Fuel Consumption on 3.0

Posts specific to the 3.0 litre NA H6 engine

Re: Fuel Consumption on 3.0

Postby patrickbateman » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:47 pm

sox wrote:Just bought my MY07 Spec.B 3.0R wagon shows 14.6l/100 and higher that's a V8 consumption wow! Don't get me wrong i love this performance engine but surely that's too high. All my driving is city, stop /start and running shell 95. Had a ECU light come on the other day nice surprise, had it checked at dealer now my cats are gone.

While at dealer i decided to do a 75K service, that's minor oil and filters. Now my fuel Eco is 12l/100, i think my cats are also contributing to bad fuel consumption. Organizing to replace my cats will keep you posted to see if i get better. :cry:

I suggest you read this whole thread - those sorts of numbers are actually pretty decent for city driving in this car. People claiming 10 litres/100km or lower almost all end up revealing that they cruise along on empty 80-100km/h roads half the time.

I drive in stop start traffic every day and fuel consumption on a tank is rarely below the 15l/100km level, usually 16l/100km.

Basically you have a fairly large capacity, heavy engine that takes a bit of a push to get going from a stopped start. The car itself isn't exactly light compared to an Impreza or something either. You are then taking that engine and constantly taking off, stopping, taking off, stopping. Pretty much the most inefficient way you could ever drive.

If yours is anything like mine, you'll keep getting those numbers in the city, but out on the highway they'll drop by 5l/100km. I've had mine compression tested, sensors checked, tuned (properly). Got me a lot more power but no improvement in fuel economy in the city!
patrickbateman

Car: 2005 3.0r-b

Postby sox » Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:08 pm

patrickbateman wrote:
sox wrote:Just bought my MY07 Spec.B 3.0R wagon shows 14.6l/100 and higher that's a V8 consumption wow! Don't get me wrong i love this performance engine but surely that's too high. All my driving is city, stop /start and running shell 95. Had a ECU light come on the other day nice surprise, had it checked at dealer now my cats are gone.

While at dealer i decided to do a 75K service, that's minor oil and filters. Now my fuel Eco is 12l/100, i think my cats are also contributing to bad fuel consumption. Organizing to replace my cats will keep you posted to see if i get better. :cry:

I suggest you read this whole thread - those sorts of numbers are actually pretty decent for city driving in this car. People claiming 10 litres/100km or lower almost all end up revealing that they cruise along on empty 80-100km/h roads half the time.

I drive in stop start traffic every day and fuel consumption on a tank is rarely below the 15l/100km level, usually 16l/100km.

Basically you have a fairly large capacity, heavy engine that takes a bit of a push to get going from a stopped start. The car itself isn't exactly light compared to an Impreza or something either. You are then taking that engine and constantly taking off, stopping, taking off, stopping. Pretty much the most inefficient way you could ever drive.

If yours is anything like mine, you'll keep getting those numbers in the city, but out on the highway they'll drop by 5l/100km. I've had mine compression tested, sensors checked, tuned (properly). Got me a lot more power but no improvement in fuel economy in the city!

I'm getting 13l/100 at the moment. This car weighs 1535kg about the same as a holden commodore wagon. I know its not the lightest and the engine is on the performance side, i have noticed it does take a lot of effort to start the car rolling. I will get a KiDo tune later on, and see what happens. It is a great engine anyway!!!
sox

Car: 2007 MY07 Liberty 3.0 R Spec.B Wagon

Postby geematt » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:28 pm

I have a MY06 3rb with 200k on the clock. Have owned since new and I have run on 95 for most of it's life (until recently, on 98 now) and typically get 10-12 around town (Melb) and 8-10 on highway/country trips depending on right foot/excitement level. In the recent months I have been travelling 220k per day commuting to regional project and have averaged around 9 l/100k. Typically get 520-600k before I chicken out and add fuel.
ps. Checked the "b" odometer 9998k - 9.2 l/100km
Mods: Pedders Extreme Coilovers | Whiteline bits | Raptor Headers | TCP Twin muffs | Cosworth Filter (!) | XRT ECU tune | ?? kw atw | Too old for stickers
geematt

Car: MY06 Liberty 3.0R-BSpec 6MT Wagz

Postby KiDo_Tuning » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:46 pm

patrickbateman wrote:

Forum member Nhim was previously running an S&J EcuTek tune. Feel free to ask him how his fuel economy has changed in the real world :)
KiDo Racing Tunes Info: HERE

Great minds discuss ideas;
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people
KiDo_Tuning

Car: Subarus + Nissans

Postby mekros » Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:44 pm

Post kidotune with my tyres at 40psi I am getting 12.5 L/100km in heavy Sydney in my outback commuting 12km one way.

I haven't done a freeway run to know how low I can get it.
mekros

Car: 2007 Outback R Premium

Postby Shiv » Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:31 pm

patrickbateman wrote:

I am exactly the same. I average on the wrong side 15L/100kms in my daily commute...

