The USB/Aux-in/ipod compatibility superthread

Stereos, amps, phone kits, Navi...

Re: The USB/Aux-in/ipod compatibility superthread

Postby ysKn » Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:29 pm

kane2785 wrote:
ysKn wrote:
kane2785 wrote:Yes.
Also the Black wire on the multi pin white connector.

So I just pick one, right? I don't have to touch the one in the white connector?
Thanks for your help, not at all familiar with electronics. :)

Yep, pick the one that's easiest to get to. Solder is best, if you can. Crimp/Tap second, and a distant third is the 'ol Twist and Tape

Cheers!
Sorry, another really noob question. :?
Say I used this cable http://www.altronics.com.au/p/w3020-2-core-black-twin-audio-shielded-cable/ Red and White are Right and Left, and is the copper part what goes into AUX GND (top left pin in the photo)?
Is the copper part the shielding? Do I also connect it to the ground terminal of the 3.5mm socket mount?

Yes, I have a lot to learn... :)
ysKn

Car: MY07 Liberty

Postby kane2785 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:44 pm

Exactly. The bare copper is the sheild, and is connected to the AUX GND.
At the other end, it goes to the terminal closest the the socket input. The 'ring', terminal 1 in this: http://www.taydaelectronics.com/hugo/A-865.jpg
kane2785

Car: '07 tbSTi OBP 6MT Sedan

Postby ysKn » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:57 am

kane2785 wrote:Exactly. The bare copper is the sheild, and is connected to the AUX GND.
At the other end, it goes to the terminal closest the the socket input. The 'ring', terminal 1 in this: http://www.taydaelectronics.com/hugo/A-865.jpg

Thanks for your help, kane2785!
I installed it yesterday. :)
Tested and sounds good. Volume had to be turned up at around 25 with my Samsung GS3 at max, whereas with FM radio I keep it at around 15 usually (I don't like it too loud whilst driving).
Best of all, didn't have to pay Subaru $126 for a cable - I think I spent a total of $12.
ysKn

Car: MY07 Liberty

Postby Curley5959 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:07 pm

I recently got my Liberty Wagon, Gen 4, 3.0R Spec-B.

Looking at getting a bluetooth device for the car to answer calls, listen to music, use steering wheel controls etc.

Decided it is a choice between the GROM BT3 and the Anycarlink AL-1080B. Do either of these remove the CD Stacker functionality in a McIntosh PF-25511?

Also which one would be more compatible, from user experience. There are a lot of mixed reviews, and I know each unit has shown different results. Just wanting to get a little bit of info together before making the plunge.

Any help is much appreciated.
Curley5959

Car: 07 Forester XT
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=27640

Postby HardwareBoB » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:41 am

Curley5959 wrote:I recently got my Liberty Wagon, Gen 4, 3.0R Spec-B.

Looking at getting a bluetooth device for the car to answer calls, listen to music, use steering wheel controls etc.

Decided it is a choice between the GROM BT3 and the Anycarlink AL-1080B. Do either of these remove the CD Stacker functionality in a McIntosh PF-25511?

Also which one would be more compatible, from user experience. There are a lot of mixed reviews, and I know each unit has shown different results. Just wanting to get a little bit of info together before making the plunge.

I have an MY05 Gen 4 GT, and an Anycarlink AL-1080B. You push the 'disc' button down for a bit longer, and [CHR] comes up on the screen, and it thinks the anylink is an external CD changer. This doesn't change the function of the internal stacker at all. The next/previous track button works with bluetooth audio, and to answer calls.

Note that if you are using the CD player and your phone rings, you will have to manually switch to the anylink input. This is mildly irritating, but when it's just me in the car, I am using bluetooth 99% of the time.

Installation is pretty straightforward, and you should find some money from the previous owner(s) down in the centre console too :)
HardwareBoB

Car: MY05 GT 5MT Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=27514

Postby Curley5959 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:50 pm

HardwareBoB wrote:
Curley5959 wrote:I recently got my Liberty Wagon, Gen 4, 3.0R Spec-B.

