000 k service with a long time trusted local workshop Autocraft in Newcastle. I hung out with Marshal for a bit while we checked it over as it was the first chance he'd got to see the new ride..
I should never have sold my STI..
The vehicle, as suspected had not been looked after that well. And the final cherry on top is that it looks to have a blown head gasket also. So the money I put back in the bank from the sale of the STI will now be going into an engine build for the Liberty. Not a good time for my wife and I as we are expecting our first in June but rather than flick the car off to some poor suspecting person, or cremate it and cash in (joking) we will cough up the bickies and do a full rebuild using an STI short block and reco my heads. My quote is looking to be around the 7-8 mark fully done however I'm wondering if we would be better doing a complete used sti engine and ecu swap.. For around the same cash..

Thoughts and recommendations please.. Cheers
92 RS Liberty wag -SOLD
03 WRX Hatch -SOLD
12 WRX STI Hatch -SOLD
08 Liberty GT-B Tuned by STI
07 Jeep JKU Rubicon
70 Jeep CJ5
10 Honda CRF450x
AJ RS

Car: MY08 Subaru GTB tuned by STI wagon

Re: 8k budget build. Best advise on value for money please.

Postby blacktop™ » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:25 am

Jeez that's some bad luck...didn't you get it inspected by a mechanic?

Anyhoo, check out this thread...plenty of good info re EJ25 rebuilds.

http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=23280
blacktop™

Car: MY07 GT spec.B wagon 6MT

Postby GONEWALKABOUT » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:03 am

unlucky mate! not many kms either. What would be the price difference between a rebuild and potentially just a new block. Less labour involved i would suspect and everything is brand new which is much better than effectively 'fixing' it.

EDIT: sorry so on further reading you are looking at buying another short block and reco-ing that? where did that decision come from?
GONEWALKABOUT

Postby AJ RS » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:20 am

No I didn't have time to get it checked over. And I knew it had a few issues when I bought it so I used that as my bargaining point. I did rush into it as I needed a car the next day as I work away and my old CJ5 has no roof, so no travelling away for a week in that!
I did have a look at that thread, it's a good read.

Basically I could pick up a used low ks sti complete engine from a 2011 sti with 60,000ks on it. I'm thinking for the same cost as what it would be to build a new engine from a new sti short block and re use my everything else. Reco my heads of coarse.
So my question is, bang for buck, is it better to rebuild my motor while its out, by adding the EJ257 bottom end, reco my heads and re assemble? For the total of around 7-8k. Or do a complete swap out to a complete second hand STI engine, ECU and tune for a similar cost.
If I do that I will have better heads, cam, intake and decent power as soon as I turn the key.

Or should I throw in some forged pistons to then sti short block build, bigger turbo new clutch, exhaust and tune. I'd be over the 8k mark if I go down that path..

Either way the goal is to not spend money and have the same level of performance. If Im parting with bulk cash then I want to see, feel a substantial increase in power.

So in short, if you were in my position, how would you best spend 8k max achieving this goal while your starting point is an EJ255 with a cracked head gasket?
92 RS Liberty wag -SOLD
03 WRX Hatch -SOLD
12 WRX STI Hatch -SOLD
07 Jeep JKU Rubicon
70 Jeep CJ5
10 Honda CRF450x
AJ RS

Postby GONEWALKABOUT » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:33 am

AJ RS wrote:Basically I could pick up a used low ks sti complete engine from a 2011 sti with 60,000ks on it. I'm thinking for the same cost as what it would be to build a new engine from a new sti short block and re use my everything else. Reco my heads of coarse.

Well being in your situation stay away from the infinity deep quest for power as you will never be satisfied and will end up spending a lot more money that just this. So rule out forged internals etc. Just get the car going.
I wouldnt imagine that buying that sti engine and just straight dropping it in would cost 8k?
Not sure what you mean by building a new engine from a new short block..
Do you just mean buying the short block and putting your existing gear on it?
I would probably just go the Used block, depending on what the going prices are
GONEWALKABOUT

Postby AJ RS » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:14 pm

Precisely. Build a new motor based on the sti bottom end using my exisiting parts. That's what im currently quoted for.