At least on the highway I get semi-decent economy of 9L/100kms which proves there is nothing "wrong" with my car.
MY08 'off-road spec' Outback 3.0R Premium -- 1"inch raised King Springs, 1"inch lifting blocks, SubaXtreme alloy front & rear bars, KIDO Tune, Valenti Style Tail Lights + much much more!
Shiv

Car: MY08 Outback 3.0R Premium
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=27335

Postby Evozn » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:47 am

I got around 420 (Blaze) from my last full tank on a Kido tune, I'm currently just filling around $50 each time my range hits around 40/30kms. I know a Liberty H6 wagon weighs around 1620kg, how much heavier is an Outback? Are there any things I can do to improve my range? Sensors, filters, yada yada? As a P plater I do drive like a "maniac" but am now very light footed due to being jobless. I also am planning to get an exhaust done, cat back at first, then a full system, how would that effect my economy?
Evozn

Car: Outback 3.0R Premium '05

Postby McDoof » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:44 am

I find that if I do a full tank of pure stop start traffic I get around 12.5 to 13l/100km and I have a heavy foot.
That drops down to mid 11s if I get some motorway driving in. This is on a MY05 with 140k on the clock and a kido tune. I'm pretty happy with that.
McDoof

Car: MY05 3.0R SpecB 6MT
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=26449

Postby patrickbateman » Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:13 am

KiDo_Tuning wrote:
patrickbateman wrote:

Forum member Nhim was previously running an S&J EcuTek tune. Feel free to ask him how his fuel economy has changed in the real world :)

Out of interest, what steps would be involved in getting rid of an EcuTek tune and getting one of yours? Hypothetically (as far as my other half is concerned, anyway).
patrickbateman

Car: 2005 3.0r-b

Postby Ric B » Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:38 pm

My SpecB is OK on fuel . I do quite a lot of stop start and short runs on the weekends . Work is 40kms away I get a good clean run in the morning and Stop start for a lot of the way home.
Averaging 10.5 to 11 per tank.
A recent trip to the SW through a bit of nice windy, hilly roads 550km round trip with two adults and two teens in the car 8.2l/100 and managed to get 640kms to that tank of fuel.
I drive S# most of the time and accelerate hard.
Ric B

Car: Liberty MY07 3.0R Spec B Manual

Postby nerdyfred07 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:43 pm

Bringing this back to life. Suburban driving not stuck in traffic as such but always stopping at lights. Average distance per drive I'd say is 12k one way.

Without air con, 2 people it's 11.4-12 per 100k. Went to the coast last time so 120k of highway. Got average down to 10.8 for that tank.

Im not sure if it's tuned ( doubt it as owned by retiree previously). Usually always 2.5 to 3k revs only :lol: as I've come from a 1.8L vehicle so not use to all this petrol burning.
nerdyfred07

Car: 2004 3.0R A/T stock

Postby McDoof » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:38 am

nerdyfred07 wrote:Bringing this back to life. Suburban driving not stuck in traffic as such but always stopping at lights. Average distance per drive I'd say is 12k one way.

Without air con, 2 people it's 11.4-12 per 100k. Went to the coast last time so 120k of highway. Got average down to 10.8 for that tank.

Im not sure if it's tuned ( doubt it as owned by retiree previously). Usually always 2.5 to 3k revs only :lol: as I've come from a 1.8L vehicle so not use to all this petrol burning.

Sounds pretty normal.
A tune should give you better economy on the motorway, but not much around town.
McDoof

Car: MY05 3.0R SpecB 6MT
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=26449

Postby mattmcc22 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:55 pm

On high ways my manual spec b sits around the 7.6l/100 km. normally drivin for me generally sits around 9-9.5. Heavy brisbane city morning/evening traffic sits around the 10-10.5 .
I almost always put my foot to the floor when taking of (Except when I am waiting for the car to warm up) this is with a kido rune btw. Since the tune 7000km or so ago my average is 9.6. Which I'm happy with as I live at lutwyche 10 min from the centre of brisbane. Before the tune my average was around 11 at that point I lived further out and it was pretty much 80km/h driving

Edit: it is also of note that while I do accelerate fast once I get to the speed I tend to drive quite conservatively e.g. avoid unnecessary braking and accelerating of traffic weaving
mattmcc22

Car: MY06 Liberty Spec B Sedan

Postby TOU6E » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:38 pm

Open roads on my 3.0 bp5 with my Thule roofracks including fairing gets me 10l/100kms
TOU6E

Car: BP5

Postby mr_sinistah » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:40 pm

mattmcc22 wrote:On high ways my manual spec b sits around the 7.6l/100 km. normally drivin for me generally sits around 9-9.5. Heavy brisbane city morning/evening traffic sits around the 10-10.5 .
I almost always put my foot to the floor when taking of (Except when I am waiting for the car to warm up) this is with a kido rune btw. Since the tune 7000km or so ago my average is 9.6. Which I'm happy with as I live at lutwyche 10 min from the centre of brisbane. Before the tune my average was around 11 at that point I lived further out and it was pretty much 80km/h driving

Edit: it is also of note that while I do accelerate fast once I get to the speed I tend to drive quite conservatively e.g. avoid unnecessary braking and accelerating of traffic weaving

Kido tune gets you that good economy too? Just wow. This might have to be my first 'major' mod. Or maybe shocks first as my LHF Bilsteins are knocking a little at carpark speeds :/
Last edited by mr_sinistah on Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
MY05 3.0R-B
mr_sinistah

Car: MY05 3.0R-B
Profile URL: IG: mr_tanzil

PreviousNext

Return to 3.0R & 3.6R engine specific