I have an MY05 Gen 4 GT, and an Anycarlink AL-1080B. You push the 'disc' button down for a bit longer, and [CHR] comes up on the screen, and it thinks the anylink is an external CD changer. This doesn't change the function of the internal stacker at all. The next/previous track button works with bluetooth audio, and to answer calls.

Note that if you are using the CD player and your phone rings, you will have to manually switch to the anylink input. This is mildly irritating, but when it's just me in the car, I am using bluetooth 99% of the time.

Installation is pretty straightforward, and you should find some money from the previous owner(s) down in the centre console too :)

I had the McIntosh out on the weekend to get the Model Number. It's really easy once you know how to do it. I think the Anycarlink would be the best option. Where did you get yours from? The Current Electronics website isn't exactly clear on purchasing. I only got 5 cents out of mine. Previous owner must have been tight :)
Curley5959

Postby helbrookes » Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:25 am

Hi has anyone tried fitting one of these USB/Aux inputs as shown below? I have the stock Kenwood sat nav unit, the black 20 pin is empty , and the display has an aux option.
I also have a space below my console next to my 12v plug for the input, it just has a blank in it at the moment which says AUX on the back.
It looks like it should be pretty straightforward, obviously I would need to have an adapter harness.
I have a 2009 Exiga.
Attachments
subarunavihu.jpg
subarunavihu.jpg (59.16 KiB) Viewed 17110 times
avusbinputback.jpg
avusbinputback.jpg (251.46 KiB) Viewed 17110 times
avusbinputfront.jpg
This unit has the same inputs as mine. the black 20 pin one is empty.
avusbinputfront.jpg (59.9 KiB) Viewed 17110 times
helbrookes

Car: Liberty, Exiga

Postby Curley5959 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:53 pm

My GROM BT3 arrived today from Cushie Audio. I also purchased the Auxillary Cable with USB as an addon.

The McIntosh unit in my 2004 Liberty 3.0R Spec-B is a PF-25511. The removal of the Head Unit is easy once you know where to start and what to lift with a plastic spatula/scraper.

The installation was easy. Simply unplug the CD Changer in the back of the McIntosh, plug the Harness that came with the GROM, then plug the McIntosh CD Changer into the Piggyback connector on the GROM Harness (You will not lose functionality of your CD Stacker with this connector). On the other end of the harness you will find the plug that goes into the GROM unit. Once this has all been fed through into an appropriate place (I chose the bar behind the Cubby - the cubby just pulls out when pried with a platic spatula/scraper from under each vent) it is a matter of plug and play.

After you run the microphone and USB/Aux through to their appropriate places (I have chosen the 12V socket, which has been removed and the cables poked through - Also looking at getting a USB/AUX socket to fit right into the 12V socket to tidy it up), the job was done. Just tidied up cabling and reinstalled the cubby and head unit.

I have some photos I will upload when I get the chance. I may even create a Guide on how to do it :)

Bonus: The Steering Wheel controls worked, with Mode remaining the same (Switch through AM, FM, CD Changer 1 aka CD, CD Changer 2 aka GROM), Next and Prev the same and Volume the same.) When a call comes through it is Up to answer and Down to End.

The only thing that doesnt display is the Title tracks via Aux or Bluetooth. It remains as Track# 50 and so on and no time into song - Not a big deal.
Curley5959

Postby ct23 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:25 pm

Hi guys,

Forgive my ignorance I'm new here - just bought a MY07 GT B Spec and loving it :)

Is the Anycarlink AL-1080A the best way to go? If so, where can it be bought I have searched everywhere online with no luck.

I've also had a look at GROM products on cushieaudio.com.au which seem okay but apparently they disable the factory stereo buttons on the unit and steering wheel and everything must be changed via the phone - definitely not cool.

Is there anything else that anyone recommends? Any other products out there that will do the job?

