Stereos, amps, phone kits, Navi...

Re: Wagon Subwoofer Enclosure Hideaways

Postby rynogee » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:24 am

yeah mine's an outback, so would need to move/modify the 12v socket thing
rynogee

Car: Outback 2007

Postby tom_kauf » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:36 am

bigBADbenny wrote:I'm considering this to run a second MM840 due to the sheer awesome :)

:D That would be awesome!!
[Stealth & Speed - Comfort & Practicality]: My 2008 MY09 GT SpecB Wagon - Manual 200,000km
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Car: 2008 Liberty GT SpecB Manual Wagon

Postby bigBADbenny » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:00 am

Well its just great running one from the stock amp... Meaning in the long term:

2x with say a mono 800w amp w/ remote level control would be bonkers!

With the resurgence in bass music, eg trap footwork melodic etc, its time to start a dedicated thread for bass lovers. :idea:
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby tom_kauf » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:12 am

Yeah, with the stock Amp barely bring able to drive an MM840, another amp will be a good idea.

Or, u could go for even more powerful 8" subs since you're not limited by the high sensitivity needed for the stock amp. But then it's starting to get $s, and maybe over-the-top.
[Stealth & Speed - Comfort & Practicality]: My 2008 MY09 GT SpecB Wagon - Manual 200,000km
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Postby rynogee » Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:08 pm

can anyone suggest where you'd get some of those plastic panels for the inside rear boot trim - a wrecker might be the only/best option?
rynogee

Postby tom_kauf » Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:52 pm

Yeah, wreckers ot new from the dealer. Dealership parts are surprisingly cheap sometimes, but wreckers would still be your best bet.
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Postby bigBADbenny » Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:45 pm

tom_kauf wrote:Yeah, with the stock Amp barely bring able to drive an MM840, another amp will be a good idea.

I run it at 0 or +2 if I'm feeling frisky so all good for now. Big difference to the overall sound though. :good:

And yeah I munted my rear cover rather well trying to fit it so I'm also after a new or s/h example. :mrgreen:
bigBADbenny

Postby tom_kauf » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:02 pm

Ok cool. They do sound good :).

The McIntosh Grille? I'm pretty sure I still have mine. PM me if you're interested. It's in excellent condition. I can courier it through work for free. Just make an offer and it's yours.... I'm 99% sure I kept it, so forgive me if I'm wrong. I'll send u a picture when I'm home tonight.
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Postby bigBADbenny » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:14 pm

Roger: HUA!
bigBADbenny

Postby tom_kauf » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:25 pm

PM Sent :)
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Postby tom_kauf » Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:20 am

rynogee wrote:can anyone suggest where you'd get some of those plastic panels for the inside rear boot trim - a wrecker might be the only/best option?

What panels were you after? I'm sorry if I didn't think of selling you my Sub Grille, but I think you'll need more than just that piece. There is a metal plate with a round cut-out (where the sub scres to), which you will also need. I still have that if you'd like. But I think the big plastic side-trim will be different too (not 100% sure though). So there may be up to 3 pieces you'll need.

EDIT: This is what I mean. You're welcome to have it, just make an offer (free postage is included). It's only sitting around at home anyway.

tom_kauf
-stickered-

Postby bigBADbenny » Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:37 am

rynogee:
if you find a suitable wagon to provide the RHS rear trim, I'd be interested in the LSH trim.

I'll PM you pics of my very slightly damaged, completely gutted sub grille too. Yours if you pay post :)
bigBADbenny

Postby rynogee » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:39 am

ok, thanks, I'm not completely sure what I do or don't need yet. I just went in to an installer for a quote/look into doing the box for me and am not 100% sure where I'll go with it.
rynogee

Postby tom_kauf » Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:29 pm

rynogee wrote:ok, thanks, I'm not completely sure what I do or don't need yet. I just went in to an installer for a quote/look into doing the box for me and am not 100% sure where I'll go with it.

If you go stick with the stock 8" sub size, all you'll need is a maximum of 3 Subaru parts and no custom work to physically make it fit. That'll be pretty cheap - under $200 for everything including the Sub (plus an inexpensive Amp if you don't already have one).
*If you can remove your right-hand storage bin to make it look like the last picture in this post, all you'll need is the Metal Sub Plate and a Grille. If you can't, you'll need need the whole side boot trim as well.*

And as long as you avoid the weak McIntosh sub and buy a decent eg Polk (ask Ben, he still has his), it'll sound good. Only people like me spend crazy $s to go to up to a 10". Then do you need to get a Box/Enclosure made like the ones in this thread. That gets $$s, plus more $s for a bigger sub, and a bigger amp.

I wish I knew the Outbacks (or even standard Liberties) better, but if you post a pic of your boot we can work it out.

To give you an idea, this is what the Factory Sub enclosure looks like (sorry for the terrible picture, it is all I could find):

This is what the sub grille looks like (clips just pull off):

Underneath it looks like this. The meal plate I posted earlier screws into the factory holes that I think every Outback/Liberty will have. So it should be a straight fit:

With the metal plate unscrewed (this is probably what yours looks like - minus the sound insulation styrofoam. Only the McInstosh cars would have the sub plate):
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Postby rynogee » Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:49 pm

Right, got it. That helps a lot, thanks.

Let me think about it. I'll try and pull the cubby hole pieces out to confirm what's behind and if mounting the metal mcintosh grile is an option in my outback. I had anticipated going to a 10 inch custom, but this has got me thinking more.
rynogee

PreviousNext

Return to Audio options