Sorry it's a bit hard to write at the mo, We've had no power for 2 days due to the storms and I'm on the iPad. What a week...
92 RS Liberty wag -SOLD
03 WRX Hatch -SOLD
12 WRX STI Hatch -SOLD
07 Jeep JKU Rubicon
70 Jeep CJ5
10 Honda CRF450x
AJ RS

Postby GONEWALKABOUT » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:42 pm

i would imagine its cheaper to get the used block as you should have to spend nearly as much on labour
GONEWALKABOUT

Postby AJ RS » Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:17 pm

I just had a lengthy discussion with a guy selling a used 2011 STI engine and loom. He bailed out on his conversion due to massive wiring headaches and he was swapping it into a WRX of the same year! So I can only imagine the wiring headaches I would run into when stripping out the Liberty loom for the sti loom. It would run however I'd loose a few things along the way.. Starting to re think my plan now. May even sell the vehicle at a loss.. I'll have a think about it and let you know the plan.
92 RS Liberty wag -SOLD
03 WRX Hatch -SOLD
12 WRX STI Hatch -SOLD
07 Jeep JKU Rubicon
70 Jeep CJ5
10 Honda CRF450x
AJ RS

Postby GONEWALKABOUT » Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:28 pm

ahh dear, all the best mate!
Keep in mind though a car that doesnt run/work isnt work much at.. almost better of fixing it and then selling it. Unless you are a good salesman
GONEWALKABOUT

Postby KiDo_Tuning » Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:37 pm

AJ RS wrote:I just had a lengthy discussion with a guy selling a used 2011 STI engine and loom. He bailed out on his conversion due to massive wiring headaches and he was swapping it into a WRX of the same year! So I can only imagine the wiring headaches I would run into when stripping out the Liberty loom for the sti loom. It would run however I'd loose a few things along the way.. Starting to re think my plan now. May even sell the vehicle at a loss.. I'll have a think about it and let you know the plan.

Wiring loom is not that difficult for the STi to WRX conversion. Fitting it to a LGT is a nightmare as the ECU is not compatible with the LGT dash etc

Honestly, find a 2nd hand 07-09 LGT motor or even an MY09 to MY13 WRX motor/turbo and swap the whole lot in. Natalie here did it, saved herself a LOT of money and sold bits off old engine to recoup costs.
KiDo Racing Tunes Info: HERE

Great minds discuss ideas;
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people
KiDo_Tuning

Car: Subarus + Nissans

Postby norbs » Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:49 pm

Let me understand this. You've just got a blown HG and the suggestions are for a new/second hand engine? Mate., get the HG fixed and at the same time do some head work. If budget allows slot in some forged pistons. Or am I reading this wrong??
'05 Lib GT with a few mods :-)
norbs

Postby KiDo_Tuning » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:29 pm

norbs wrote:Let me understand this. You've just got a blown HG and the suggestions are for a new/second hand engine? Mate., get the HG fixed and at the same time do some head work. If budget allows slot in some forged pistons. Or am I reading this wrong??

Its Newcastle. HG prices are ludicrous
KiDo Racing Tunes Info: HERE

Great minds discuss ideas;
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people
KiDo_Tuning

Car: Subarus + Nissans

Postby AJ RS » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:22 pm

3.5k roughly for just the head gaskets and fix up the heads. It's still driveable, I just need to top up the water occasionally. You wouldn't know it's got HG issues without doing the tell tail checks. Might even do that and piss it off.
I feel like driving it into old mates house who I bought it off just a month or two ago. My fault for rushing into it. Lesson learned. Hope he gets a ton of bad karma.
92 RS Liberty wag -SOLD
03 WRX Hatch -SOLD
12 WRX STI Hatch -SOLD
07 Jeep JKU Rubicon
70 Jeep CJ5
10 Honda CRF450x
AJ RS

Postby AJ RS » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:28 pm

norbs wrote:Let me understand this. You've just got a blown HG and the suggestions are for a new/second hand engine? Mate., get the HG fixed and at the same time do some head work. If budget allows slot in some forged pistons. Or am I reading this wrong??

The reason I was going to do a sti bottom end conversion while it's out is so that down the track I can have a stronger platform for when the time comes, and it always does, to squeeze more relatable power out of it.
Probably a fking waste of time anyway. Paid 25k for a car with HG issues. I'll sell it now for 20k and go buy something else I think.
92 RS Liberty wag -SOLD
03 WRX Hatch -SOLD
12 WRX STI Hatch -SOLD
07 Jeep JKU Rubicon
70 Jeep CJ5
10 Honda CRF450x
AJ RS

Postby jslayz » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:35 pm

Have you called a reputable Sydney workshop to discuss options?

I would go as norbs suggestion HG fix and forged pistons, put motor back in and enjoy.

J
CURRENT - ATP GTX 3576 - 22psi - 283.7awkw
OLD - Dom 1.5Xtr - Last dyno 254ahkw, previous 238ahkw, first 224awkw.
My journey thread: http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15523
My Lib Pics here: http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15523&start=570#p370656
jslayz

Car: 2005 Liberty GT Wagon

Next

Return to 2.5T engine specific