Dashboard camera

Body kits, seat covers, fluffy dice, and other non-performance mods.

Dashboard camera

Postby renan_don18 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:34 pm

Hey guys,

I'm looking to get a decent dashboard camera, can anyone recommend a cheap-ish one that does the job? ebay items also acceptable.

Thanks in advance
renan_don18

Car: Subaru Liberty 2.5i
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=25830

Re: Dashboard camera

Postby seanmau5 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:23 am

Check out Blackvue. They've got some really good stuff.
~ Team VW ~ Das Auto ~
seanmau5
-stickered-

Car: 2009 Volkswagen Passat CC V6
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13255

Postby renan_don18 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:43 am

seanmau5 wrote:Check out Blackvue. They've got some really good stuff.

Thanks, ill have a look :)
renan_don18

Postby nytrojen » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:42 am

If you just want a basic dashcam, these are REALLY good value for money. I bought one for every car in the family:

http://dashcamtalk.com/g1w/

Although I actually got the G1WH upgraded model which has a slightly higher view angle (140 deg vs 120deg), but it's a pretty negligible difference really.

Well worth the money, and all of mine (I bought 5 all up) seem to be working perfectly
nytrojen
-stickered-

Postby renan_don18 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:50 am

nytrojen wrote:If you just want a basic dashcam, these are REALLY good value for money. I bought one for every car in the family:

http://dashcamtalk.com/g1w/

Although I actually got the G1WH upgraded model which has a slightly higher view angle (140 deg vs 120deg), but it's a pretty negligible difference really.

Well worth the money, and all of mine (I bought 5 all up) seem to be working perfectly

Thank you, these look really good actually. Can they be mounted on the dash itself or just the windcreen?
renan_don18

Postby nytrojen » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:58 am

They come with a suction cup mount. If you want to attach it to your dash, you'll probably have to use a sticky mount as well:

http://www.arkon.com/sticky-dash-mount-pad.html

nytrojen
-stickered-

Postby renan_don18 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:33 am

nytrojen wrote:They come with a suction cup mount. If you want to attach it to your dash, you'll probably have to use a sticky mount as well:

http://www.arkon.com/sticky-dash-mount-pad.html

Awesome, so im able to flip the recording?
renan_don18

Postby nytrojen » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:48 pm

Plenty of software out there easily able to flip video. Download the official GoPro software if you want something really user friendly to do it
nytrojen
-stickered-

Postby renan_don18 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:33 pm

nytrojen wrote:Plenty of software out there easily able to flip video. Download the official GoPro software if you want something really user friendly to do it

That's true. Question about those "sensor" things like with the G1WH .. Do i NEED to install those?
renan_don18

Postby nytrojen » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:56 pm

No
nytrojen
-stickered-

Postby renan_don18 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:11 pm

nytrojen wrote:No

thanks for all the help :)
renan_don18

Postby psy » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:34 pm

I'm using a cheap Möbius action cam. Might upgrade eventually, but this records a pretty decent image http://i.imgur.com/HKcmTfGl.jpg
2016 Subaru Forester XT Premium
psy
-stickered-

Car: 2016 Forester XT Premium

Postby renan_don18 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:31 pm

psy wrote:I'm using a cheap Möbius action cam. Might upgrade eventually, but this records a pretty decent image http://i.imgur.com/HKcmTfGl.jpg

Wow that is actually pretty clear. Thanks for the suggestion, Justin, much appreciated but I've already ordered some and should come in soon. Maybe I'll check out that Mobius one for when my sister gets her P's.
renan_don18

Postby tom_kauf » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:16 am

nytrojen wrote:Although I actually got the G1WH upgraded model which has a slightly higher view angle (140 deg vs 120deg), but it's a pretty negligible difference really.

BEWARE all cheap Asian dashcams, even these. I bought 4 of the ones above for mine/my gf's/the work car (although I was told by a dashcam expert friend of mine to steer clear of cheap dashcams). All 4 shat themselves as soon as the mid-day sun came out. And that was even though I bought from the reputable seller who doesn't have cheap copies of these (the one that Dashcamtalk recommended). I tried various memory cards but in anything above 30deg, they just overheat (resulted in Memory errors). They worked perfectly for the cooler hours of the day.

I got a refund, but ended up buying from dashcamsaustralia.com.au , which has worked great. The budget only stretched to 1 cam, but a few mounts that let me swap it depending on the car I drive. Not everyone needs the high temperature resistant model that I got (up to 70deg), but I'd highly recommend to spend at least $200 on a cam. Cheapies might end up loosing the footage that could save you thousands.

I have a VicoVation, tucked in behind my rear vision mirror. Has 170deg view at 1080p HD. Kinda boxy looking but oh well.... Nicely hidden, so other road-users can't easily tell it apart from the mirror, and does not block any of my vision.
[Stealth & Speed - Comfort & Practicality]: My 2008 MY09 GT SpecB Wagon - Manual 200,000km
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Car: 2008 Liberty GT SpecB Manual Wagon

Postby renan_don18 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:57 am

tom_kauf wrote:
nytrojen wrote:Although I actually got the G1WH upgraded model which has a slightly higher view angle (140 deg vs 120deg), but it's a pretty negligible difference really.

BEWARE all cheap Asian dashcams, even these. I bought 4 of the ones above for mine/my gf's/the work car (although I was told by a dashcam expert friend of mine to steer clear of cheap dashcams). All 4 shat themselves as soon as the mid-day sun came out. And that was even though I bought from the reputable seller who doesn't have cheap copies of these (the one that Dashcamtalk recommended). I tried various memory cards but in anything above 30deg, they just overheat (resulted in Memory errors). They worked perfectly for the cooler hours of the day.

I got a refund, but ended up buying from dashcamsaustralia.com.au , which has worked great. The budget only stretched to 1 cam, but a few mounts that let me swap it depending on the car I drive. Not everyone needs the high temperature resistant model that I got (up to 70deg), but I'd highly recommend to spend at least $200 on a cam. Cheapies might end up loosing the footage that could save you thousands.

I have a VicoVation, tucked in behind my rear vision mirror. Has 170deg view at 1080p HD. Kinda boxy looking but oh well.... Nicely hidden, so other road-users can't easily tell it apart from the mirror, and does not block any of my vision.

Thanks for the warning, mate. Damn, hopefully they don't shit themselves when i get them then, it's not going to be summer too soon but the heat is inevitable. I guess i'll have to wait and see. I'll try get a refund at first signs of crapness.
renan_don18

Next

Return to Cosmetics