Tyre/wheel retailers you would recommend

Springs, shock absorbers, swaybars,
Brakes, Wheels and Tyres

Re: Tyre/wheel retailers you would recommend

Postby <GB> » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:19 am

I recommend and use South Melbourne tyres and more :)
<GB>

Car: 08 Liberty STI
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=14660

Postby MaxterChief » Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:44 pm

deeps wrote:WA: Tyrepower Canning vale

Totally agree. Paul always does a good deal and Matt is fairly laid back and knows what he's talking about.

WA- tyre power canning vale. Wheels always gotten from Germany or Japan.
If you can fight, then fight.
Be prepared for anything.
MaxterChief

Car: Subaru Liberty GT Turbo Premium

Postby BE4ORE » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:15 pm

Anyone in Victoria, go to Preston Wheels & Tyres and see Sitrak... tell him Johnny sent you and he will give you the best price... He's located on the corner of Bell St and Plenty Rd.
everything is better in two's :D
BE4ORE

Car: Liberty B4

Postby sprintman » Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:44 pm

Costco or BJ's.
sprintman

Car: 1994 Liberty GX 2WD

Postby Out6ack » Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:27 pm

Newcastle area see Justin at JAX Edgeworth.
Great service, Great price.
Out6ack

Car: 05 Outback 3.0 Premium.

Postby SHIZNT » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:42 pm

Surprised nobody has mentioned The Wheel Deal in Bayswater VIC. Picked up some tyres from Jarrod, service was great and tyres were the best priced in Melbourne.
SHIZNT

Car: MY05 Liberty GT Wagon 2.0T

Postby maurice » Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:29 pm

My 02 RX now has 250000ks on it. I'm now on my third set of tyres since I bought the car in March 2010.It had new Firestone TZ100's on it which wore out on the edges at only 25000ks and they were not a cheap tyre.After looking at budget tyres I put a set of Westlake SA05's on it at $120 each. A great cheap tyre in the dry or wet but they were a bit noisy. I got 60000ks out of them rotating front to back every 5000ks.I couldn't get them anymore so I put a set of Hifly HF805 91W's at only $105 each. Of the three sets of tyres that have been on the car,I would rate the Hifly's the best. They are very quiet, grip in the dry and wet is excellent and I straight away noticed a big improvement in steering response.
I watch the ad on TV trying to get you to buy Bridgestones but I recon the cost of advertising bumps up their tyre cost.All tyres sold here have to meet Australian standards regardless of price.
maurice

Car: Subaru Liberty 02 B3 RX

Postby maurice » Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:13 pm

If you live in the lake Macquarie area, you can get a set of Hifly's from Argy Tyres Toronto.
maurice

Postby Manaz » Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:27 pm

maurice wrote:All tyres sold here have to meet Australian standards regardless of price.

Great Wall and Chery had 1 star ANCAP safety ratings - but they meet ADRs, so they're as safe as a Mercedes Benz, who get 5 stars across their range, right?.

I refuse to buy tyres because they meet the minimum specification. That said, I'm very happy with my Sumitomo tyres thus far, and they were a lot cheaper than the big brands (Bridgestone, Dunlop, Goodyear, Michelin, etc).
Manaz

Car: MY09 Liberty GT Spec.B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=22465

Postby maurice » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:22 pm

Interesting fact about great Wall & Chery cars . In some products, you do get what you pay for. I haven't been able to find any Australian documented comparisons of quality versus price between makes of tyres sold here. The UK now has an easy to understand compulsory rating sticker on the tyre including dry & wet grip & noise. Hifly's have it on them. The cost of manufacture, advertising and profit margins all contribute to tyre prices. I doubt you will ever see budget Chinese tyres advertised on TV. The ads about 4 tyres for the price of 3 is only on a few selected types of the well known brands. This is done as a sales gimmick to sway you away from the budget tyres.
Fact is that softer rubber gives better grip but wears out quicker ,regardless of tread pattern or price.91W rated tyres have more internal belts to withstand higher speeds and heat build up.
This is my assessment as a 67 yr. old and I welcome any comments on all this.
maurice

Postby jabsy » Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:26 pm

I would avoid ozzy tyres, sydney. Good prices, but their customer service is rubbish.
Sold me the wrong wheels, then when I asked to cancel the order and for a refund BEFORE they'd been sent out to me, he tried to sting me 25% restocking fee.
Bunch of crooks.
Also avoid Associated tyres, Warrigal Road Cheltenham.
This guy told me he didn't want to set my camber to -2. I questioned it, he basically started arguing. What a dick!

