Mishimoto Radiator + transmission cooler for Auto GT

Posts specific to the 2.5 litre turbo engine

Mishimoto Radiator + transmission cooler for Auto GT

Postby Phong1704 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:32 am

Hey guys,

Just wondering if any one here has had the Mishimoto Radiator installed onto an automatic 07 GT? Their website says that their radiators are made for manual transmissions only and that auto people will require the universal tranmission cooler. my questions are:

1. Has anyone here installed this set up? was the fitment easy peasy?
2. Was there significant reduction in temps? worth it?
3. Any issues with running a transmission cooler during the colder months while warming the car up?

I'm looking at getting supporting mods now to increase longevity of things in my engine bay. thoughts?

Edited - here's the link to the trans cooler
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mishimoto-Un ... 35e03e0903

Here is the radiator
http://www.prospeedracing.com.au/produc ... 52d09.html

chhuurrrss!
Phong1704

Car: 07 Liberty GT Spec B!tcchh!

Re: Mishimoto Radiator + transmission cooler for Auto GT

Postby GONEWALKABOUT » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:41 am

are you having cooling problems? otherwise i cant really see the need unless your engine is producing so much power and heat or you radiator is currently leaking. Money is probably spent better elsewhere, saving up for a good head gasket or head studs
GONEWALKABOUT

Postby Phong1704 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:07 am

I'm not experiencing cooling problems at the moment, just looking at options I have to help protect my engine. I figured if it's going to have to be replaced better to do some research now so I know what to expect should anything happen down the line - knock on wood.

I figured (with my extremely limited knowledge of cars) that having a cooler engine will also prevent head gasket issues too. correct me if I'm wrong though
Phong1704

Postby bigBADbenny » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:21 am

It's not really reqd for a daily, if you want to keep tabs on coolant temp I recommend an obdii monitor eg btSsm, or elm327 bt and eg torque...
Ecu data is way more precise than the coolant temp gauge.
Changing your coolant every 2 years is the go for avoiding hg issues as is a safe tune. Aged, acidic coolant destroys HGs...

So with my btSsm I know my coolant is around 90c, but on a super hot day in a traffic jam I've seen 105c...
Any more than that would be concerning...

If tracking, the obdii gauge will let you know if your stock cooling systems are adequate or need upgrading :)
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby Phong1704 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:38 am

bigBADbenny wrote:It's not really reqd for a daily, if you want to keep tabs on coolant temp I recommend an obdii monitor eg btSsm, or elm327 bt and eg torque...
Ecu data is way more precise than the coolant temp gauge.
Changing your coolant every 2 years is the go for avoiding hg issues as is a safe tune. Aged, acidic coolant destroys HGs...

So with my btSsm I know my coolant is around 90c, but on a super hot day in a traffic jam I've seen 105c...
Any more than that would be concerning...

If tracking, the obdii gauge will let you know if your stock cooling systems are adequate or need upgrading :)

I think I will be getting an obdii monitor in the near future, i think it will be good for me to learn and log data as I really have no clue at this point.

At the moment I have Matt's tune in my car supported with dump, mids and 3 port. I'm not chasing big numbers and I'm pretty happy with the performance now as a daily and I plan on keeping this car for a long time so I thought perhaps I should start look at getting mods that will allow me to keep the motor happy.
Phong1704

Postby HardwareBoB » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:51 am

Everybody should have a bluetooth ODB2 scanner - $10-20 from ebay is too cheap not to.

I also just grabbed a BTSSM because my car doesn't do ODB2 except for errors, plus you can get a learning view.
HardwareBoB

Car: MY05 GT 5MT Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=27514

Postby vroy2007 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:44 pm

I have an obd 2 ultra gauge, even on a very hot day sitting in traffic I've never seen the coolant temp go past 93 deg, always hovers around 87 usually, and sits at 84 when moving.
vroy2007

Car: 2007 Subaru Liberty Gt Spec B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=25261

Postby alexeiwoody » Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:07 am

Bigger radiator doesn't keep engine cooler.

Engine needs to be hot to work properly. There's a reason it's called 'operating temperature' and it's controlled by your thermostat.

To keep your engine happy - service regularly, keep fluids full, only tune on a dyno with knock ears, run good fuel 98 or better. Save money for an engine rebuild/headgasket/major service whatever comes first.

Auto cooler is a good idea if you flog the car.
Running no. of weeks without breaking something in the lib: 0
No. of things still to fix in in the lib: 97
alexeiwoody

Car: MY07 LibGT 5EAT

Return to 2.5T engine specific