Wagon Subwoofer Enclosure Hideaways

Stereos, amps, phone kits, Navi...

Re: Wagon Subwoofer Enclosure Hideaways

Postby tom_kauf » Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:16 pm

rynogee wrote:Right, got it. That helps a lot, thanks.

Let me think about it. I'll try and pull the cubby hole pieces out to confirm what's behind and if mounting the metal mcintosh grile is an option in my outback. I had anticipated going to a 10 inch custom, but this has got me thinking more.

I'm glad :D . Took me a while to compile all of the above pictures, but I realised you probably know just as little about about McIntosh interior trim pieces as I do about Outback ones.

And since you won't be relying on the underpowered McIntosh Amp, you'll be able to go for a much more powerful 8" sub than the guys who stick with low-powered subs because the Amp can't drive it otherwise.
**Depth is the only issue. If you're going this route, fyi the 10.5cm deep Polk MM840 was bascially already a tiny bit too deep. It was touching the outer metal skin of the car's fender. So just go for a 'shallow-mount' one, or any that are not as deep.**

I didn't check if/how the cubby hole is attached on my left-hand side, when installed my 12V outlet the other week. If you need to get behind the cubby hole, removing the whole side-trim is unfortunately a pain. But you can get quite a bit of access by undoing the rear attachment points.
You'd probably work this out easily, but fyi there are 2 screws (circled). And before the side-trim comes loose, you'll need to remove the grey pillar 'A' (2 clips), and the Boot-opening-strip 'B' (where the boot lid latch is - 4 or so clips). Oh and that b-shaped carpet board (clips just pull out), and the styrofoam underneath.

[Stealth & Speed - Comfort & Practicality]: My 2008 MY09 GT SpecB Wagon - Manual 200,000km
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Car: 2008 Liberty GT SpecB Manual Wagon

Postby rynogee » Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:35 pm

seems with the outback I'd have to completely replace or slice apart the main trim piece. I can't access the cavity and grille in the same way as the liberty's with the mcintosh. So there doesn't seem to be much advantage or any greater simplicity in going with an 8" with the grille. Still thinking I'll go down the custom box route at this stage, probably on LHS. I'll have to hack apart the trim as well, but get the benefit of going with a better sub.
rynogee

Car: Outback 2007

Postby tom_kauf » Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:42 pm

Ok, thanks for the update, because any non McIntosh Liberties/Outbacks will probably be in the same boat.
[Stealth & Speed - Comfort & Practicality]: My 2008 MY09 GT SpecB Wagon - Manual 200,000km
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Postby GONEWALKABOUT » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:09 pm

Might have missed it but are you guys still running the stock Mac headunit? I thought they didnt have RCA outputs so how are you going about running multiple amps
GONEWALKABOUT

Postby tom_kauf » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:46 pm

GONEWALKABOUT wrote:Might have missed it but are you guys still running the stock Mac headunit? I thought they didnt have RCA outputs so how are you going about running multiple amps

Yes, keeping the stock McIntosh Headunit. By taking the Sub output of the McIntosh Amp, and feeding that into a Amp with Speaker Level inputs (or using a line level converter). Balanced inputs are also recommended since the McIntosh Amp is a balanced amp. And I decides to go with a 4ohm Sub, to keep everything the same as stock to avoid issues.
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Postby GONEWALKABOUT » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:57 pm

yeah nice! any implications due to the size of the amp or what not as this is almost bridging? Just a have a 1000rms mono collecting dust (from a past install)

EDIT: on further note, noobishly only just realised its a 5 chan, any problems with directly swapping in a different 5 chan? (after swapping the input harnesses etc)
GONEWALKABOUT

Postby tom_kauf » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:11 pm

Mine is a 700W single channel Amp, so it shouldn't be an issue. Having said that, my setup isn't wired up yet. But I know a couple of other forum members run a Sub Amp off the stock Amp.
Not sure in regard to bridging - I don't know enough about it.

Well if you can't bridge your 5 channel into a single or dual channel (I think any of the dual voice coil subs would work with that), then yes replacing the stock Amp will probably give you even better results. Because afaik, the head unit is pretty standard, so replacing the mediocre McIntosh Amp will give great results. I think more people have done that, than go with the 2 amp option. It's just a LOT of wiring, since there are 13/14 speakers (depending if Pre/Post FL).
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Postby GONEWALKABOUT » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:20 pm

hmm surely replacing Mac amp with another 5 channel ie 4 to the doors (i have door speakers from previous install as well which would actually be able to use increased power) and then the 5th channel to the sub wouldnt require that much rewiring as it would use all the same connections to the speakers, already existing. In my case yes its Post-FL
GONEWALKABOUT

Postby tom_kauf » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:51 pm

Yeah, you'd definitely see a gain by replacing the stock amp (even guys who kept the stock speakers said it was a noticeable improvement). So better speakers will definitely give you a more powerful sound system. I think sound quality is pretty good with the stock system, but just a bit weak. So I'll keep all other McIntosh parts stock, except the Sub. I just want to add more punch.
If you're happy to rewire the whole thing, that's good - too much work for me though with stock speakers. But yeah, it's not a massive amount of work - just as long as you're ok with wiring in all the speakers vs just the Sub.
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Postby GONEWALKABOUT » Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:41 pm

thought i may bring this up again! when the funds permit im going to replace all the speakers, in terms of subs im looking at the new jl slimline prouducts (tw3 shallow line) however it only comes in 10 & 12 inch variants, while being only 3.25 inch mounting depth and 400W rms which is crazy.