I highly recommend for tyres and wheels OTR motorsports in clayton, I also bought my BC BR coilovers from these guys. They know their shit!
I've also had good dealings with Bob Jane on Nepean Highway Moorabbin.
jabsy

Car: MY09 Forester XT Premium

Postby Manaz » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:58 pm

Hi Maurice, comments inline:

maurice wrote:Interesting fact about great Wall & Chery cars . In some products, you do get what you pay for.

Unfortunately, with some things you don't even get that.

I haven't been able to find any Australian documented comparisons of quality versus price between makes of tyres sold here.

There have been some tyre tests/reviews done by the major motoring publications over the years, I suspect they're available online if you search.

The UK now has an easy to understand compulsory rating sticker on the tyre including dry & wet grip & noise. Hifly's have it on them.

Unless these are standardised ratings across all manufacturers, and are produced as part of independent testing, you can't use them to compare across brands. The absolute value that manufacturer X uses for the wear rating on their tyres may well be completely different to that same absolute value when used by another manufacturer.

The cost of manufacture, advertising and profit margins all contribute to tyre prices. I doubt you will ever see budget Chinese tyres advertised on TV.

All true. I bet you'll never see the manufacturers of cheap tyres spending the money required to come up with advanced compounds and designs that the major manufacturers do either.

The ads about 4 tyres for the price of 3 is only on a few selected types of the well known brands. This is done as a sales gimmick to sway you away from the budget tyres.

More to take you away from their premium-brand competitors. Bridgestone don't for a second think that someone shops an S001 or RE002 against a cheap Chinese brand.

Fact is that softer rubber gives better grip but wears out quicker ,regardless of tread pattern or price.

That's part of the equation, sure. But if that was all that mattered, then there'd be no reason for race cars to run slicks in the dry and tyres with tread patterns in the wet - the major job of tread patterns in the wet (road or race, particularly when there's standing water) is to actually get water out from under the contact area - no rubber, no matter how sticky, will grip worth two spits if it's hydroplaning.

91W rated tyres have more internal belts to withstand higher speeds and heat build up.

Yes, there are design requirements to meet certain ratings. But those design requirements say nothing about the quality of manufacture, or the quality of the materials used, or the research that goes into putting those required components into a tyre in the first place.

This is my assessment as a 67 yr. old and I welcome any comments on all this.

I've expanded on your comments (or provided counter-comment) where I thought appropriate.

In the end: When I'm driving 1500kgs of metal and plastic at 100km/h down a freeway in the rain with something like 320 square centimetres of road contact across all four tyres, I'd rather be trusting the safety of my family and those around me on tyres from a tier-1 manufacturer who are pitching their tyres in the market against other best-of-breed products and using their superior design and safety as their unique value proposition than a tier-3 manufacturer who aimed at barely scraping by the legal requirements at the lowest possible price so they could sell their tyres cheaply.
Manaz

Car: MY09 Liberty GT Spec.B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=22465

Postby paulie3.0 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:31 pm

Bosman tyres located in Archerfield (qld) . Beats everyone out there for tyre prices. Great service and advice. http://bosmantyres.com.au/
paulie3.0

Car: 3.0R B Wagon

Postby fedaykin » Thu May 07, 2015 4:48 pm

Manaz wrote:In the end: When I'm driving 1500kgs of metal and plastic at 100km/h down a freeway in the rain with something like 320 square centimetres of road contact across all four tyres, I'd rather be trusting the safety of my family and those around me on tyres from a tier-1 manufacturer who are pitching their tyres in the market against other best-of-breed products and using their superior design and safety as their unique value proposition than a tier-3 manufacturer who aimed at barely scraping by the legal requirements at the lowest possible price so they could sell their tyres cheaply.

Well said. I can't believe so many people entrust their lives and of those around them on cheap, hard tyres.
fedaykin

Car: MY10 GT Wagon 6MT

Postby Tinytonez » Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:47 am

Just had a set of RE003 fitted and wheel aligntment at Jax Bankstown. They scratched the shit out of my rims and denied it. Poor service! I won't be going back there ever again
Tinytonez

PreviousNext

Return to Suspension, Brakes, Wheels and Tyres.