All I want is AUX connectivity - USB/bluetooth would be nice but AUX is what I desperately need.

ct23

Car: 2007 Liberty GT B Spec

Postby scottb721 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:35 pm

I can't access the relevant posts at the moment but for simple aux in you can just wire a 3.5mm stereo plug directly to the back of your Mac head unit.
08 3.0 spec B
scottb721

Car: 2008 3.0R spec B auto sedan

Postby a9entjones » Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:02 am

ct23 wrote:Hi guys,

Forgive my ignorance I'm new here - just bought a MY07 GT B Spec and loving it :)

Is the Anycarlink AL-1080A the best way to go? If so, where can it be bought I have searched everywhere online with no luck.

I've also had a look at GROM products on cushieaudio.com.au which seem okay but apparently they disable the factory stereo buttons on the unit and steering wheel and everything must be changed via the phone - definitely not cool.

Is there anything else that anyone recommends? Any other products out there that will do the job?

All I want is AUX connectivity - USB/bluetooth would be nice but AUX is what I desperately need.

Howdy. I bought my mates 3.0R a couple of weeks ago, and ordered the Anycarlink 1080B ($220 delivered) from About Sound in NZ, so I'd have bluetooth capability. Turns out that I don't like the sound system, so I'm replacing the lot next weekend. So, I have a practically brand new 1080B that I have no use for. Happy to post it to you for $150. PM me if you're interested.

Cheers.....Jason
a9entjones

Car: 2005 3.0R & 2001 Bugeye WRX

Postby Boldor226 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:13 pm

Having issues with my bt3 ATM first one Bluetooth failed after 6 months then received the 2nd one and Bluetooth connects but no sound is coming out. Make a call and the person can hear me but still no sound, and yes the volume is up. Cushieaudio audio is thinking it's the harness but was working perfect before so that makes no sense. I think I've had 2 lemons in a row. I'll keep you posted but go for the any car one
Boldor226

Car: My08 gtb wagon

Postby shav » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:32 am

Boldor226 wrote:Having issues with my bt3 ATM first one Bluetooth failed after 6 months then received the 2nd one and Bluetooth connects but no sound is coming out. Make a call and the person can hear me but still no sound, and yes the volume is up. Cushieaudio audio is thinking it's the harness but was working perfect before so that makes no sense. I think I've had 2 lemons in a row. I'll keep you posted but go for the any car one

Are you talking about the anycarlink units? Because mine has done the same thing. I can hear phone calls but they cant hear me.
Cheers
Shav

MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium Sedan | HKS Panel filter | Pierburg 3 port | Whiteline adj sways F&R | Cusco HD mounts | Whiteline HD front sway links | Anycarlink AL-1080B | Ultrex s/s 3" CBE | Ultrex PU lip spoiler | Invidia s/s dump pipe and 100cel cat | KiDo tuned | DBA T2 rotors | Intima SS brake pads | Mishimoto TMIC | Koya ISR7 wheels | 265L Kobe fuel pump | Diamond Works SI Drive dial | Bilsteins

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
2012 Focus Cayo 2.0 road bike
2015 Cervelo S5 VWD road bike
shav

Car: MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18915&start=480

Postby Curley5959 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:19 pm

shav wrote:
Boldor226 wrote:Having issues with my bt3 ATM first one Bluetooth failed after 6 months then received the 2nd one and Bluetooth connects but no sound is coming out. Make a call and the person can hear me but still no sound, and yes the volume is up. Cushieaudio audio is thinking it's the harness but was working perfect before so that makes no sense. I think I've had 2 lemons in a row. I'll keep you posted but go for the any car one

Are you talking about the anycarlink units? Because mine has done the same thing. I can hear phone calls but they cant hear me.

BT3 is GROM. With my iPhone 5C, I find that I have to disconnect and reconnect from Bluetooth occasionally from Phone Settings, particularly if I walk out of range when the car is on, or if I turn the car on without phone in range.

When making calls, iPhone sometimes plays up, and I have to switch the Audio Source from GROM Audio, to iPhone/Speaker then back to GROM Audio..

Overall, it is a fantastic unit for reliability and sound, and if you can work around the minor issues that it has, they become second nature and you look into them more as the instructions than issues.
Curley5959

Postby bigBADbenny » Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:58 pm

bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

PreviousNext

Return to Audio options