My In-Dash Nexus 7 Project

Stereos, amps, phone kits, Navi...

Re: My In-Dash Nexus 7 Project

Postby bigBADbenny » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:01 pm

Automatically overrides the stock HU iirc.

If you look up the SD card based maps Kenwood Nav retrofit threads, its the one item that hasnt been sucessfully resolved, due to the complexity of the factory protocols for the override IIRC.
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby psy » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:30 am

A crazy Canadian has his KNA-G510 (SD Based GPS) muting his Subaru radio for Nav instructions
http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.p ... 2#poststop

I'm far from electrical minded, so have not tried what he's suggesting as the voice isn't mission critical to me.
2016 Subaru Forester XT Premium
psy
-stickered-

Car: 2016 Forester XT Premium

Postby gradg » Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:18 am

Just wanting some clarification here before I begin this. Ive got an MY08 GTB that had satnav installed from factory. It blows and im looking to do the nexus swap asap. But my main concern is bluetooth capability. Ive read through all 30 pages on this thread and to me thats the only area that is still grey for me.

Is handsfree an option here? If youre tethering or connecting via wifi, can you also pair the devices via bluetooth for calls but run the music from the HDD?

ive aquired my nexus 7 and ill begin the toot process as soon as I get home so I can have it operating as I want it to before the install.

I wanted to confirm also that I need the japan parts dash piece, as mine has the buttons.

Cheers for any info! Was a great read.
gradg

Car: MY08 Liberty GT Spec B 6MT Wagon
Profile URL: www.grahamgee.com

Postby HyRax » Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:26 am

gradg wrote:Is handsfree an option here? If youre tethering or connecting via wifi, can you also pair the devices via bluetooth for calls but run the music from the HDD?

Bluetooth and wifi are two separate wireless technologies and can operate simultaneously.

You can pair any Bluetooth hands free kit and it will send voice data to the Nexus. Normally the audio output in the call is sent back to the hands free kit, but you can configure the call to output voice data via a preferred output instead, in this case via the Nexus speakers which is in turn connected to the car speakers.

You can redirect music (media) output in the same way as well.

Next time you make a phone call on your phone, look at the options that appear for voice output. By default it goes to the phone's earpiece, but you can also select hands free which outputs the audio via the phone speaker. If you have a Bluetooth headset connected, an additional option appears to give you the option to output audio to that, etc.
I was going to procrastinate, but I put it off...
HyRax

Car: ADM MY19 3.6R Outback
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15482

Postby gradg » Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:28 pm

Apologies for the ambiguity there. I understand completely that they're both different and can run simultaneously. I guess it was just because it was a tablet etc I was curious as to how the connectivity would go and if it would run through stereo with the usb audio or if it would try to run the bluetooth via the nexus on board speaker.

Thanks for the clarification though, much appreciated! Looking forward to getting this underway!
gradg

Postby gradg » Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:42 am

Another quick question. Setting as the dash cluster apparently picks up the time of day from the satnav (mine doesnt and permanently reads --:--) is there a way to set the dash clock once the satnav is removed?

I dont have the info display and dont intend on ordering the part, as it shows info that my dash does anyway, except for the time.....

This is in an my08 gtb.

It doesn't bother me a great deal, just wondering what others had experienced, and where it is set up if the satnav isnt there from factory?

Cheers!
gradg

Postby gradg » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:24 am

Okay, root is done, all be it a PITA to wrap my head around after no sleep and an 8 hour drive and on a mac..... but its done and working fine. Torque loaded up.

Im wondering if statts you can help me out with the basic settings within the ROM that need to ne selected. Ive been away from computer lingo for some time and a lot of it im not making sense of, more so for the application of a car install side of things.

Any further help appreciated!

I might put together a guide for mac users if theres enough calling for it?? Its not hard now that I know how, but the info was tough to find and put together.
gradg

Postby bigBADbenny » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:57 pm

Encouragement for doing that as every time I go through the process (rooting an android) it seems to be a day of research, attempts and finally bludgeoning through complete with exploding brain, only to find I've conveniently forgotten all the nitty gritty next time around. :cry: :roll: :P
bigBADbenny

Postby gradg » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:55 am

bigBADbenny wrote:Encouragement for doing that as every time I go through the process (rooting an android) it seems to be a day of research, attempts and finally bludgeoning through complete with exploding brain, only to find I've conveniently forgotten all the nitty gritty next time around. :cry: :roll: :P

This Mac or PC related?