Was wondering if anyone with more experience in the boot than me knew if you can use stock location but widen it to fit a 10inch sub
GONEWALKABOUT

Postby tom_kauf » Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:20 am

GONEWALKABOUT wrote:thought i may bring this up again! when the funds permit im going to replace all the speakers, in terms of subs im looking at the new jl slimline prouducts (tw3 shallow line) however it only comes in 10 & 12 inch variants, while being only 3.25 inch mounting depth and 400W rms which is crazy.

Was wondering if anyone with more experience in the boot than me knew if you can use stock location but widen it to fit a 10inch sub

With the mounting depths, you'll be fine with either 10" or 12" TW3 Shallow. Even the 12" TW3 Shallow apparently has a 3.5" mounting depth, which is still ok. The polk MM480 has a 4 1/8" (10.48cm) mounting depth, and that was about 1cm too deep.

The thickness above mounting point will be a problem if you plan to use the stock McIntosh grille. The JL Audio website doesn't seem to show how much the sub sticks up from the mounting point (the thickness outwards). But looking at the manufacturer pics, that'll definitely be too thick to fit the stock grille back on (if your car came stock with the McIntosh). So you'd have to make some custom spacers etc if you wanted to keep it looking stock - or just make a custom grille.

As for the subwoofer diameter (which is probably what you wanted to know to begin with), here is a picture of the stock mounting plate. If you're planning to use it, this gives you an idea of how much needs cutting. But because the plate is not flat (the LH side is higher ie sticks out furthe than the RH side), I don't think you'll be able to use the stock plate at all. Because although you could cut a 10" hole, there won't be a flat surface to mount the sub. A 12" hole is out of the question, since there won't be enough (or any) metal left.
So basically, if you make your own custom plate, you could easily fit a 10" shallow sub, and maybe even a 12". Depends how much you want to modify. A 12" will probably require some trimming of the carpeted side-trim (have a look at the trim pic at the top of this page).

tom_kauf
-stickered-

Postby GONEWALKABOUT » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:25 am

thats perfect, appreciate it! looks like it may have to be a custom bracket.. sigh!
GONEWALKABOUT

Postby tom_kauf » Sat May 20, 2017 11:52 am

I realised I hadn't posted my Subwoofer Amp install 8), including DynaMat Xtreme (Vibration damper) and the thickest DynaLiner (1/2" Acoustic & Thermal insulator) on all lower panels from the rear-footwell back (where the thick factory under-carpet foam stops). I still haven't done the doors, but that will follow.

The thin little 750W RMS JL-Audio Amp (Model HD750/1) fits perfectly into that spot, and clears the electric seat in all positions. Even at only 49mm thin, there isn't much more room in height.

Under our driver's seat, the carpet has a perfect lowered section for an amp. Including Bolts fixed to the floor-pan, under the cut-outs in the carpet.
That's probably the location of the McIntosh amp for LHD cars.

Dynamat Xtreme under the rear seat (also for reducing the extra noise from the aftermarket fuel pump).

Dynaliner over the top of it (not stuck down, so it can be removed to access the Fuel Pump etc if needed).
At 1/2" thick, it's definitely a tight fit to get the seat base back down.

Dynamat Xtreme in the boot area, incl spare wheel well (the picture was taken before the wheel arches got done).
Afterwards I also cut out the Dynamat that covered the clips for the factory foam panels that go on top.

1/2" Dynaliner in the boot area, incl spare wheel well.
Afterwards I had to cut out 10x10cm sections for the factory foam panels to clip down properly.
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Postby Russ59 » Wed May 24, 2017 7:41 am

Ok, so after doing a McIntosh upgrade over the standard Kenwood cd/radio/tape deck in the Outback, I decided to make the most of the amp and hooked up a subwoofer to it. Rather than messing around pulling out rear panels and trying to line up another one from a Liberty, I opted to make my own custom enclosure and use one of the storage pockets to house the rear of the sub. As most people will know the stock sub in the Lib's is an 8" and going on recommendations there were only a few choices which seemed to work well with the McIntosh amp (from other owners and their experiences) I did some homework using the specs that others had recommended but as I was using a custom box I wasn't limited to an 8" sub and came across a JBL 10" on Amazon which shipped to Australia (arrived yesterday in under 2 weeks) After a bit of shaping and padding and upholstering I ended up with a tidy enclosure that doesn't interfere with accessing the spare wheel and tools and seats can still be folded down with no fuss :) I used some sound deadening to line the storage pocket and the enclosure before mounting the sub, I just have to make up a grill now to finish it off, the end result, this system has a great sound and the JBL sub is perfectly matched, (perhaps another option for others wanting to upgrade the stock sub) I'm really happy with the result :)

Russ59

Car: MY06 Outback R Premium 3.0

Postby tom_kauf » Thu May 25, 2017 1:44 pm

Very nice! 8)

That enclosure looks really well made. You saved over US$500 by doing that yourself. The WickedCAS Sub boxes they make for our vehicles are great quality, and worth the money, but it's always cheaper for people to make it themselves if they have the skill.

If the Sub is a 500 Watt one like the cone says, I'm surprised the factory Amp can drive it. The factory sub was 40W if I remember correctly? Although the 500W is probably the peak output (which is totally different to continually RMS Wattage), but still impressive.

My Sub is 500W RMS (1000W max), so I definitely needed the additional Amp, which is working well.
tom_kauf
-stickered-

PreviousNext

Return to Audio options