There are plenty of walkthroughs with PC to root the NExus 7, the root process is different with every device, I found my Galaxy tab 10.1 VERY easy to do.

In any case what I had to do on a mac was basically a mash up of 2 or 3 different walkthroughs and piece it together, as there are tools that are designed for PC and not mac. The script-based tools for mac are quite specific to nexus models, where as some of the packs for PC contain information for 1st and 2nd gen.

Back to the nexus, I'm struggling with this full-screen GUI. I've designed it and created my hotspots and tested the functions..... can not figure out how to get it to run full screen?

EDIT: for those playing at home, this is what I am talking about. Has this got anything to do with how it was created in UCCW?

I created this as one widget in UCCW, all the buttons etc are hotspots which i've set up, I modified an existing UI found online to suit what I wanted (my interior is black leather and matte silver accents, so I wanted to keep the colour tones down, unless I could find an icon set that would suit the defi-look cluster) In any case - that can always come later.

What I want to do is have it fill the areas marked with the actual widget, so it looks more natural. at the moment it's just a widget on a black background. I guess I could go back and expand to design a wallpaper that would line up, . I can drop the widget onto the homescreen and resize it but this is as big as it will go - for some reason in UCCW I couldn't get it to fill the whole edit area, i.e these areas were being shown as transparent in the UCCW screen.

any help?

Running Nova Launcher on the Timur Kernel on CM.

gradg

Postby seanmau5 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:38 am

I'm pretty sure my old set up was running the Nova launcher and I was able to set it up to use the whole screen, but unfortunately I've since sold it and am unsure of what settings I had to change..

Sorry I can't be of more help, but at least you know it can now definitely be done.
~ Team VW ~ Das Auto ~
seanmau5
-stickered-

Car: 2009 Volkswagen Passat CC V6
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13255

Postby gradg » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:51 am

seanmau5 wrote:I'm pretty sure my old set up was running the Nova launcher and I was able to set it up to use the whole screen, but unfortunately I've since sold it and am unsure of what settings I had to change..

Sorry I can't be of more help, but at least you know it can now definitely be done.

I know it can be done, I can resize the widget no problem - it's a matter of manipulating UCCW and Nova in the correct way - that's the part i'm unsure of how to do.

Thanks anyway!
gradg

Postby gradg » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:31 pm

Okay,

I'm not sure wether I'm missing something, late to the party, or what......

Equipment I have:
Nexus 7
MiniBox DCDC USB PSU
FSL-21
USB OTG Y cable
Behringer USB DAC

The OTG cable I have has:
MicroUSB Female
MicroUSB Male
Std USB Female

I've sat down to put together a simple block diagram so that when it comes to put all this together in the car, I've got something to follow.

Keep in mind i'm doing this with only the tablet, DCDC and FSL-21 in hand at the moment. So I havent got things laid out on a table ready to go.

I've read through all 30 pages of this thread again to get an idea of what plugs in to what and there's not really enough, given the variety in install situations for the different users. It's all well and good to have a list of things you require, but what plugs into what always helps.

The part that I am unsure of is the USB DAC into the hub? as well as the HDD? I've looked at it for some time trying to figure out a way to get the USB DAC direct from the tablet, but then I am unsure as to where I need to plug the hub into, if I use that female USB for the USB DAC.

Anyway.... this is what I've got. Can anyone tell me if this is correct? if not, could you let me know what needs to change?

gradg

Postby gradg » Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:00 pm

Anyone...... anyone....... Bueller?
gradg

Postby bigBADbenny » Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:45 pm

What's the plug config of your otg y cable?
Got a pic?
bigBADbenny

Postby gradg » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:54 pm

Ive listed that above benny

Micro female and micro male as well as a full size female

Screenshot_2014-08-24-20-52-05_20140824205342676.jpg
Screenshot_2014-08-24-20-52-05_20140824205342676.jpg (98.45 KiB) Viewed 5037 times
gradg

PreviousNext

Return to Audio options